Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Interior Water Leak and Missfire

Hello all,

I have a 1984 318i that ive had a couple of months now. Awesome car. After a hard storm up here in western Washington, I noticed my carpet was wet drivers side front and rear. It got worse, as all floors passenger and driver front and rear were drenched. After soaking up water, it was time to pull the carpet. I pulled the carpet and it was absolutely water logged. Thank god, I still have floors. Lol. Anyways, I noticed a couple leaks, the trunk, and windshield, those are now fixed. When I pulled the carpet the padding next to the clutch and area around the pedals was most soaked out of all of the rest. Lately Ive been driving a car with a driver and passenger seat in it, and that's it so I can source this leak. Ive seen it is coming from above the clutch and even dripping in the area of my left front speaker. I pull up the padding from under the dash, and the foam on that is also drenched. Any ideas? Im sick of having a ridiculously loud cabin in the car, also from a magnaflow exhaust.... As im not gonna put the carpet back in if its still leaking.
ALSO, a misfire. The misfire seems to be worse when its warm. Its at idle, I know this because I can hear it, feel it, and my tachometer jumps 100 rpms in split seconds. Idk, hard to explain. It seems only under cruising and staying at the same RPM and some acceleration, it probably does it all times, but I don't really notice other than the car having no balls, other than the fact that car in general isn't supposed to have any. But I have noticed that sometimes if the car is just warmed up, it has more power than when it is all warm.
Thanks for any help, it is very much appreciated.
-Zack
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: E30 320i
Next time it rains have a close look around the front windshield seal from the inside, you might be able to see water dripping in.

Check the elephant trunk which sits on the firewall in the engine bay. It drains water from the blower motor area and often gets clogged due to the narrow tip.

Another place to check is behind the splash covers in the front wheel arches. The water that enters the blower motor area drains out into this area and runs behind the splash cover then out through drain holes underneath the car just behind the wheel arches. On one of my cars there was about two handfuls of mud clogged up behind the splash cover preventing the water draining out properly. I guess pouring water into the blower motor area and seeing if it seems to run out underneath the car easy enough would be good enough and easier than pulling the splash covers from the wheel arches.

Does it have a sunroof? The front sunroof drain tubes run inside the a pillars at the side of the windscreen and can become disconnected.

Pull up the bonnet seal and look for rust at the corners. On one of my cars water was dripping on the A/C lines due to a small bit of rust and then entering the car.

A heater core leak would also cause wet carpet, but I would assume if it was leaking as bad as you describe it would be pretty obvious.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by actletpone; 02-12-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
I figured out its the windshield. Thank you for the help. Now time to figure out that miss. Thanks again.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
see how much water damage there is behind the dash. remove the glove box and see if theres any water deposits on the ecu. that may eliminate alot of diag time, however if the ecu is not the problem, a whole new problem.