Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
kuchdut kuchdut is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Tires and wheels, oh my

I've found some reading on these topics, but nothing that solidly nailed my questions. So, I figured I'd put them out here...

I have a 2013 335 xdrive coupe with (what I believe are) the stock Contis, 225/45/R17. I have in my garage the Conti DWS that came off my WRX (probably should have done straight snow tires vs all-seasons in the non-summer months, but decided not to)
The DWS are 235/45/ZR17's. I BELIEVE that I should be able to swap them, even tho the tire will be a little larger (since 45% of 225 is going to be smaller than 45% of 235).
But I wanted to ask if anyone has done this in the past with any success? I can't imagine there being any rubbing, my tires are no where near my wheel wells...

My second question is regarding wheels...I was considering getting some new wheels, but if I do, I'd prefer to get 18's, vs the 17's that are on there. Is that a transition (from 17's to 18's) that you can just make? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 169
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
HMM you can always just get bigger rims from 17-18 ive seen people do it from 17-20 lol just make sure you have the same rolling diameter if you go staggered or just get a square set of 18's

i bought 19's no tires yet tho hehe..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Momukhamo Momukhamo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New york, long island
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 169
Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
oh and i think not unless you get something like 18x10 or 18x9.5 especially in the front then u might start rubbing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 PM
kuchdut kuchdut is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post
oh and i think not unless you get something like 18x10 or 18x9.5 especially in the front then u might start rubbing.
Thanks for the info on getting bigger wheels. I have some add'l homework to do, but I think I'll officially start shopping for a summer set.

Those 19's look sharp...Post some pics when you get them loaded up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM
ModBargains IV's Avatar
ModBargains IV ModBargains IV is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: La Habra, Ca
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: e92, e82, e46, e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchdut View Post
I've found some reading on these topics, but nothing that solidly nailed my questions. So, I figured I'd put them out here...

I have a 2013 335 xdrive coupe with (what I believe are) the stock Contis, 225/45/R17. I have in my garage the Conti DWS that came off my WRX (probably should have done straight snow tires vs all-seasons in the non-summer months, but decided not to)
The DWS are 235/45/ZR17's. I BELIEVE that I should be able to swap them, even tho the tire will be a little larger (since 45% of 225 is going to be smaller than 45% of 235).
But I wanted to ask if anyone has done this in the past with any success? I can't imagine there being any rubbing, my tires are no where near my wheel wells...

My second question is regarding wheels...I was considering getting some new wheels, but if I do, I'd prefer to get 18's, vs the 17's that are on there. Is that a transition (from 17's to 18's) that you can just make? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for any help
Going up to a 235/45/17 means you are only adding 5mm per side, so I think you'll be fine.

As far as 17'' vs 18'' wheel setups, you'll find that there are a lot more options 18'' available for a BMW 335i because of the brake clearance. Even some 18'', because of the barrel design, won't fit over the factory 335i brakes.

If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or email me at frank@modbargains.com
__________________
Frank Kim | Frank@Modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext 8003
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00AM-6:00PM, Saturday 8:00AM-5:00PM (PST)
| Our Blog
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 AM
kuchdut kuchdut is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains IV View Post
Going up to a 235/45/17 means you are only adding 5mm per side, so I think you'll be fine.

As far as 17'' vs 18'' wheel setups, you'll find that there are a lot more options 18'' available for a BMW 335i because of the brake clearance. Even some 18'', because of the barrel design, won't fit over the factory 335i brakes.

If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or email me at frank@modbargains.com
Thanks Frank...I'll probably hit you up at some point. I'm going to be looking for 18's in gun metal or black. I've been doing a little looking and it seems the ones I find don't fit the 335 xdrive coupe...

I dig these (I believe that's a 6-series)

Last edited by kuchdut; 02-17-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added pic
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,669
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchdut View Post
The DWS are 235/45/ZR17's. I BELIEVE that I should be able to swap them, even tho the tire will be a little larger (since 45% of 225 is going to be smaller than 45% of 235).
Past the rubbing issue, you'll close down your speedometer error with that set. The new diameter will lower your speedometer reading by about 1.4% at all speeds.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM
wilt wilt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay area
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 617
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Tire Rack doesn't seem to raise any issues of fitment of 235/45R17 Continental DW on 2013 335i coupe. Diameter increase seems to be 0.3"

As for speedometer accuracy, larger tire merely decreases the 4mph optimism found in stock form!

But as you live in snowy Colorado, do you really want to increase to 235/45 rather than 225/45?!

Last edited by wilt; 02-17-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
kuchdut kuchdut is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
the more I've been thinking about it, I think what I may end up doing is buying a set of 18" wheels and putting some proper summer tires on them, and then selling the 2 sets of Continental A/S tires I have an grab some true snow tires and keep those on my stock 17" wheels.

...speaking of which, I was a little surprised to figure out (4 months later) that I have 17's on here (335 xDrive, M-Sport)...I thought for some reason there were 18's on the M-Sport, but it must have been ANOTHER option. My buddy has an 07-08 335i Coupe that came w/ 18's. Never-the-less, I just need to decide which wheels I'm going to get for my Summer kicks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,669
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchdut View Post
the more I've been thinking about it, I think what I may end up doing is buying a set of 18" wheels and putting some proper summer tires on them, and then selling the 2 sets of Continental A/S tires I have an grab some true snow tires and keep those on my stock 17" wheels.
That's a smart move.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchdut View Post
...speaking of which, I was a little surprised to figure out (4 months later) that I have 17's on here (335 xDrive, M-Sport)...I thought for some reason there were 18's on the M-Sport, but it must have been ANOTHER option. My buddy has an 07-08 335i Coupe that came w/ 18's. Never-the-less, I just need to decide which wheels I'm going to get for my Summer kicks.
The xDrive sport options go with 17" unless you upgrade to the optional 18" staggered tires. RWD goes with 18" from the get-go on the sport package. Odds on you don't have the oil cooler, as it sounds like the car was delivered with the base 17" A/S RFT tires, which don't include the "increased speed limiter" package that adds the 18" stagger and the oil cooler.

No problem stepping up to the 18s, it's mount and roll with the right size selection. (225/40-18 front, 255/35-18 rear).
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-17-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM
kuchdut kuchdut is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
That's a smart move.




The xDrive sport options go with 17" unless you upgrade to the optional 18" staggered tires. RWD goes with 18" from the get-go on the sport package. Odds on you don't have the oil cooler, as it sounds like the car was delivered with the base 17" A/S RFT tires, which don't include the "increased speed limiter" package that adds the 18" stagger and the oil cooler.

No problem stepping up to the 18s, it's mount and roll with the right size selection. (225/40-18 front, 255/35-18 rear).
Beautiful...thanks for the info Zooks! I always wonder how folks come up with all this info. It's so helpful...I presume it's a greater capacity for retention that benefits most

One other thing (ok, more like 3 things):
Should I be looking at 8.5 front & 9.5 rear? Is staggering f/r preferred over 4x 8.5?
Off-set always going to be 35mm?

I'm trying to narrow down my selections and want to make sure I don't end up with something I can't use. I've never bought after-market wheels for ANY car I've owned (Surprising, I know) and I've not put that much thought into bolt patterns, off-sets, etc...my head is starting to hurt

Thanks for all the info
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,669
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Well, much of that is info I can't give, as I run 17" tires year round, although I do have a dedicated winter set of Blizzaks.

I do know that you can go square or use the staggered 18" sizes above (which are what come with the stagger package on the xDrive models from BMW). I can say I've never quite seen the point of a staggered set on an AWD past appearance, so IMO stagger vs. square is whatever gives you the look you prefer.


EDIT: Here's a new thread you may want to look at: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=753526
Money quote from post #3 in that thread: "Btw with a stock xi suspension, you increase understeer with a staggered setup. "
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-18-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 PM
kuchdut kuchdut is offline
Registered User
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Thanks again for the info Zooks. I believe I'll be looking at using all the same size wheels...Just be easier for my tiny brain to comprehend...And it seems like it would have some impact on tire longevity as it relates to rotations (?...maybe not)
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms