Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323is
2007 X3 Xenon headlight replacement

I need to replace the passenger side headlight bulb on my 2007 X3 that has the bi-xenon lights. it does appear to have the D1S bulb. Does anyone know how to release the thin wire clip that holds the bulb into the mounting bracket? Can it be done without removing the whole headlight assembly from the car to provide access? I can see the bottom of the wire clips appear to be a loop of wire that runs up the back side of the silver ignitor box on both the right and left sides of that silver box and they must snap into part of the bulb bracket at the top. i can't figure out how to release that catch and there is next to no room to access it with the assembly in the car while looking at it through a mirror upside down. What do you use to release it? Small screwdriver, pliers? Nothing I can do with just my hand seems to do anything. Surely someone has replaced these bulbs before. Please respond if you can show me how to do this. None of the youtube clips on BMW xenon bulb replacements appear to have this same clip arrangement.

thx
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM

X3 headlight Pics

Here are some pics of my Xenon headlight bulb and the wire clip that is giving me fits. Can anyone tell me how to release it so I can remove the bulb? The bulbs are in the mountings the writing on the label is right side up so the pics are rotated 90 deg clockwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	421068   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	421069   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	421070   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	421071   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	421072  

Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
This might help or you can browse through other videos on YouTube. Bavarian Auto advertises that they have knowledgeable reps answering questions on their phone lines.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
The '07 + xenon config. does seem to be quite different from the earlier years - which just used a rotating ring to secure the bulb holder.

Can't see how you would be able to release that wire clip with so little room in front - much less re-secure it after bulb replacement.

Unless there is some hidden plastic lever to help load or unload the tension, you would have to either remove some other pieces where the hood comes down, or take out the whole headlight.

Kenza in Santiago might have some insight if he is home.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Hard to put into words, but the clip looks as if it should slide or rotate off of the edge. I hate these kinds of problems - you can see the part that needs to be replaced, but you can't get to it or remove it...
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 AM

So no one in the forums has ever replaced one of these bulbs. I guess that is pretty amazing. I just called the local dealer and they want $470+ to replace the bulb if its just the bulb. They want $286 for just the bulb. That is just outrageous but probably the norm. I have been driving around with just the one bulb but I want to trade or sell this thing soon so I need to get it fixed. I'll try one of the local Houston area BMW indie service shops. Does any one have any recommendations for the Houston area?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by llangston1 View Post
..... They want $286 for just the bulb. That is just outrageous .......
Maybe they have quoted for a pair as it's best to do both sides when the first one goes.

Not sure if all years used the Philips D1S bulb, but:

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/Philips-43.../pb-d1s-4k.htm

Worth getting the bulbs yourself and paying a competent tuner shop that specializes in HID lights to install for you?

Or maybe KBcarstuff can supply instructions on that clip for the LCI E83.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Here you go. $67.00

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_X3...17217509x3.htm