Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Storage compartment under trunk

Hello everyone. Just bought a low miles CPO '11 X3 2.8. I noticed in the trunk area, there is a lid/cover that cover some storage "compartments" underneath with very specific and unique shapes.

Can someone tell me what came in these compartments originally?

Also, have a lighted USB charger and noticed that even after killing the engine, exiting the vehicle, and locking the doors, power is still live in both the cig lighter next to the cup holders as well as inside the console. Is this normal? Will the power get cut after a specific delay? Was too afraid to leave the USB charger plugged in in case it malfunctioned/overheated and started a fire.

And one final question... I don't have the tech package (ie. no nav). Can the USB port inside the console be used to play music off a USB thumb drive? I know they have a Y-cable to hook up certain model IPods. Was hoping I could play stuff off the USB port or use the 3.5mm jack as audio in. Are either possible?
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The storage area in my '11 35i contained a storage net and some tie downs that fit into the floor slots. I don't recall anything else being there.

The power in the lighter socket will turn off after no more than 15 minutes.

I have the Tech package, so don't know the answer to your 3rd question. I would try a standard Apple USB cable, and if that doesn't work then try the Y cable.

Last edited by 02420X3; 02-13-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Oh yeah, underneath the storage area is where you'll find the battery.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the answers. Regarding the cig lighter, never seen a delayed off on any of my previous cars so this is new to me. I'll have to check it out.

I have the Y-cable on order but was hoping someone knew if it could either play stuff off a USB thumb drive or take an audio in from another device via the 3.5mm jack. I've tried the USB thumb drive but couldn't find where to switch to that input. Guessing playing off a USB thumb drive is a no go. Have not tried audio in via the 3.5mm jack although I don't see where to switch to this in idrive either. Anyone know for sure?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:20 PM

We are able to play music off either a IPad or IPhone using the 3.5 mm jack. I do not recall having to switch any thing off or on.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
2006 350Z Roadster - sold
To many others to bother with...
Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM

If you were listening on the radio, don't you have to "switch" to the 3.5mm jack for the speakers to start playing it? Or is the system such that if it detects any audio coming in from this jack, it takes precedence and automatically switches to it? I guess I'll try this out when I get home.

In my other vehicles, I have to switch to the aux input to start listening to stuff ont he 3.5mm jack.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowabunga View Post
If you were listening on the radio, don't you have to "switch" to the 3.5mm jack for the speakers to start playing it? Or is the system such that if it detects any audio coming in from this jack, it takes precedence and automatically switches to it? I guess I'll try this out when I get home.

In my other vehicles, I have to switch to the aux input to start listening to stuff ont he 3.5mm jack.
You need to hit the CD button and there you select External Devices, it should have a check mark beside it when the device is plugged in through a 3.5mm cable.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
For your last question, yes, you should be able to play music directly off a USB drive plugged in the USB port in the center console. I don't have tech/nav package and I was able to do that.