Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745LI
Life after a e66

I am debating on selling my 7 and getting something else anyone know of any car or truck that will not leave you missing your 7? I was looking at tahoes and other suv's I feel if I get a truck I wont feel so bad haha. Trying to feel the void will be hard I thought it would be easy but I've grown attached to it. All the headaches and time spent repairing it made me grow with it and that feeling driving it is something else. Selling it would feel like I am deserting it but it may be for the best. I'm talking like its my kid or something. Im going to get in it tommorow and Ill have something go wrong with it "bmw chime" because it knows I thinking about moving on
Ads by Google
Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
What year were you looking at for the Tahoe? Try to avoid the early years (07-08). I have 190K on my Escalade, and it's been extremely reliable. No burning oil, no transmission issues (still on the original fluid), etc. You won't be disappointed with a domestic SUV.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 AM

how long have you had that escalade and how many miles did you start with? I like the escalades but the price is up there compared to the tahoes and yukons. What was wrong with the early models Im guess first year model problems
Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750i
I own an Escalade, Great car! Only by a Tahoe or Yukon if you are really worried about the gas mileage. The Escalade has a 6.2 L motor and the Tahoe and Yukon come with a 5.7 L better on gas.
My only complaint with the GM SUVs is that the door handles are pretty cheap and they break, easy to DIY. You can find a lot of useful information at Cadillac owners forum. I personally like the Cadillac better than the other ones because it's a Cadillac it sells itself drive and you'll see

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by mybmw408; 02-13-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 AM

I forgot to mention that I own a 2007 Escalade with 60,000 miles. This car takes regular oil, nonsynthetic I only pay $30 for oil change at the dealer.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 AM

how long do these gm trucks go for? Like J750 said his is at 160k where do the costly repairs and maintence come in. I'm guess it still wont cost as much to fix things like the e66 lol. Does the escalade run off premium gas or regular? Door handle problems oh no im not buying one lol if thats the problems you run into sign me up right now for one
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM

is a warranty a must also? Or are repairs something you can handle on your own?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 AM

My only issue to fix was one door handle due to misuse. If you go to drive inns with family make sure to install second battery. There is a space for it in the engine bay. Battery will run down and you will need a jump. If you get the platinum you get nicer interior, different bumpers/grills and on the newer ones dual exhaust.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI
I salute other fellow 7 series drivers when I see them... Because it doesn't just show they have the same car, but shows there dedication towards there car.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drecoop View Post
how long do these gm trucks go for? Like J750 said his is at 160k where do the costly repairs and maintence come in. I'm guess it still wont cost as much to fix things like the e66 lol. Does the escalade run off premium gas or regular? Door handle problems oh no im not buying one lol if thats the problems you run into sign me up right now for one
190K*

I bought my '07 Escalade in early '09 with 30K on the odometer. The only issue I've had is rough idle which eventually caused the engine to stall. It was fixed with new plugs, wires, and a camshaft sensor. The auto-ride shocks last for 80K~, so those were replaced, too. Other than that and oil changes, nothing has been needed. I'm still on the original transmission and differential fluids! As for the fuel, premium is recommended, but lots of people are running 87 octane, including myself, with no issues whatsoever.

That being said, I would avoid the '07 model years since it seems like owners with early builds are complaining most on the GM forums. If you can swing a low mile (60K-70K~) 08+ SUV, I think you'll be very happy. You can expect 200K with little to no problems if it's been properly maintained. Repairs are relatively cheap, since it shares many parts with trucks and suvs across the GM line-up.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
is a warranty a must also? Or are repairs something you can handle on your own?
Warranty is always a good thing to have, but in my opinion, not necessary for GM trucks if the service is up-to-date, and the vehicle hasn't been trashed.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybmw408 View Post
My only issue to fix was one door handle due to misuse. If you go to drive inns with family make sure to install second battery. There is a space for it in the engine bay. Battery will run down and you will need a jump. If you get the platinum you get nicer interior, different bumpers/grills and on the newer ones dual exhaust.
GM issued a recall for the door handles. I had all 4 of mine replaced out of warranty, free of charge.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 PM

Everyone knows NOT to buy an 08!!!! The door handle replacement has to be a new thing...
Do you have your invoice with the service # so I could do that to mine???
My handles are good just want the updated ones

Last edited by mybmw408; 02-13-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybmw408 View Post
Everyone knows NOT to buy an 08!!!! The door handle replacement has to be a new thing...
Do you have your invoice with the service # so I could do that to mine???
My handles are good just want the updated ones
'07 you mean?

I don't have the invoice, but I did find this:

Quote:
Hello,

This is a special coverage, which is pretty much an extended warranty for this issue. Not to say a dealership might not do this, but they are not authorized to do this. Here is some of the information that I have on this:

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership or mileage. Dealers are to replace the front and/or rear chrome interior door handle levers if signs of peeling are present. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 16, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 16, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Hope this helps and please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service
Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 PM

That is the reason why, I was talking about the exterior door handles not the interior. There is no such recall from GM!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:48 PM

Ah, my bad. I've had no problems with my exterior handles.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 760li
We have an 07 Yukon XL Denali - has the same 6.2l engine as the Escalade, and is pretty much the same SUV in a lot of respects .
Bought it in 09 with 40k on it - now at 130K. As others have said, the exterior door handles are a known problem - easy and cheap to replace.
The one area I would recommend checking on any one you seriously look at is the power tailgate - make sure it operates smoothly - no clunking when it fully opens and make sure the latches do not sound like they are continuing to try to 'latch' for an extended period of time.
Check that the auto ride compressor is nice and quiet - if it is starting to get loud it is getting near the end of it's life.
Maintenance - we do regular full synthetic oil changes, and that has been about it. I will replace the spark plugs this summer - although I am not sure they even need to be replaced.
My wife is the primary driver and just loves the thing !
Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750Li
got to start this by saying that i am not a fan of trucks, i am not even a fan of SUV's/SAV's, have had an '05 X5 4.8is and a '09 Porsche Cayenne, didn't like any of them on long term. I was also looking at the real trucks such as Denali, Tahoe, Escalade, besides lots of space can't thing of anything else that i like about them, they look cheaply made, poor plastics, kind of an old technology but probably this what makes them reliable on long term usage and beyond that i can't understand why would i drag a 6k pounds car to go to work and back. I keep the 7 only for family journeys so that means it only gets used in the weekends, the beating car is a '12 GTi, much more fun than a Tahoe. Replacing the 7 with one truck makes sense only when thinking of reliability and maintenance costs, otherwise there is no comparison to be made, i am sure you'll find it dull and a few classes lower than the BMW. I think the new Nissan Patrol is better than the Tahoe or Denali, have spent some time with all of them and the first one seems to be better made and having a classier and well finished interior.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM

We will still have a bimmer my wife's in the garage even if I sell mine just want more room n I have always wanted a truck

Old 02-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Sleek Sam

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745Li
Quote:
We will still have a bimmer my wife's in the garage even if I sell mine just want more room n I have always wanted a truck

I finally let go of my 7 series last year and needed another vehicle to park in its place. Like some people here, I already have other luxury/european vehicles, and have always been into trucks/suvs. At the time, I didnt want another luxury vehicle because I felt like I needed something bigger and less problematic. In my car replacing rush, I picked up a Silverado Crew Cab just to beat around. What I really should have done was been a little more patient and bought an Escalade like the wife wanted. Regardless, I really dont think any of trucks or suvs on the market can make you not miss your old luxury car. Even with all the bells and whistles, its still a truck on and old school truck frame and suspension.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
I have a 2002 745i with 162K and also a 2003 Tahoe with 250K - love them both but they each offer a totally different driving experience. Really appreciate the 7 for what it is and it is my everyday going to work car, except when the winter roads are really bad. The Tahoe is the family truck and the young kids trash the inside of it. Nevertheless, every time I drive it I love that thing more and more. It just keeps going and runs as good today as when new. Some small repairs like alternator, tensioner, gauge cluster, etc... but overall VERY satisfied with the Tahoe.. Other than keeping up on normal maintenance and been running full synthetic since about 150K but I think the trans is starting to go. It's been such a good vehicle I don't want to get rid of it and it is now a challenge to see how long it will last. Plus, can't beat no payments for at least the past 8 years!! The 7 is a lot of fun but I drive it more for the luxury yet sporty ride. When I really want some weekend fun I take my 1994 Stage 5 modified Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2013 750xi & 2002 745i
I have an 02 745i which I've owned for just about 7 years. Mileage was getting to 180k so I felt it was time to do something. I looked at so many different cars but it seemed nothing came close to giving me the same type of driving experience as my 7. So after going to a few dealerships and spending time on the forums, I just bought a brand new 7 and kept the old one. What a machine. U must check it out.

I cant lie though, I went and looked at the new S550 at benz yesterday, and wss drooling all the way home. What a nice car too. I cant hate on big SUV though. Have an 02 escalade in the Caribbean which runs hard till today.