Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E91 xdrive 6MT
First BMW after 20 years of VAG

Hi everyone. I'm new here and thought I'd say hello. After 20 years of owning VW and Audi cars exclusively, I just purchased my first BMW I've got limited seat time in but so far I have to say this car is fantastic. It's a CPO 2011 E91 xdrive 6-Speed and replaced my 04 S4 Avant 6-Speed. Here are few pics:

My S4 Avant the E91 replaced

I've been searching and reading up on lots of great posts here, with good info. It seems like a great community coming from the vortex. If you have any tips or info to share, I'm happy to hear. Thanks for looking.
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi
Looks awesome. How do you like it compared to the Quattro?

I always though white is the best color for e9x vehicles (said the guy with a black e92). You lucked out as the original owner got the shadowline trim option. Time to black out the kidney grill.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux45 View Post
Looks awesome. How do you like it compared to the Quattro?

I always though white is the best color for e9x vehicles (said the guy with a black e92). You lucked out as the original owner got the shadowline trim option. Time to black out the kidney grill.
Thanks man, appreciate it. I loved the S4, but it was a beast with that big heavy V8 up front. It still handled great and with snows it was amazing in the winter, but it did understeer a bit. Tons of torque though and it never stopped pulling. I won't miss the mpg, however.

The E91 is so much smoother and balanced though, and I can see why everyone raves about the I6. I really wanted a 6 vs. the turbo 4 as I really missed my old VR6 and the sounds it made. Still getting accustomed to the shifter. It's smooth but not as smooth as my MK5 GTI.

The car was owned by a BMW master tech and is in near new condition. He also de-badged it which is pretty cool. I do like the look of the black grill. Do you have a store link of where I could check one out?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i E92
Nice car and very rare, congratulations! But your S4 Avant manual must be even rarer…..please post more of what you find to be the main pros and cons of your new car compared to VAG. Welcome by the way.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Officially Something ...

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Sedan, AT, N51
Nice !

Nice Wagon. For the black kidney grill, "bmw black grill e91" on google scored a lot of hits, although I cannot recommend any since I have not done business with any of the providers.

I love wagons and manual transmissions, but we bought a 2011 E90 CPO w/auto transmission based on the mileage, in service date, price, etc.

What is your mileage and in service date, out of curiosity ?

Nice ride !

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	422548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	422549  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxE92 View Post
Nice car and very rare, congratulations! But your S4 Avant manual must be even rarer…..please post more of what you find to be the main pros and cons of your new car compared to VAG. Welcome by the way.
Thanks, glad to be here! You are absolutely correct. I posted a feeler for a potential sale and the car was sold in less than 24 hours, to a good home. The car had 88K on the clock (I had it since 34K), treated me well, and I was just ready for something newer with a warranty. Here is the thread with some more pics if interested http://http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6908172-Feeler-04-S4-6MT-Silver-Alcantara-88K

I don't have a lot of seat time yet in the bmw but initial impressions are that it feels really refined and tight. It definitely handles more neutral/flat than the S4, and just feels lighter on its feet and more athletic. If I can make an MMA/WWE analogy, The BMW = GSP & the S4 = Brock Lesnar.

With the S4 my wife used to joke that we were driving a tank. I would start up the S4 in my garage and my house would vibrate The V8 is an awesome engine and pulled very smooth, but felt more like a muscle car if that makes any sense. The timing chain design caused a natural engine wine which I never cared for, and I think took away from the sound of the engine. Although I had very few issues and the car was running perfect when I sold it, repairs and continued maintenance on that engine can bankrupt you. I had a great run and decided to quit while I was ahead. Egonomics were fantastic, the BOSE stereo was great, the Recaro's were outstanding with seat heaters that can give you third degree burns, and the quattro stuck to the ground like monster glue. The shifter was real smooth once the transmission fluid warmed up. Any other specific questions, just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdo View Post
Nice Wagon. For the black kidney grill, "bmw black grill e91" on google scored a lot of hits, although I cannot recommend any since I have not done business with any of the providers.

I love wagons and manual transmissions, but we bought a 2011 E90 CPO w/auto transmission based on the mileage, in service date, price, etc.

What is your mileage and in service date, out of curiosity ?

Nice ride !

Don
Thanks Don. Sounds like you have a nice ride as well. Agreed though we're a rare breed and unfortunately I think we're on borrowed time. Disappearing manuals, particularly on practical vehicles such as wagons and SUV's, is a disturbing trend in the industry. Not everyone wants the fastest dual clutch transmission, I prefer to row. The car has 25K. For service date do you mean the build date, or when it was prepped to be CPO? If the latter, a few weeks before I bought it.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Officially Something ...

In Service Date

Hi, and welcome to the fest !

By "in service date," I mean the date that the vehicle was first registered for use, which starts the warranty period (and thereby starts your factory warranty and CPO warranty.)

For instance, our TiAg was built in August, 2011, but the car was not officially "registered" for use in the U.S. until April, 2012. So the factory warranty runs until April of 2016, and the CPO ends in April of 2018, if I am not mistaken.

For your build date, look at http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin

For the "in service date," you have to check your paperwork for your Wagon.

All the best. Cool car ! Enjoy.

Don
Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Since mine is becoming a "keeper" by default because of dwindling manual transmission availability, I'm thinking of some minor cosmetic changes to keep it interesting.

The black grills are a good idea. I'm also thinking Coca Mats and the split armrest.

BTW, Alpine III (white) 328is are the fastest 328is.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Wow, what a fabulous find! The E91 with manual transmission is very rare (in the US), and very desirable. The 328i drivetrain has been among the most reliable for BMW.

In terms of modifications, I have installed the European headlight switch on my 2011 328i, which enables the rear fog lights. I have also installed the European tail lights, which have the amber rear turn signals. Any of these parts are available through ECS Tuning, or other fine merchants.

In terms of VAG products, I also share your enthusiasm; my wife drives an imitation Audi (VW Passat).

Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdo View Post
Hi, and welcome to the fest !

By "in service date," I mean the date that the vehicle was first registered for use, which starts the warranty period (and thereby starts your factory warranty and CPO warranty.)

For instance, our TiAg was built in August, 2011, but the car was not officially "registered" for use in the U.S. until April, 2012. So the factory warranty runs until April of 2016, and the CPO ends in April of 2018, if I am not mistaken.

For your build date, look at http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin

For the "in service date," you have to check your paperwork for your Wagon.

All the best. Cool car ! Enjoy.

Don
Thanks again Don. The car is good through August 2015, at which point the CPO kicks in. I'm told the brake job is around 2K front/rear and the extended maintenance is being offered for 2K, so I'll have to contemplate whether or not to extend the maintenance before the base warranty expires. My thought process is if it's going to cost me 2K for the brakes, I might as well get the 2 years maintenance which would cover it anyway. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Since mine is becoming a "keeper" by default because of dwindling manual transmission availability, I'm thinking of some minor cosmetic changes to keep it interesting.

The black grills are a good idea. I'm also thinking Coca Mats and the split armrest.

BTW, Alpine III (white) 328is are the fastest 328is.
Yep. It's my wife's car primarily so I'll have to start selling her on the black grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
Wow, what a fabulous find! The E91 with manual transmission is very rare (in the US), and very desirable. The 328i drivetrain has been among the most reliable for BMW.

In terms of modifications, I have installed the European headlight switch on my 2011 328i, which enables the rear fog lights. I have also installed the European tail lights, which have the amber rear turn signals. Any of these parts are available through ECS Tuning, or other fine merchants.

In terms of VAG products, I also share your enthusiasm; my wife drives an imitation Audi (VW Passat).

Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Thanks! Crazy thing is it was at a dealer that is less than 2 miles from my house. Talk about fate! I saw it on the lot driving home from the mall and the rest is history. I plan on keeping this car for as long as I had my S4 so reliability was definably a huge part of confirming our decision to go with the 328. I'm familiar with ECS having purchased lots from them before so thanks for the reminder. The Passat is a great car btw
Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by demark View Post
I'm told the brake job is around 2K front/rear
I guess if they use gold-plated brake components.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Officially Something ...

Extended Maintenance

I believe that if you want to extend the BMW Maintenance Plan(s), you can decide what to do on or before the factory warranty runs out -- in your case, August of 2015.

I am just going to wait and see on ours (April 2016.) Why sink more money into it now, if you do not know the future of the vehicle?

This is our first BMW, so other fest members will be more knowledgeable on this topic. Maybe some better answers are forthcoming ...

I will wait and see with you.

Regards.

Don
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
congrats

Looks great
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
I guess if they use gold-plated brake components.
Yes, that estimate seems a bit high to me too.

Last year, I did a complete brake job on my E83 (X3). I replaced all pads, all rotors, and all sensors. I purchased all parts at the BMW dealer, and the total came to about $700, after my BMW Car Club discount. YMMV.

So unless the dealer is charging about 12 hours of labor, I do not see how a brake job would cost $2000.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: E90
Nice car and good luck. Call me crazy, but I like the E91 over the F32.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm new here and thought I'd say hello. After 20 years of owning VW and Audi cars exclusively, I just purchased my first BMW I've got limited seat time in but so far I have to say this car is fantastic. It's a CPO 2011 E91 xdrive 6-Speed and replaced my 04 S4 Avant 6-Speed. Here are few pics:

My S4 Avant the E91 replaced

I've been searching and reading up on lots of great posts here, with good info. It seems like a great community coming from the vortex. If you have any tips or info to share, I'm happy to hear. Thanks for looking.
Quote:
Thanks man, appreciate it. I loved the S4, but it was a beast with that big heavy V8 up front. It still handled great and with snows it was amazing in the winter, but it did understeer a bit. Tons of torque though and it never stopped pulling. I won't miss the mpg, however.

The E91 is so much smoother and balanced though, and I can see why everyone raves about the I6. I really wanted a 6 vs. the turbo 4 as I really missed my old VR6 and the sounds it made. Still getting accustomed to the shifter. It's smooth but not as smooth as my MK5 GTI.

The car was owned by a BMW master tech and is in near new condition. He also de-badged it which is pretty cool. I do like the look of the black grill. Do you have a store link of where I could check one out?
Welcome to the 'fest. You certainly chose a great pick with which to join the Bimmer family. Congrats! There's really no going back now that you've come to the dark side.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-15-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Yes, that estimate seems a bit high to me too.

Last year, I did a complete brake job on my E83 (X3). I replaced all pads, all rotors, and all sensors. I purchased all parts at the BMW dealer, and the total came to about $700, after my BMW Car Club discount. YMMV.

So unless the dealer is charging about 12 hours of labor, I do not see how a brake job would cost $2000.

OP - Welcome and congrats on a fine purchase! Don't let the brake job quotes scare you. If you don't mind working with an independent shop, there are plenty of options in CT. If you haven't already, do become a CCA member and you will be automatically subscribed to the local club's magazine, plenty of vendors and shops run regular ads in there...

alpinweiss - the quote is very close to the $1700 that my local dealer quoted for a brake job. I want to say the labor was 1.5-2hrs per wheel at almost $130/hr. + parts.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone. Happy to be on the "dark side" and I agree on the looks of the E91. Alpine White is a really nice color. The 2K was a rough estimate the finance guy threw out so it might actually be a bit less. I thought it was a little on the the high side as well (My S4 was around 1500 at the dealer). I would call the service dept to confirm before I had anything done. I'm cool with independent shops as long as they use OEM parts. If anyone has recommendations in Fairfield County CT, I'm all ears.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
....the quote is very close to the $1700 that my local dealer quoted for a brake job. I want to say the labor was 1.5-2hrs per wheel at almost $130/hr. + parts.
Wow! I didn't realize it had gotten that expensive.

It sounds like labor is more expensive there than it is here. But, as you stated, a good qualified BMW independent should be able to save some money on this. I did my own brake job, and I think it is a good DIY for a person who is reasonably mechanically-inclined.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Wow! I didn't realize it had gotten that expensive.

It sounds like labor is more expensive there than it is here. But, as you stated, a good qualified BMW independent should be able to save some money on this. I did my own brake job, and I think it is a good DIY for a person who is reasonably mechanically-inclined.

DIY is free, when the time comes I'll do the brakes myself, as well.
Good independent mechanics go for about $70-80/hr, in this area...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-16-2014, 05:51 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Happy to be on the "dark side" and I agree on the looks of the E91. Alpine White is a really nice color. The 2K was a rough estimate the finance guy threw out so it might actually be a bit less. I thought it was a little on the the high side as well (My S4 was around 1500 at the dealer). I would call the service dept to confirm before I had anything done. I'm cool with independent shops as long as they use OEM parts. If anyone has recommendations in Fairfield County CT, I'm all ears.
Check here - www.bimrs.org , www.bimmershops.com

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Demark,

Congrats and Welcome. You really found a gem! First thing I thought when I read your opening post is "wow - there are a lot of people who are turning green with envy at the find."

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 02-16-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Tony Teixeira
Tex Auto Service - BMW
106 Commercial Street
Bridgeport, CT 06604
United States
(203) 335-7992

Master tech with 25+ years at BMW of Bridgeport, still dearly missed. $80/hr and no non-sense.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328ix Wagon 6-spd
demark--Welcome to the club! I got my black/saddle 6-spd wagon a couple months ago and love it! I always lusted after the S4 Avant (hauls groceries and hauls ass! ).

I actually got a friendly wave and nod from another 3-wagon I passed the other day. Sort of unique club we're in--especially with the manual.

Enjoy!

TC