Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Federal guidelines for doorjam tire size placard

Someone recently posted about the federal guidelines stating the the door jam sticker must represent the correct tire size for the car. Does anyone know where I can find this again?
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Someone recently posted about the federal guidelines stating the the door jam sticker must represent the correct tire size for the car. Does anyone know where I can find this again?
That may have been me...what links do you need?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Here is a link to NHTSA's "final rule" regarding door placard content:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...ireSafety.html

VII. Agency Decision regarding Final Rule

A. Summary of Final Rule and Rationale

"Fourth, the agency is replacing the vehicle's recommended tire size designation with the tire size designation for the tire installed as original equipment on the vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer. While in most instances these two numbers would be identical, this minor revision ensures that the consumer is provided with the correct tire inflation pressure information for the tire size actually installed on his vehicle as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer. The original tire size designation and accompanying recommended inflation pressure will be indicated by the headings "original tire size" or "original size" on the placard or label."
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Here is a link to NHTSA's "final rule" regarding door placard content:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...ireSafety.html

VII. Agency Decision regarding Final Rule

A. Summary of Final Rule and Rationale

"Fourth, the agency is replacing the vehicle's recommended tire size designation with the tire size designation for the tire installed as original equipment on the vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer. While in most instances these two numbers would be identical, this minor revision ensures that the consumer is provided with the correct tire inflation pressure information for the tire size actually installed on his vehicle as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer. The original tire size designation and accompanying recommended inflation pressure will be indicated by the headings "original tire size" or "original size" on the placard or label."
That's it! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
That may have been me...what links do you need?
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it looks like the OP got what he was looking for...

I remember someone posting this info on a thread where a dealer installed a square set of tires on a CPO car with staggered wheels. Was that you? If so, do you know what happened to that thread?

Sure I was interested in what happened there, but also, where did the thread go or am I missing something? the title was something like "dealer installed wrong tires". I searched a few times and couldn't find anything.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it looks like the OP got what he was looking for...

I remember someone posting this info on a thread where a dealer installed a square set of tires on a CPO car with staggered wheels. Was that you? If so, do you know what happened to that thread?

Sure I was interested in what happened there, but also, where did the thread go or am I missing something? the title was something like "dealer installed wrong tires". I searched a few times and couldn't find anything.
that was me.

Last edited by Nerdboss; 02-14-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, that was me. I haven't searched for the thread, but the OP was really being given false and misleading information by his dealer. It seems to be "ongoing," based on his most recent post.

A BMW dealer has a particular obligation to install federal "FMVSS approved" automotive equipment on a vehicle that it sells (as do all car dealers). For example, they can't arbitrarily decide to install "non-DOT approved" (US Dept of Transportation - NHTSA is a Div.) lights, windshields, brake components, tires, bumpers, air bags, TPMS, etc., etc..

As I briefly mentioned before, the DOT/NHTSA frown on "making inoperative" any item of automotive equipment (including the OP's situation - installation of incorrect tires). Considerable civil penalties apply.

I still can't understand why the OP doesn't just call BMW NA, but there is a chance that he'll end up talking with an "uninformed clerk" who doesn't have a clue about BMW's federal statutory obligations; he would have to 'bump' his call to someone who DOES.

Although we sometimes complain about government "over regulation," jerks like this OP's dealership seem to make such regs necessary.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)

Last edited by pointandgo; 02-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Yes, that was me. I haven't searched for the thread, but the OP was really being given false and misleading information by his dealer. It seems to be "ongoing," based on his most recent post.

A BMW dealer has a particular obligation to install federal "FMVSS approved" automotive equipment on a vehicle that it sells (as do all car dealers). For example, they can't arbitrarily decide to install "non-DOT approved" (US Dept of Transportation - NHTSA is a Div.) lights, windshields, brake components, tires, bumpers, air bags, TPMS, etc., etc..

As I briefly mentioned before, the DOT/NHTSA frown on "making inoperative" any item of automotive equipment (including the OP's situation - installation of incorrect tires). Considerable civil penalties apply.

I still can't understand why the OP doesn't just call BMW NA, but there is a chance that he'll end up talking with an "uninformed clerk" who doesn't have a clue about BMW's federal statutory obligations; he would have to 'bump' his call to someone who DOES.

Although we sometimes complain about government "over regulation," jerks like this OP's dealership seem to make such regs necessary.
Right. It was probably a simple stonewall tactic by the dealer to avoid paying anything (for an out of state customer that already paid them).

The odd thing was that I saw a somewhat cryptic reply from the OP saying that it was being taken care of without any details, someone asked for details, and then the thread was gone without a trace at least that I could find??

Did the dealer ask him to stop any "bad publicity" in exchange for fixing it or something? Does that sort of thing happen? i've never seen it before but what do I know...

Since you did reply to it, can you look through your replied/subscribed threads to see if it is showing up? No big deal here, I am just curious.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Right. It was probably a simple stonewall tactic by the dealer to avoid paying anything (for an out of state customer that already paid them).

The odd thing was that I saw a somewhat cryptic reply from the OP saying that it was being taken care of without any details, someone asked for details, and then the thread was gone without a trace at least that I could find??

Did the dealer ask him to stop any "bad publicity" in exchange for fixing it or something? Does that sort of thing happen? i've never seen it before but what do I know...

Since you did reply to it, can you look through your replied/subscribed threads to see if it is showing up? No big deal here, I am just curious.
I don't know. The OP has been given adequate advice to address the problem. In his hands now.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 02-15-2014, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i Sedan
I have to say it....I detest all this government meddling in decisions that should be left to the vehicle owner and the dealer or other service provider. If the owner and dealer make a mistake....so be it....it's on them. No, they're not going to kill anyone. The government has its nose into everything.

2011 E90 328i, Nav, Premium, 6 spd Steptronic, Tasman Green, Beige Dakota Leather.
2006 325Ci, Premium, Blue, gray leather, Steptronic.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
I have to say it....I detest all this government meddling in decisions that should be left to the vehicle owner and the dealer or other service provider. If the owner and dealer make a mistake....so be it....it's on them. No, they're not going to kill anyone. The government has its nose into everything.
I'm of a different opinion and generally don't try to out-guess what 80+ BMW engineers have tried to accomplish with the vehicle. The tire size selection and air pressure are critical not only as a matter of adequate load capacity (don't fatigue the tires), but handling and braking as you can well imagine.

In my experience, most 'shops' don't have a clue about the relationship of tire size, air pressure and load capacity. Tire pressures that are too low...causing tire fatigue and failure over time have caused accidents and killed people:

As background, this tire placard issue is a small part of a huge regulatory overhaul that took place in 2000 as the result of the largest tire recall in history (that did kill people)...and involved tires fitted (mostly) to the Ford Explorer.

Congress enacted a blizzard to new regulations mostly aimed at tires and improving the recall procedures. The law was signed by Bill Clinton:

PUBLIC LAW 106 - 414 - TRANSPORTATION RECALL ENHANCEMENT, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND DOCUMENTATION (TREAD) ACT
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...nt-detail.html

Perfect reading if you have insomnia.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Noticing that the BMW CPO "Vehicle Inspection Checklist" calls for the replacement of non-approved components with BMW approved OE parts...including the OE tire sizes!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Pointandgo....let's distinguish between BMW engineers and dealers and BMW owners, and government bureaucrats who know what's best for us. I admire and respect the former. The former don't need the government to tell them how to manage their vehicles.

2011 E90 328i, Nav, Premium, 6 spd Steptronic, Tasman Green, Beige Dakota Leather.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Pointandgo....let's distinguish between BMW engineers and dealers and BMW owners, and government bureaucrats who know what's best for us. I admire and respect the former. The former don't need the government to tell them how to manage their vehicles.
The US Dept. of Transportation (DOT) and its NHTSA Div. aren't in the business of regulating private individuals, and the scope of their authority doesn't extend to private citizens. No black helicopters will fly over your house.

You can do whatever you want to your car without fear of government interference.

Manufacturers, dealers and "installers" do have an obligation to follow federal motor vehicle safety standards (fmvss) and are under the onerous "make inoperative" statute that prevents them from disabling any item of motor vehicle equipment subject to a safety vehicle standard.

You wouldn't want "Bubba" to disable your air bag would you? Put brakes on your car made in Bangladesh?

At least there's some comfort in knowing that there are considerable government civil penalties for anyone (dealer) who might try to "slip" a non-complying brake pad or brake hose on your car. BMW NA knows this...and we can be confident that our dealer parts meet all federal specifications.

Not so on E-bay.

Federal tire safety and endurance testing alone runs into VOLUMES of regs. Few people are aware.

I'm not responsible for all these regs! Congress told NHTSA to make these rules.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
The US Dept. of Transportation (DOT) and its NHTSA Div. aren't in the business of regulating private individuals, and the scope of their authority doesn't extend to private citizens. No black helicopters will fly over your house.
I don't appreciate the insult about black helicopters. Surely you don't think that was on my mind.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I don't appreciate the insult about black helicopters. Surely you don't think that was on my mind.
I apologize for having offended you.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)