Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 PM
403cruz 403cruz is offline
Registered User
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750I
2009 bmw 750i Connection Rod Broken!!!!

By Far the most catastrophic issue anyone could have , had my bmw towed to the shop after really bad misfiring and black smoke and having shut down on me in my garage. When my mechanic looked into it he said the engine wont crank after taking the engine apart we found broken connection rods and bent piston through also the engine block is cracked ! i have no idea what to do my vehicle is out of warranty .... AND its only a 09 all regular oil changes were done on time ! never low on oil this issue has really caught me of guard!!
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Popoemt's Avatar
Popoemt Popoemt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,573
Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Someone else had this (I think they were in Switzerland, maybe Germany?), they had the pics that actually showed the damage from the pistons blowing through the engine... Crazy...
__________________

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 PM
dbs600 dbs600 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,354
Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Our engines can't last past 5 years!?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM
403cruz 403cruz is offline
Registered User
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750I
thats right its ridiculous , cant believe this out of a vehicle that only had 112000 kms !!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM
J750 J750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 249
Mein Auto: 750Li
You don't own this car without a warranty.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Leslierc's Avatar
Leslierc Leslierc is offline
Sejanus
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland - USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,156
Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by 403cruz View Post
By Far the most catastrophic issue anyone could have , had my bmw towed to the shop after really bad misfiring and black smoke and having shut down on me in my garage. When my mechanic looked into it he said the engine wont crank after taking the engine apart we found broken connection rods and bent piston through also the engine block is cracked ! i have no idea what to do my vehicle is out of warranty .... AND its only a 09 all regular oil changes were done on time ! never low on oil this issue has really caught me of guard!!
What kind of mileage do you have on your car? If it's reasonable enough, you might be able to negotiate with BMW for some of the cost of replacing the engine. Otherwise, you're facing around $25K just for the engine. It may also help if you can document that your car was maintained per the service recommendations in the manual and that these were performed by a certified BMW facility. My condolences!
__________________
2013 Porsche Carrera 4
2011 Panamera 4S; 2012 Mini CooperS convertible;
Prior BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM
403cruz 403cruz is offline
Registered User
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750I
i only have a 112000 kms on my engine, i reside in calgary alberta the BMW dealerships here never work along side with you. Im pretty sure i will have to pay everything out of my pocket !
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
IEbimmerguy's Avatar
IEbimmerguy IEbimmerguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cali
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 127
Mein Auto: E38, e23, e3
Sorry this happened. Get your mechanic to install a good used engine, cheapest road to travel.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
dbs600 dbs600 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,354
Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
This should not happen to a properly maintained and unmodified car at 70k miles.

Are these engines prone to failure, is there some type tolerance they cannot withstand?

Last edited by dbs600; 02-10-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM
kpumroy kpumroy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 112
Mein Auto: 2014 Audi A6
This is most likely from hydrolock. The failure mode of the fuel injectors is apparently full on. In a direct injected engine the cylinder is filled with gasoline and liquid is non compressible. This results in catastrophic engine failure. BMW has had lots of trouble with the fuel injectors especially 2009-2011. They should offer you some consideration in this regard.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 AM
DMAX745i's Avatar
DMAX745i DMAX745i is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Mississauga Ontario Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 252
Mein Auto: 2013 750xi & 2002 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpumroy View Post
This is most likely from hydrolock. The failure mode of the fuel injectors is apparently full on. In a direct injected engine the cylinder is filled with gasoline and liquid is non compressible. This results in catastrophic engine failure. BMW has had lots of trouble with the fuel injectors especially 2009-2011. They should offer you some consideration in this regard.
Seems like it's programmed to self destruct

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
DMAX745i
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Popoemt's Avatar
Popoemt Popoemt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,573
Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Found the engine post I was looking for before... Sounds like your exact problem...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=new+engine
__________________

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)

Last edited by Popoemt; 02-10-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 PM
403cruz 403cruz is offline
Registered User
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750I
WOW this happening with the newly designed F01 with barely any kms is completely beyond me BMW needs to create a recall for these issues !!! IM WAITING FOR BMW NA TO CONTACT ME REGARDING THIS ISSUE. I called bmw yesterday and talked to them regarding my car and the SA doesn't seem to be working with me , i had my vehicle in there more than once for misfiring and they suggested me to program it the first time , second time i was told to change all my sparks and coil which was done then i was told to change my pcv hoses which i already had changed but the SA said it was missing a O ring so they had to redo it none of these fixed my issues and now im stuck with a dead engine!!!!!! I EVEN HAD A MECHANIC LEAVE FEED BACK SAYING " I STILL THINK THERE MAY BE DISGUISED FAULTS". The only reason i brought we bring our vehicles to bmw is to get fixed the first time, but if they cant do it right and we have to resort to other german specialist that are more confident... rather than a BMW mechanic that is not competent in his own work stating " DISGUISED FAULTS" i never as understood to why he had me program the vehicle .... i don't get why suggest somebody to do anything when your not sure what the issue is first. I REALLY believe bmw needs to help me out with this situation !! all of this could have been prevented if a proper diagnosis of the engine was done!!! i'm slumped about this am very disappointed with the way the bmw has handled this. SO VERY ANGRY 2009 f01 only 112000kms really a disappointment that bmw doesn't stand by its product!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM
sir.chris sir.chris is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 09' 750Li
I had/have a similar issue. I was barely out of warranty and had talked to my service manager about purchasing an extended warranty before mine was to expire. He told me that they would get ahold of me before my warranty expired so I could go over the options. I never received a letter or call. My F02 had been serviced by the dealership the entire duration of its life. BMW NA declined to help with the repairs to my 7 even though they were partially responsible. I was having idle and start issues. They chalked it up to a bad sensor. I had it replaced and the next day my engine hydrolocked due to a failed injector being stuck open. My cylinder 4 rod was bent and twisted and the piston was hanging on to the rod by a "hair". A few more rotations and I would have had a rod through the crank case and piston parts everywhere. I have a few recommendations for you and will post them soon.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM
sir.chris sir.chris is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 09' 750Li
Also, very sorry this has happened to you.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
bimmertech113 bimmertech113 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 99
Mein Auto: a car
If you were closer I'd buy it from you


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 AM
Leslierc's Avatar
Leslierc Leslierc is offline
Sejanus
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland - USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,156
Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
If all else fails, consider litigation based on a "known problem" by BMW regarding this particular engine. In this connection, you would need statistical data regarding these occurrences and it would be extremely beneficial to you if you could show related trends, such as occurrences at certain mileage, with certain model years, certain manufacture dates, etc. Before going this route, though, I would highly recommend that you reach out to BMW and it might be helpful in this regard if you could get your dealer to back you up.
__________________
2013 Porsche Carrera 4
2011 Panamera 4S; 2012 Mini CooperS convertible;
Prior BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 AM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,430
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
That just blows. My only dealings with BMW, NA was when I had my car in the shop for a total of around 45 days for a navigation problem on my older 5 series. BMW actually sent me a check for $1900. Sold the car the next day. I believe this is the number to the guy that helped me out: 1 (541) 617-9074 His name might be Bill Stewart, not sure.
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 AM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,430
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
googled bill stewart BMW, NA and his name and number came up at this: Bill Stewart at 201-573-2186.
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 AM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,430
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
Sorry for all the posts but when I googled that guy, there are A LOT of posts about him and how helpful he is with BMW, NA. Hope some of this helps.
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 AM
jgriffith007's Avatar
jgriffith007 jgriffith007 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,517
Mein Auto: 2009 750 Li
I have had my car in now 3 times for rough idle and twice for it dying when I start it up. All injectors have been replaced though I am not sure which series. I let them keep my car an extra day so they could feel the bobble in the idle and they stated it was my exhaust that is on the car. I have had the exhaust since I bought the car from the dealer and never had an issue until the last 10 months. They mechanic kept it overnight and said they did not notice any issues. Not sure what else I can do but I definitely feel it as I drive alot in my car. Praying this does not happen to me or anyone else, however, I have a warranty until 10/15.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 AM
sir.chris sir.chris is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 09' 750Li
I hope the best for you and look forward to what BMW NA says. Keep us posted.

Since BMW declined to help I had to take care of the issue myself. I elected not to allow my dealer to touch the car because they were heading in the wrong direction to repair the vehicle and the vehicle was in the state it was due to poor diagnosing by my dealer. Also, I had to work with BMW NA directly and the dealer never put up a fight for me despite me being with them with my e65, e66, and f02.

I rebuilt my entire N63. New piston, rod, rings, bathed and honed the block, replaced those index 5 injectors with index 11s, all new gaskets throughout. I learned a lot about these motors in the process. Many people complain of their oil "burning up". I can confirm from direct experience that it leaks out of turbos and nearly ever gasket on the bottom end then burns up. The was around 10 oz of oil sitting on top of my block under the turbos.

Nonetheless, BMW is 100% aware of injector issues. They pulled certain injectors from the shelves and would not allow their parts department to sell them.

LKQ had a 1000mile N63 with all of its components listed for 8k a few months ago. They did this in mistake though. Typically they will sell complete N63s for 14k.

If BMW NA does not help you with the repairs and you are considering some form of litigation let me know. I have documented my repairs and everything leading up to the issue. I would be willing to offer it all to you as support. There are others just like us as well.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM
sir.chris sir.chris is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 09' 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffith007 View Post
I have had my car in now 3 times for rough idle and twice for it dying when I start it up. All injectors have been replaced though I am not sure which series. I let them keep my car an extra day so they could feel the bobble in the idle and they stated it was my exhaust that is on the car. I have had the exhaust since I bought the car from the dealer and never had an issue until the last 10 months. They mechanic kept it overnight and said they did not notice any issues. Not sure what else I can do but I definitely feel it as I drive alot in my car. Praying this does not happen to me or anyone else, however, I have a warranty until 10/15.
They should replace low pressure fuel sensor, plugs, and coils too. Then consider evaluating the chains.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM
canuckdon canuckdon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 173
Mein Auto: 2008 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 403cruz View Post
WOW this happening with the newly designed F01 with barely any kms is completely beyond me BMW needs to create a recall for these issues !!! IM WAITING FOR BMW NA TO CONTACT ME REGARDING THIS ISSUE. I called bmw yesterday and talked to them regarding my car and the SA doesn't seem to be working with me , i had my vehicle in there more than once for misfiring and they suggested me to program it the first time , second time i was told to change all my sparks and coil which was done then i was told to change my pcv hoses which i already had changed but the SA said it was missing a O ring so they had to redo it none of these fixed my issues and now im stuck with a dead engine!!!!!! I EVEN HAD A MECHANIC LEAVE FEED BACK SAYING " I STILL THINK THERE MAY BE DISGUISED FAULTS". The only reason i brought we bring our vehicles to bmw is to get fixed the first time, but if they cant do it right and we have to resort to other german specialist that are more confident... rather than a BMW mechanic that is not competent in his own work stating " DISGUISED FAULTS" i never as understood to why he had me program the vehicle .... i don't get why suggest somebody to do anything when your not sure what the issue is first. I REALLY believe bmw needs to help me out with this situation !! all of this could have been prevented if a proper diagnosis of the engine was done!!! i'm slumped about this am very disappointed with the way the bmw has handled this. SO VERY ANGRY 2009 f01 only 112000kms really a disappointment that bmw doesn't stand by its product!!
Are you going to BMW Gallery or Calgary BMW? I know Elise at Calgary BMW is an excellent SA, but overall there service manager likes to deflect and pretend he doesn't know about
common problems. They still won't admit there is a design flaw with the tranny (prob software). Stay calm and be reasonable and BMW will eventually help you out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:53 PM
sir.chris sir.chris is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 09' 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckdon View Post
Are you going to BMW Gallery or Calgary BMW? I know Elise at Calgary BMW is an excellent SA, but overall there service manager likes to deflect and pretend he doesn't know about
common problems. They still won't admit there is a design flaw with the tranny (prob software). Stay calm and be reasonable and BMW will eventually help you out.
I stayed calm and was very reasonable and BMW never helped me out. I was even patient. My BMW sat at the dealer for 3 weeks while I waited for BMW to come to a final decision that they were turning their backs to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms