Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
BMW X5 does not start

Hey all! I am driving a BMW X5 E53 (2002) and it has a 4.4i V8 engine in it. The car was fine until it got an engine light on and on a diagnostics computer it showed that there is a problem with the cat. After that, the car stopped working and when I start it it revs once and then the revs drop back to zero and the engine stops. The mechanic that's dealing with this car said that my cats were getting blocked there for the car is not starting. So I bought 4 brand new OEM lambda sensors from BMW and also got both of my cats taken out and cleaned. They were indeed blocked, but the mechanic cleaned them out and they seemed fine. After that he put them back on and the new lambda sensors as well and the car haven't been able to start ever since. The starter is working and trying to start the engine, but the engine however won't start. So I'm kind of out of any ideas of what might be wrong with the car and hopefully some one in this forum can help me out!

Thank you in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
do you here the fuel pump kicking on?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM

Yeah, I will get it tested tomorrow with a proper voltometer to see if the voltage is fine as well. I was just thinking if by cleaning the cats something else can go wrong? Besides lambda sensors, which obviously I did change with new ones.

Thanks.

P.S. I am in the UK and time zones are completely messed up compared to yours (it's 2:44 AM here atm) so I gotta sleep a bit now. Thanks again for replying and I'm open to any ideas as well!

Last edited by xmikomix; 02-12-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 PM

Well, I did some proper testing of relays,fuses,wires connected to the fuel pump and they were all fine, but the actual pump is gone. If I spray a bit to the air intake the car starts and runs for a few seconds... so there was no fuel flow in the engine. Also since there is an easy access to the fuel pump (under the back seat) it was really easy to check the voltage and notice that it can't keep it constant in order to work and if I bash it with twice it does work enough to start the car and then dies again. (I know it sounds funny but it does that!) So tomorrow I'll be buying a new one and replacing it. Thanks for the help though puddinboo!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikomix View Post
Well, I did some proper testing of relays,fuses,wires connected to the fuel pump and they were all fine, but the actual pump is gone. If I spray a bit to the air intake the car starts and runs for a few seconds... so there was no fuel flow in the engine. Also since there is an easy access to the fuel pump (under the back seat) it was really easy to check the voltage and notice that it can't keep it constant in order to work and if I bash it with twice it does work enough to start the car and then dies again. (I know it sounds funny but it does that!) So tomorrow I'll be buying a new one and replacing it. Thanks for the help though puddinboo!

How did u test the fuel pump to be faulty ?
Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Start with the relay of the pump which is located behind the glove box and it's in the second box (there are two behind the glovebox) and it is the first one on the top left side (green as standard) then the fuse and then the wires connected to the fuel pump. If they are all ok then try the voltage on the actual pump and see if its stable and present. To be honest with you my car managed to start when i bashed the metal cover over the pump with the screwdriver, but it instantly died again. Also the voltage in the pump was unstable.

Hope this helps you!