Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,647
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
What about the crowd that envies the beautifully detailed interior, the msport steering wheel, the leather dash, the HUGE idrive screen, even the newer idrive (in my case)... but still think the rear half of the exterior is butt ugly? No, I don't hate the F15 because it makes my car look outdated, I hate it because it's actually ugly to me. I'd love to swap interiors in a heartbeat though. Hell, I don't even mind the front.


That would be the same crowd I am in. I love the interior and the nav screen. I especially like the Sport gear shifter even the ceramic trim as well.
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
adgrant adgrant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,148
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
The E39 owners will love the F chassis and the E60 will not..
I agree with Roadie that the E60 while very controversial at the beginning was a great success.. So many car companies copied the design elements of the bangle butt

This is my theory...When a new design change comes the previous model owners are envious and have hatred towards the newer model because it makes their car outdated regardless if they welcome the design change or not.
Not sure that the E39 owners will love the F10. They may like how it looks (I certainly do), but compared to the E39 it's a bit of a barge.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM
iconoclast iconoclast is offline
Automotive Addict
Location: In, Out & Around...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 256
Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
What about the crowd that envies the beautifully detailed interior, the msport steering wheel, the leather dash, the HUGE idrive screen, even the newer idrive (in my case)... but still think the rear half of the exterior is butt ugly? No, I don't hate the F15 because it makes my car look outdated, I hate it because it's actually ugly to me. I'd love to swap interiors in a heartbeat though. Hell, I don't even mind the front.
I do not care for the looks of the new X5 and the increase in size would steer me back towards the Q7. Better interior, better tech, more refined however in it's final year of basically being the same damn SUV for seven years despite a face lift in '10 and some minor tech additions over the last two years.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Pat_X5's Avatar
Pat_X5 Pat_X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Gabriel Valley - So Cal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,274
Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I do not care for the looks of the new X5 and the increase in size would steer me back towards the Q7. Better interior, better tech, more refined however in it's final year of basically being the same damn SUV for seven years despite a face lift in '10 and some minor tech additions over the last two years.
+1 on the Audi Q7!
I found one (2013 diesel Q7) in Riverside that was almost perfect and it was so plush inside that if it weren't for the lack of the sunroof, I might have been in one.
Plus their pricing was awesome as well as the residual.
Audi would have been my choice because they set their residual bit lower than BMW but at the end of the lease, Audi will end up paying you money for the turn in because they set the value lower than what it's worth.
That's something BMW never will do - pay you at the end of the lease.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 AM
iconoclast iconoclast is offline
Automotive Addict
Location: In, Out & Around...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 256
Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
i owned three different Q7 over the years most recently a '12 Q7 S-Line Prestige+ w/ B&O & air suspension etc etc etc. and it was a great car but unfortunately there isn't anything new available and to do a fourth one when the only change from the '12 is 360 camera isn't exactly a huge selling point to me however if i was shopping a new X5 vs. the current Q7 my money would be on the Q7. better all around package and looks (however the last part is relative and subjective to shopper.)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-14-2014, 12:46 PM
mfeferman mfeferman is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I was one of those E39 owners (who hated the E60 design). In fact, I kept it for 12 years and when I finally pulled the trigger on the new F10, I hated the way it drove. THe steering was horrible, etc...
This isn't a discussion on the E39 vs. E60, but to each his own.
By the way, I've since purchased a diesel E70 and love it! If the F15 drives anything like the F10, I'll avoid.

What really worries me is that I've potentially purchased my last BMW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
Well obviously it's my opinion though I know plenty of people who had E39s who would not buy an E60 because they were too ugly for their taste. I am not sure the BMW management think the Bangle designs were so wonderful, they got rid of him. This whole thread is about the design of the F15 which some find ugly. I disagree, compared to an E60 the F15 is beautiful and elegant. As for what the masses think, I don't particularly care. The F10 is selling well and that thing drives like a boat compared to the E60 or E39. After driving one, I bought an E70 instead. Drove better and had more room.

So to reiterate my opinion, I have always hated most of the Bangle era cars designs, they were mostly awful. I was surprised the E70 actually looked better than it's predecessor. I loved the fact that they got rid of the double hump in favor of the teardrop dash. Shame they dropped that for the F15.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Pat_X5's Avatar
Pat_X5 Pat_X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Gabriel Valley - So Cal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,274
Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeferman View Post
....
By the way, I've since purchased a diesel E70 and love it! If the F15 drives anything like the F10, I'll avoid.

What really worries me is that I've potentially purchased my last BMW.
I know what you mean - I thought the E53 (2001 X5) was the best of the best road magnet SAV, as I have seen many changes over the years.

The electric steering in the new F series is improving and hoping for a more realistic feel by the LCI cycle but I too agree, I love the traditional steering (HPS) in my E70.

As for the last BMW, don't give up hope - BMW usually listens to it's customers and makes changes as needed to satisfy the majority.

The first generation F30 were a disaster making me almost give up on BMW. I figured it's a software change and some force feedback to restore the steering. The suspension, well at least the optional dynamic handling package DHP (ZDH) is a a requirement if you want the stiffer more feeling ride.

Hang in there - we should hopefully see a better generation of F10 and F30 in the future...

Last edited by Pat_X5; 02-14-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 AM
adgrant adgrant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,148
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeferman View Post
I was one of those E39 owners (who hated the E60 design). In fact, I kept it for 12 years and when I finally pulled the trigger on the new F10, I hated the way it drove. THe steering was horrible, etc...

This isn't a discussion on the E39 vs. E60, but to each his own.

By the way, I've since purchased a diesel E70 and love it! If the F15 drives anything like the F10, I'll avoid.



What really worries me is that I've potentially purchased my last BMW.

The F15 drives a lot like the F10. I am now planning to buy the extended warranty for my E70. After that expires, I will take another look at the Toureg.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
PAX5 PAX5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 460
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie View Post
I have owned almost every model of BMW since 1990. AND EVERY MODEL CHANGE elicits the same response from the outgoing model owners - "OMG what a horrible new design", "OMG it's so bloated". "OMG it's lost its magic", blah blah blah blah.
Fortunately BMW forges ahead and we get the benefit of more modern, better handling, safer vehicles every time they change the model year.

After the CPO warranty on my E70 expires we will DEFINITELY get a F15. It's more modern, looks better, and overall, a superlative SAV to the outgoing model. To say otherwise is to just dwell in the past.

Agree!

... what is there not to like when you see THIS in your rear view mirror ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-X5-M-Performance-1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	422962  
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-15-2014, 03:32 PM
CAX5 CAX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I special ordered a new F15 X5 50i back in September. My 2011 X5 50i M Sport lease was up and I was driving a rental Waiting for Glacier Silver to start production in December, The Car arrived in Mid December. I had heard about all the production issues and weather stripping falling off etc.. After driving it and and taking a good look at it, told the dealer to keep it and I took home a new M5. I think the interior was a big improvement over the E70, while the outside is just ok, the front was just... Overall it did not feel right with a $88,900 msrp. I think the design is more contemporary than the E70 which is starting to look old as more new F15's show up on the streets.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 PM
iconoclast iconoclast is offline
Automotive Addict
Location: In, Out & Around...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 256
Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Agree!

... what is there not to like when you see THIS in your rear view mirror ...
doubt i will see a rendering in my rear view mirror unless you're out there holding up a photo.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 AM
TinyRK's Avatar
TinyRK TinyRK is offline
Ja mei!
Location: Aurora mit dem Sonnenstern
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 199
Mein Auto: X5
^ha!


Sent from BMW Assist in the ditch
__________________
BMWCCA Member# 481324
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM
KnudsonsM3 KnudsonsM3 is offline
Registered User
Location: US of A
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: BMW: 525it, M3, 323i
Not really a fan of the f15. I saw it in person yesterday and didn't like the front end close up. I also noticed the back end looks more like a Tahoe. The e70 is much more attractive.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Pat_X5's Avatar
Pat_X5 Pat_X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Gabriel Valley - So Cal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,274
Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
Not really a fan of the f15. I saw it in person yesterday and didn't like the front end close up. I also noticed the back end looks more like a Tahoe. The e70 is much more attractive.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
+1
Maybe over time, the F15 may turn me, but I will wait for the LCI updated look in 3 years...

In the meantime, my E70 from behind:
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
mitch66 mitch66 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: BMW
My friend picked up his new 2014 X5d M Sport and after driving it back to back with my brother's 2012 X5 Diesel, the 2014 is much, much better. I think the Transmission makes a big difference, also the engine is smoother and has less noise. The Seats are also much better, both cars had Multi Contour.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,647
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
As for the last BMW, don't give up hope - BMW usually listens to it's customers and makes changes as needed to satisfy the majority.
The problem with this is that, we the BMW enthusiasts ( well most of us here anyway ) are not the majority customers... the average consumers are and they will just shrug the steering as new, comfortable, and high tech...
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,647
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch66 View Post
My friend picked up his new 2014 X5d M Sport and after driving it back to back with my brother's 2012 X5 Diesel, the 2014 is much, much better. I think the Transmission makes a big difference, also the engine is smoother and has less noise. The Seats are also much better, both cars had Multi Contour.
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the diesels were not available yet?
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
mitch66 mitch66 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: BMW
Diesels are out !!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms