Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 PM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
DO NOT BUY TIRES FROM tires-easy.com

I just ordered a new set of tires for my wife's car. I usually order from Tire Rack, but the Conti DWS were backordered for the front and tires-easy had them in stock for the same price. After receiving the tires, I checked the date code, since tires are perishable and to my shock the tires were made the 12th week of 2009!! After calling customer service and talking to a guy that sounded like a robot and telling them I want a full refund, no manager was around to take the call nor was anyone available to escalate the call. Check your date codes guys, no point in putting tires that are unsafe and old on your car when you're paying for brand new tires.

2015 X5D M Sport - Delivered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
were you doing it to get away from RFTs or did it come with summers?

BTW, I wish they made that rim style for the X5. Still searching...

-> more pics at Flickr <-
Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 PM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
were you doing it to get away from RFTs or did it come with summers?

BTW, I wish they made that rim style for the X5. Still searching...
No I have the spare tire kit and have had the Toyo proxes STII's on it and they howl like a 4X4 up until about 45mph. It's really annoying. Plus the front right tire is wearing funny even though the alignment is in spec. I like the tires otherwise. I've read a ton of reviews on the conti's and a lot of X5 owners run them, so I figured I'd jump on the band wagon.

Ya I wish they had those wheels for the X5. Mine had the 333's and they're tough to clean.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Automotive Addict

Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
this is how many vendors/retailers are able to sell tires at discount. they buy these leftover or overstock tires that are expired or expiring and then sell them at a steep discount. generally speaking always ask when placing the order even if it's a reputable retailer... if you're not getting any response from the merchant place a freeze on the funds through your CC. you will get a response.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I picked up some overstock ps2s from them for $200 per tire, tirerack was 376.

But I asked about date codes first.....
Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 AM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I picked up some overstock ps2s from them for $200 per tire, tirerack was 376.

They still charged me the same price as all the other online tire dealers. No discount for 4 year old tires.

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 AM
Automotive Addict

Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
Quote:
best way to go about it...
Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
How old before you decline the tires?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:27 AM
It's good to be bad

According to the NTSB a tire is good for around 5 years after it's production date.
But what's more important is how the tire is stored before it's sold. In hotter climates the tire ages faster due to the oils drying up and the rubber drying out. This will also affect the life on the road and the tires performance. In addition to having a shorter life on the road, a tire that's supposedly new but is actually old may be past its warranty period. There's a lot of info on the internet about this

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

I dont like to be on tires more than 5 years old, so I estimate how long they will be on MY car, then buy accordingly. With my DD I run a set a year, so a 4 yr tire would be OK. Especially since 4 years in a warehouse is not the same as 4 years inflated on a rim in the sun.

But surprisingly there is no law nor restriction on tire age at time of sale- AFAIK.

tire-easy is definitely a shady group- really an overstock kind of place. They have what they have, no ability to order in tires (I am currently hunting for a pair of 315/30-18 PS2s, and it seems nobody has them for less than $500 per... ) A few years back michelin made a boatload of them in the N2 spec, and I stocked up... alas, no more.

Last edited by ard; 02-14-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
I dont like to be on tires more than 5 years old, so I estimate how long they will be on MY car, then buy accordingly. With my DD I run a set a year, so a 4 yr tire would be OK. Especially since 4 years in a warehouse is not the same as 4 years inflated on a rim in the sun.

But surprisingly there is no law nor restriction on tire age at time of sale- AFAIK.

tire-easy is definitely a shady group- really an overstock kind of place. They have what they have, no ability to order in tires (I am currently hunting for a pair of 315/30-18 PS2s, and it seems nobody has them for less than $500 per... ) A few years back michelin made a boatload of them in the N2 spec, and I stocked up... alas, no more.
May not be any law or restrictions on tire age, but there are industry standards out there. There is no law that all lug bolts need to be on the wheel, or that an undersize tire cannot be used, but common sense and safety mandates it.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
May not be any law or restrictions on tire age, but there are industry standards out there. There is no law that all lug bolts need to be on the wheel, or that an undersize tire cannot be used, but common sense and safety mandates it.
Totally agree. But every once in a while you read threads like this where people get surprised and have zero recourse....
Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM
It's good to be bad

Well they are returning the tires and giving a refund. My problem is they're selling old tires at new prices. I could understand if they were half the price of tire rack and they were up front about the age of the tire, but if I didn't know what was going on like most of the population. I would've put 4 year old tires on my car that I paid full price for and in a year they would be to unsafe to run. It's the deception that I don't like.

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
meh fuvck it ive driven on tires way older than that. GOt good use out of them too lol as long as they arent dry rotted ill run em
92 E34
89 E30 Cabrio
Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post
meh fuvck it ive driven on tires way older than that. GOt good use out of them too lol as long as they arent dry rotted ill run em
AND
how do you tell if it is dry rotted? Don't tell me if you see cracks on the sidewall---that is not the indication (but perhaps for you it is)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have to say that I have run older tires as well -- with no problems. Back in the day, when service stations sold tires (remember "Atlas" tires at Standard Stations?) those would sit on the rack for years before they were sold. Now those were the old bias belt tires and not radials. Apples and oranges I know, but I think a lot depends on how you are going to drive. Normal driving would put a lot less stress on the tire vice continual "performance" operation and hence having "fresh" tires would not be critical. A car or pick up that mainly runs around town, with few, if any, long high speed runs in a moderate climate, would not be a concern to me with out of date tires. None of that is probably applicable to any X5 owned by a fester of course.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 PM

Some good feedback that makes me think whether what I have heard about aged tires is completely true. Would love to see some good data on driving on the highway at 50 or 80 mph. Are tires 6 years old just as good as tires 2 years old. I thought not.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ Here is the problem:

Tires age, aged tires can be a risk

The AGE of the tires is only ONE measure of the tire aging!

As I commented above, 6 year old tires stored at 60F in the dark is way different than 6 years in a 110F warehouse or on the roof of an RV..

The industry clearly grapples with how to dicuss tire age. You have the "one size fits all" crowd, who seem to paint with a very wide safety brush ("any tire over 6 yearws olrd is a danger") simply becuase they cant rely on people to be smart- same reason BMW doesnt allow patching of their run flats.

Still, OP- Id not pay full retail for 4,5 year old stock...THEY DIDNT, neither should you!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
^^ Here is the problem:

Tires age, aged tires can be a risk

The AGE of the tires is only ONE measure of the tire aging!

As I commented above, 6 year old tires stored at 60F in the dark is way different than 6 years in a 110F warehouse or on the roof of an RV..

The industry clearly grapples with how to dicuss tire age. You have the "one size fits all" crowd, who seem to paint with a very wide safety brush ("any tire over 6 yearws olrd is a danger") simply becuase they cant rely on people to be smart- same reason BMW doesnt allow patching of their run flats.

Still, OP- Id not pay full retail for 4,5 year old stock...THEY DIDNT, neither should you!

I agree. So I ordered two new tires from tire rack since the fronts from Tires-easy were made the 38th week of 2013, where the rears were made the 12th week of 2009. So looking at the date code on the tires from tire rack , they were made the 48th week of 2013. Comparing the new tire with the 4 year old tire here's what I saw. The 2009 tires side walls were hard and stiff, could hardly bend it with my thumb and the whole tire had a brownish tint to it. However, the 2013 tire had a soft pliable sidewall that would dimple when pressed with my thumb and it had a nice deep black color. I sat the old and the new side by side and even my wife could see the difference. Another difference was looking at the tires tread from sidewall to sidewall, the 2009 tire was sunken in the middle where the new tire was perfectly even all the way across.

I talked with a guy at tire rack and explained what had happened. He also brought to my attention something else I didn't think about. When a tire first comes out, there is a about a 20-30% failure rate and that varies between the different size tires. When I say failure rate I mean some have vibrations, some irregular shape, slipped belts and so on. So when those tires are warrantied out due to problems, the manufacturer looks at those flaws and changes the internal design to fix those problems. So lets say a brand new tire is introduced this year. If you waited 2 years and bought that same tire and in the same size, internally it would be a different tire since they have probably changed the internal design of the tire. Take for instance the Conti DWS used to have vibration problems, well Conti has made revisions in the tires design to prevent those vibrations in future tires. So a tire that's 4 years old, is not only older, but it contains the old, not updated design and will probably have vibrations and other problems.

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
I can vouch that four years ago conti DWS were vibrating and hard to balance. In my case it took four tries to balance a bad tire on a good wheel on the 650 and conti did nothing. 90 plus % of vibration is gone but I can still feel it. On top of that they flat spot after about a week or two wheraes the michelins PS2s on the E46 really don't. Many here like the DWS but I'm not a fan. Unfortunately the stupid tires actually last a long time so they're still on the car.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
I can vouch that four years ago conti DWS were vibrating and hard to balance. In my case it took four tries to balance a bad tire on a good wheel on the 650 and conti did nothing. 90 plus % of vibration is gone but I can still feel it. On top of that they flat spot after about a week or two wheraes the michelins PS2s on the E46 really don't. Many here like the DWS but I'm not a fan. Unfortunately the stupid tires actually last a long time so they're still on the car.

I agree, I'm not a fan of all season tires. This is for my wife's X5 and she wants quiet and good in the rain. Been running Toyo Proxes STII. Talk about a POS tire. They hum like a 4X4 up till about 45mph, decent in the rain, no rim protection and actually pretty dang good in the frozen weather, and the fronts have worn out the edges in 17K miles. What's odd is one front has worn quite a bit more than the other even though the alignment is in spec.

I went with the Conti's cause of all the quiet, smooth, comfy, and good snow reviews. So you still have a little vibration and flat spot after two weeks, anything else you don't like?

I had a new set of Michelin AS3's on my LCI 535 and had nothing but vibration problems, of course its a new tire out. I ended up switching to the PSS and they're smooth as silk.

2012 X5 Msport - Retired

Last edited by skalberti; 02-14-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 5 3.5d
Cool

Discount tire and a few other companies will not work with a tire that is over ten years old. If the tire appears in good shape, performs without any issues, I do not see any real issues with a tire that is only a coupe of years old, especially if you got them at a good price. But if do not plan on replacing them for years I can see your issue!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM

ALL places I have EVERY purchased tires from I always check the M-date. And it has always been within 6 or 8 months of installation. I will not accept a tire that is over a year old. This is not like a bottle of wine, it does not get better with age.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post

+1. Had them balanced at least 8 times including road force balancing on my 335D and there was always a vibration over 70mph. Could not get rid of the DWS fast enough. Put the new Michelin PS3 on and it was perfection. Of course I sold the 335D 4,000 miles after putting the new shoes on after suffering for 20,000 miles on the DWS
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
I'm shocked. I thought I was the only one that had trouble with the conti DWS. I checked the wear bars on a the rears yesterday and we're getting close to replacement time after 25k miles. Woohoo! Fronts still look very meaty but the bad one is in the front. We have DW (no S) on the MINI and those are great. I get a substantial discount on Conti due to affiliation with the company so I may go with DW's on the 650 strictly based on my cost. First choice would be Michelin but those would be more than double what I can get the DW's for. Time to do some tire research.