Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
What about the crowd that envies the beautifully detailed interior, the msport steering wheel, the leather dash, the HUGE idrive screen, even the newer idrive (in my case)... but still think the rear half of the exterior is butt ugly? No, I don't hate the F15 because it makes my car look outdated, I hate it because it's actually ugly to me. I'd love to swap interiors in a heartbeat though. Hell, I don't even mind the front.

That would be the same crowd I am in. I love the interior and the nav screen. I especially like the Sport gear shifter even the ceramic trim as well.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
The E39 owners will love the F chassis and the E60 will not..
I agree with Roadie that the E60 while very controversial at the beginning was a great success.. So many car companies copied the design elements of the bangle butt

This is my theory...When a new design change comes the previous model owners are envious and have hatred towards the newer model because it makes their car outdated regardless if they welcome the design change or not.
Not sure that the E39 owners will love the F10. They may like how it looks (I certainly do), but compared to the E39 it's a bit of a barge.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Automotive Addict

Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
What about the crowd that envies the beautifully detailed interior, the msport steering wheel, the leather dash, the HUGE idrive screen, even the newer idrive (in my case)... but still think the rear half of the exterior is butt ugly? No, I don't hate the F15 because it makes my car look outdated, I hate it because it's actually ugly to me. I'd love to swap interiors in a heartbeat though. Hell, I don't even mind the front.
I do not care for the looks of the new X5 and the increase in size would steer me back towards the Q7. Better interior, better tech, more refined however in it's final year of basically being the same damn SUV for seven years despite a face lift in '10 and some minor tech additions over the last two years.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I do not care for the looks of the new X5 and the increase in size would steer me back towards the Q7. Better interior, better tech, more refined however in it's final year of basically being the same damn SUV for seven years despite a face lift in '10 and some minor tech additions over the last two years.
+1 on the Audi Q7!
I found one (2013 diesel Q7) in Riverside that was almost perfect and it was so plush inside that if it weren't for the lack of the sunroof, I might have been in one.
Plus their pricing was awesome as well as the residual.
Audi would have been my choice because they set their residual bit lower than BMW but at the end of the lease, Audi will end up paying you money for the turn in because they set the value lower than what it's worth.
That's something BMW never will do - pay you at the end of the lease.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Automotive Addict

i owned three different Q7 over the years most recently a '12 Q7 S-Line Prestige+ w/ B&O & air suspension etc etc etc. and it was a great car but unfortunately there isn't anything new available and to do a fourth one when the only change from the '12 is 360 camera isn't exactly a huge selling point to me however if i was shopping a new X5 vs. the current Q7 my money would be on the Q7. better all around package and looks (however the last part is relative and subjective to shopper.)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I was one of those E39 owners (who hated the E60 design). In fact, I kept it for 12 years and when I finally pulled the trigger on the new F10, I hated the way it drove. THe steering was horrible, etc...
This isn't a discussion on the E39 vs. E60, but to each his own.
By the way, I've since purchased a diesel E70 and love it! If the F15 drives anything like the F10, I'll avoid.

What really worries me is that I've potentially purchased my last BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
Well obviously it's my opinion though I know plenty of people who had E39s who would not buy an E60 because they were too ugly for their taste. I am not sure the BMW management think the Bangle designs were so wonderful, they got rid of him. This whole thread is about the design of the F15 which some find ugly. I disagree, compared to an E60 the F15 is beautiful and elegant. As for what the masses think, I don't particularly care. The F10 is selling well and that thing drives like a boat compared to the E60 or E39. After driving one, I bought an E70 instead. Drove better and had more room.

So to reiterate my opinion, I have always hated most of the Bangle era cars designs, they were mostly awful. I was surprised the E70 actually looked better than it's predecessor. I loved the fact that they got rid of the double hump in favor of the teardrop dash. Shame they dropped that for the F15.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeferman View Post
By the way, I've since purchased a diesel E70 and love it! If the F15 drives anything like the F10, I'll avoid.

I know what you mean - I thought the E53 (2001 X5) was the best of the best road magnet SAV, as I have seen many changes over the years.

The electric steering in the new F series is improving and hoping for a more realistic feel by the LCI cycle but I too agree, I love the traditional steering (HPS) in my E70.

As for the last BMW, don't give up hope - BMW usually listens to it's customers and makes changes as needed to satisfy the majority.

The first generation F30 were a disaster making me almost give up on BMW. I figured it's a software change and some force feedback to restore the steering. The suspension, well at least the optional dynamic handling package DHP (ZDH) is a a requirement if you want the stiffer more feeling ride.

Hang in there - we should hopefully see a better generation of F10 and F30 in the future...

Last edited by Pat_X5; 02-14-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeferman View Post
I was one of those E39 owners (who hated the E60 design). In fact, I kept it for 12 years and when I finally pulled the trigger on the new F10, I hated the way it drove. THe steering was horrible, etc...

This isn't a discussion on the E39 vs. E60, but to each his own.

The F15 drives a lot like the F10. I am now planning to buy the extended warranty for my E70. After that expires, I will take another look at the Toureg.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie View Post
I have owned almost every model of BMW since 1990. AND EVERY MODEL CHANGE elicits the same response from the outgoing model owners - "OMG what a horrible new design", "OMG it's so bloated". "OMG it's lost its magic", blah blah blah blah.
Fortunately BMW forges ahead and we get the benefit of more modern, better handling, safer vehicles every time they change the model year.

After the CPO warranty on my E70 expires we will DEFINITELY get a F15. It's more modern, looks better, and overall, a superlative SAV to the outgoing model. To say otherwise is to just dwell in the past.

Agree!

... what is there not to like when you see THIS in your rear view mirror ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-X5-M-Performance-1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	422962  
BMWCCA #20645
Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I special ordered a new F15 X5 50i back in September. My 2011 X5 50i M Sport lease was up and I was driving a rental Waiting for Glacier Silver to start production in December, The Car arrived in Mid December. I had heard about all the production issues and weather stripping falling off etc.. After driving it and and taking a good look at it, told the dealer to keep it and I took home a new M5. I think the interior was a big improvement over the E70, while the outside is just ok, the front was just... Overall it did not feel right with a $88,900 msrp. I think the design is more contemporary than the E70 which is starting to look old as more new F15's show up on the streets.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Automotive Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Agree!

... what is there not to like when you see THIS in your rear view mirror ...
doubt i will see a rendering in my rear view mirror unless you're out there holding up a photo.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:16 AM
Ja mei!

Mein Auto: X5
^ha!

Sent from BMW Assist in the ditch
Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW: 525it, M3, 323i
Not really a fan of the f15. I saw it in person yesterday and didn't like the front end close up. I also noticed the back end looks more like a Tahoe. The e70 is much more attractive.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
Not really a fan of the f15. I saw it in person yesterday and didn't like the front end close up. I also noticed the back end looks more like a Tahoe. The e70 is much more attractive.

+1
Maybe over time, the F15 may turn me, but I will wait for the LCI updated look in 3 years...

In the meantime, my E70 from behind:
Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
My friend picked up his new 2014 X5d M Sport and after driving it back to back with my brother's 2012 X5 Diesel, the 2014 is much, much better. I think the Transmission makes a big difference, also the engine is smoother and has less noise. The Seats are also much better, both cars had Multi Contour.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
As for the last BMW, don't give up hope - BMW usually listens to it's customers and makes changes as needed to satisfy the majority.
The problem with this is that, we the BMW enthusiasts ( well most of us here anyway ) are not the majority customers... the average consumers are and they will just shrug the steering as new, comfortable, and high tech...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch66 View Post
My friend picked up his new 2014 X5d M Sport and after driving it back to back with my brother's 2012 X5 Diesel, the 2014 is much, much better. I think the Transmission makes a big difference, also the engine is smoother and has less noise. The Seats are also much better, both cars had Multi Contour.
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the diesels were not available yet?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Diesels are out !!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Automotive Addict

alright so they've grown on me... i am changing my mind and saying that the new styling and body and features are pretty attractive in m-sport mode w/ 21" wheels:

Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: X6
I don't mind the F15, but I don't like that one in the picture. That "snout" just looks wrong. Right now I am really loving the looks of my E71 X6 in white with its full MSport kit (wheels, steering wheel, nappa leather and alcantara seats)
Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhk View Post
I don't mind the F15, but I don't like that one in the picture. That "snout" just looks wrong. Right now I am really loving the looks of my E71 X6 in white with its full MSport kit (wheels, steering wheel, nappa leather and alcantara seats)
+1 on the photo of the M Sport optioned F15 - don't care for the hanging front face and side profile looks like it was lowered ???

I am hoping by the time the face lifted LCI model arrives, I may look at it again.

As for the X6, yes, the current model year is quite attractive with the M Sport package....

If nothing appeals to me in a few years, I am looking at the new X4.....
Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto:
I'm a BMW fanatic if I may say so.I have always admired their model changes/facelifts since the 80's and nothing else on the road ever appealed to me.I love my 2008 e70 4.8i sport black/black but for the first time in 30 years I'm not liking the looks of the F15.it's getting to look a bit like the new MDX. Only have 41000 on the odometer. Maybe when I decide to change I may take a look @ the f31.BMW have done a great job with the wagon.I would not be surprised to see a lot of these on our roads the next few years.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
My wife and I both love the looks of our E70, and neither of us can stand the new F15. Yeah yeah, everybody always says that about new models, but no. I still don't like the looks of the new 3-series vs the older E90, and that's been out for how many years? It's going into it's fourth model year and the LCI update is a year away! I also have never cared for the looks of the F10 5er and greatly prefer how the older E60 looks. My biggest beef is that the cars just don't look right unless you opt for a pricey "Line" package, and even then a lot of them still don't look particularly good to me. I do like the looks of the F15 from the front, but from the side and back, eeew. Don't like the profile at all, looks a lot less muscular than the E70, so many of the wheels look absolutely terrible. Our E70 has the base 18" Style 209 wheels. I saw an F15 yesterday with the base 18's and they were cringe inducing. The only F15 I've seen on the road was a fully pimped out M-Sport with 20 or 21" wheels, and likely a pricetag well into the $70K range.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I'll be keeping my '11 E70 diesel for a good long while. The idea of electric steering turns me off as I love the feel of my E70's hydraulic steering and all the feel it imparts. Our '12 MINI Countryman S All4 has the newfangled BMW electric steering and the steering always feels too light and darty for my taste. My wife loves it though and that's fine since it's her car.

I love me my E70 to hell and back even with its occasional mechanical niggles.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM

I have to admit that I am also starting to warm up to the F15. I see them a lot more now and I don't like the front of the regular X5 but the MSport looks pretty hot. I just wish the lower air intake grill were real. My lease is up next July. I'm thinking about either extending my lease for another year or two to line it up with LCI release.