Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 2006 E90
E90 Weight Loss

So since i track my car and i have ended up in the prepared class do to my slight weightloss, i figure might as well take it farther. Im trying to figure out more to strip out or replace with out taking away from the car. So far ive stripped out the trunk completly including storage big, i remove rear seats for racing days, cut out cats todays, removed muffler, put lighter rear bumper. Any other thoughts, i was thinking racing seats, lighter battery, etc.

Any other ideas? Because Racecar
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2014, 06:38 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronCrabtree View Post
So since i track my car and i have ended up in the prepared class do to my slight weightloss, i figure might as well take it farther. Im trying to figure out more to strip out or replace with out taking away from the car. So far ive stripped out the trunk completly including storage big, i remove rear seats for racing days, cut out cats todays, removed muffler, put lighter rear bumper. Any other thoughts, i was thinking racing seats, lighter battery, etc.

Any other ideas? Because Racecar
Cameron,
Autocross? No offense, but have you thought of preserving your BMW as it is and getting an inexpensive Miata?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Cameron,
Autocross? No offense, but have you thought of preserving your BMW as it is and getting an inexpensive Miata?
I'm trying to strip appart my car, im trying to take the weight down with out taking away from bmw quality, id rather race a bmw and be different, im going to eventually get a different car and let this one sit around
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Account Under Review

i bet someone told him to do it to a cheaper car, lol
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
if you got tons of money do the heck what you want,

you have free health care now!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 AM
This space for rent

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
if you got tons of money do the heck what you want,

you have free health care now!
Well relatively speaking. Some of us are paying for that "free" health care.

Shakey
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
There's nothing wrong with a BMW competition car (heck, there's nothing more right than a track-prepped BMW!) but I'm not sure what fits your personal definition of "taking away from the car." It's hard to strip out significant weight without affecting its luxury character. Lighter seats can work but the price to keep a premium look (if you care) could be steep. Carpets and sound insulation are the next biggest pile of weight. Stripping out the insulation but re-installing the carpet will leave you with the same look, though it will sound "cheaper." Stripping it all obviously takes you to a whole 'nother place. Ditto for the headliner and door trim panels, if you want to go nuts.

Other ideas: Lightweight (forged) wheels & tires, remove underbody fairings (a few pounds at most). I see you're in Houston so you could always ditch the A/C system....

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
OP, there isn't much else you can do without making irreversible changes. Some things, such as suggested by others will reduce weight and are reversible such as removing carpets and sound insulation, but take tons of time. Leave the battery alone until you are almost getting podium finishes. There's a reason the battery is lighter, there's less of it.

May I suggest you get a real sticky set of Mickey Thompson or Hoosier track-only tires? Your car will act like it lost a thousand pounds. Your wallet will also be a lot lighter and that can't hurt, right?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Yea don't do the lightweight battery. It's not worth it on a street vehicle. Even a track/daily, not worth it.

A lighter set of alloys will give a noticeable bump in acceleration.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
There's nothing wrong with a BMW competition car (heck, there's nothing more right than a track-prepped BMW!) but I'm not sure what fits your personal definition of "taking away from the car." It's hard to strip out significant weight without affecting its luxury character. Lighter seats can work but the price to keep a premium look (if you care) could be steep. Carpets and sound insulation are the next biggest pile of weight. Stripping out the insulation but re-installing the carpet will leave you with the same look, though it will sound "cheaper." Stripping it all obviously takes you to a whole 'nother place. Ditto for the headliner and door trim panels, if you want to go nuts.

Other ideas: Lightweight (forged) wheels & tires, remove underbody fairings (a few pounds at most). I see you're in Houston so you could always ditch the A/C system....
If you remove the under body splash guards, you will create drag and it will slow the car down.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
If you remove the under body splash guards, you will create drag and it will slow the car down.
True, but is it enough to matter at autocross speeds? Either way, yeah, for the tiny weight loss it's better to just leave them and look elsewhere.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
True, but is it enough to matter at autocross speeds? Either way, yeah, for the tiny weight loss it's better to just leave them and look elsewhere.
I think you want it even more at an autocross.

Race cars only having opening under the car for cooling components. Otherwise, there are panels to prevent any air from dragging.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Account Under Review

True true, I'm looking at racing seats already, and tires I have looked at but that will put me in a even higher class, and I'm thinking of thinks which could e replaced with lighters parts I/e carbon fiber or aluminum. If I can find someone to fab stuff I can have aluminum parts inside the car so it still looks like a car but has a race car look. And I've thought of taking out the A/c but it's deffnintlly not worth the gains in Houston. I would die. Lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app