Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-13-2004, 10:20 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Euro Headlights the real ones

Finally talked someone into ordering them for me best of all they are cheap enough where I can sell mine and actually break even One was already in the usa and the other side had 300 of them in germany, hopefully its sent without any problems
I will be adding the vertical aim control that I have been wanting to do for awhile, Like Daniel said I could have used my factory ones for this mod, and I know he is right but the deal I'm getting on the euros is to good to pass up on. I will be ordering the motors and switches and such as soon as I have them in my hands
Will post pics and info on this project as it goes on
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 AM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,625
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
I will be adding the vertical aim control that I have been wanting to do for awhile
Most people who have cars with the headlight range adjustment have never had a need to use it. Are you sure you might not find a more useful control to mount in the trim control panel position? I figured your Z3 would be short of switch positions by now, but maybe that is because I know Ron and some of his projects.

Feel free to write me with any questions if you go ahead with the project. I will see if I can answer them based on the homoligation of my car for the TÜV.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2004, 05:57 AM
///M Rakete's Avatar
///M Rakete ///M Rakete is offline
Rocket Scientist
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,450
Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Let's say I didn't want the leveling adjustment, would the Euro-spec headlight assemblies be a direct plug-n-play replacement for the US-spec ones? Also what's different about the Euro-spec ones, beam pattern?

Thanks.
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM Stage I Tune, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig",
plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2004, 06:25 AM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf
Most people who have cars with the headlight range adjustment have never had a need to use it. Are you sure you might not find a more useful control to mount in the trim control panel position? I figured your Z3 would be short of switch positions by now, but maybe that is because I know Ron and some of his projects.

Feel free to write me with any questions if you go ahead with the project. I will see if I can answer them based on the homoligation of my car for the TÜV.

John, yeah I know you are right, this is a thing where the car has a place for it so I want it
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2004, 08:03 AM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Actually I think the headlights are pretty much the same other then the euro ones are ready to accept a few things that the usa ones are not but can be. im really not sure if beam patern is any different.
I was saving for a hardtop but now am thinking the money would be better used on more smaller mods, Talking with daniel and ron there is not a short supply of mods to do
my car is always garaged and I hardly ever drive in bad or cold weather so as bad as I want a hardtop i would rather have all this other stuff
Like JohnF said, I doubt i will use it at all, but the space in the dash that was made for it will be filled with the correct switch now
anal? ; I think so
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2004, 10:31 AM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,625
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
John, yeah I know you are right, this is a thing where the car has a place for it so I want it
I know how that goes!

I once helped a guy replace the outside temperature display in his 316i coupe with an OBC. He felt the A/C with its digital controls made the temperature display look like it was missing buttons and created visual holes in the center console. Now he is as happy as a clam with a nice, uniform stack of glowing buttons.

We haven't yet figured out what to do about his rear drum brakes (with ABS!). He thinks they add a comical inbalance to the car. I say that because I once suggested he might paint them. His reaction suggested that might not be so helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2004, 10:39 AM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,625
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete
Let's say I didn't want the leveling adjustment, would the Euro-spec headlight assemblies be a direct plug-n-play replacement for the US-spec ones? Also what's different about the Euro-spec ones, beam pattern?
What is stamped on the lens? The Z3 units I have seen have had both European and DOT/SAE approval marks. These have had the characteristic 15 degree beam rise off to the right. The European mark is a circled capital E with a country number. A headlight submitted for approval from Germany, for example, would have a circled "E1" on it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Alex Baumann Alex Baumann is offline
Ex-Dictator
Location: *
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,112
Mein Auto: Saab
Forgive my ignorance, I came across this a few times here on the Z forum, but what's the difference between the Euro Headlights and the US (?) ones ?
__________________
"Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2004, 02:17 PM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,625
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
Forgive my ignorance, I came across this a few times here on the Z forum, but what's the difference between the Euro Headlights and the US (?) ones ?
US-bound BMWs changed to a free-form headlight in advance of Europe that lacked a sharp cutoff and 15 degree rise to the right. In the early-90s, the EC/EU relaxed the allowed amount of forward vertical light scatter which allowed BMW to use a common headlight for both Europe and the U.S. I think the E36 compact and Z3 were the first models to get a headlight approved for both markets, at least German ones did! I believe nowadays everyone gets the same headlights (and for that matter, radios).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Alex Baumann Alex Baumann is offline
Ex-Dictator
Location: *
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,112
Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf
US-bound BMWs changed to a free-form headlight in advance of Europe that lacked a sharp cutoff and 15 degree rise to the right. In the early-90s, the EC/EU relaxed the allowed amount of forward vertical light scatter which allowed BMW to use a common headlight for both Europe and the U.S. I think the E36 compact and Z3 were the first models to get a headlight approved for both markets, at least German ones did! I believe nowadays everyone gets the same headlights (and for that matter, radios).
Thanks for the info, John. Much appreciated.
__________________
"Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-14-2004, 02:36 PM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,625
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Keine Ursache!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-14-2004, 06:12 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf
Keine Ursache!
John, Yes thank you for all the info you help us with here. Im sure I will be getting ahold of you
max
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-15-2004, 03:28 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Picked up the left side light today, it comes with the aim motor already installed that saved 55.00 per side, waiting on the other light to come in from germany next week, hope it makes it here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	38462   Click image for larger version

Name:	light1.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	38463  

Last edited by 01silber; 10-15-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Christian's Avatar
Christian Christian is offline
Project No Budget 1.9
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 97
Send a message via AIM to Christian
Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
Picked up the left side light today, it comes with the aim motor already installed that saved 55.00 per side, waiting on the other light to come in from germany next week, hope it makes it here
I've got the euro lights as well. I want to hook up the leveling control, but I'm not sure how. Please post a how-to once you get everything hooked up.
__________________

'97 Boston Green 1.9
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-17-2004, 11:49 AM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
connector part number is 1382559 anyone do anything with this number to get me the complete bmw part number??
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-17-2004, 09:24 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Will post if this is the right one when it comes in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiresh.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	38534  
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-23-2004, 10:29 AM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
I installed the drivers side assembly today not bad at all, I'm still waiting on the pass. side to be shipped. a few notes the euro ones uses H3 & H7 bulbs the H7 was not in the USA version. the beam pattern lens is slightly different
also while i was in there the air box has what looks to be a removable 3in plug where a tube can be attached for cold air or something, the plug was for sure a after thought, it dumps into the fender well
I will have the headlights for sale either a pair or individually they are mint condition
I will post more when the harness and other assembly get here

for sale post here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...658#post936658
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car2.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	38874   Click image for larger version

Name:	car3.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	38875   Click image for larger version

Name:	car1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	38876  

Last edited by 01silber; 10-23-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-23-2004, 03:47 PM
dakarm dakarm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Danville, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
I installed the drivers side assembly today not bad at all, I'm still waiting on the pass. side to be shipped. a few notes the euro ones uses H3 & H7 bulbs the H7 was not in the USA version. the beam pattern lens is slightly different
also while i was in there the air box has what looks to be a removable 3in plug where a tube can be attached for cold air or something, the plug was for sure a after thought, it dumps into the fender well
I will have the headlights for sale either a pair or individually they are mint condition
I will post more when the harness and other assembly get here

for sale post here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...658#post936658

Not sure about S54 M coupes but the S52 does have a cold air hose in the stock airbox. it's fed from the driver side brake duct .
__________________
member of CRS Club
'00 Dakar Duck CRS Edition
'10 335d
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-23-2004, 06:18 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Does anyone know what exactly is the difference between H4 and H7 bulbs, is it just the output 7 is higher then 4 or am i not even close
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
Does anyone know what exactly is the difference between H4 and H7 bulbs, is it just the output 7 is higher then 4 or am i not even close
H4 has two elements.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-23-2004, 08:44 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
ahhh ok, thanks Ron
any idea what that plug is for as in what should be there in the air intake housing, its actually part of the housing that supplies the air box
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
any idea what that plug is for as in what should be there in the air intake housing, its actually part of the housing that supplies the air box
Don't know. Probably another Euro mod that you don't have.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-23-2004, 11:16 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Im looking into it
Pic looks good, I cant wait to get it. thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-01-2004, 01:36 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,817
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
OK got all the parts in now and will be finishing up over the next few days

63128381081 & 082 headlights with aim motors $ 225.00ea
61129410627 wire harness $ 42.00
61318363640 switch $ 25.00
51458397823 switch cover/not needed $ 6.00

sold stock lamps for 300.00 -$300

Last edited by 01silber; 11-19-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-01-2004, 01:44 PM
JonM's Avatar
JonM JonM is offline
Moderator
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,983
Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Are you wiring in the city lights? If yes, consider replacing your stock airbox and switching to cold air intake. It is really difficult to access the driver's side city light harness, even if you hack away at the support/ducting piece that works/feeds into the airbox.
__________________
Jon Maddux

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Euro spec M3 for sale GVsolutions Classifieds 1 01-09-2004 01:05 AM
FOR SALE: Euro spec M3 conv. GVsolutions Classifieds 0 01-08-2004 10:37 PM
Euro spec m3 conv. for sale GVsolutions Classifieds 0 01-08-2004 10:32 PM
(Tim Allen Voice) "The Real Man Test" Guest84 Off-Topic 1 01-09-2002 09:18 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms