Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528ise 2000
Angry Abs/asc Light On - Please Help!!!!!!

Hello guys, I really need help as I am at the end of the rope with my vehicle:

I have a 2000 523ise (525 engine) manual 5 speed.

The car is equipped with ABS and ASC. A few months back the ASC/ABS light went on, and when I put it on the scanner it said Rear Left Speed Sensor.

So naturally I changed the sensor and shortly after the light came back on...

Back on the scanner - Left Rear Speed Sensor Circuit......and the speedo does not work; So:

1. Cleaned the sensor's ring
2. Checked wiring visually
3. Checked that all tires are made by the same manufacturer and have similar thread thickness

So I went into troubleshooting mode....abserving the car carefully and this is what happens:

1. When you start the car in the morning - the light is off - speedo works....upon driving it a little distance (about 15 minutes or so) the light will come on.

2. If you start the car and just leave it running the light will come on without moving the car after a little while 15-30 min or so.

3. If you unplug the wire plug from the ABS pump/modulator - and then put it back on the light will dissapear and the car will run normally for an amount of time (again about 15 min or so) before coming back on.

4. I removed the modulator off the pump (6 screws) and cleaned the inside out with aircraft electronics cleaner(**great stuff) - replaced the modulator on the pump - and the light stayed off for what looked like about 15-30 mins or so.

I dont know what to do much more than that. Can someone PLEASE help me, I need to fix the car ASAP for a driving test - which cant be taken without the speedo working. Any ideeas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 10-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i, 1994 ImpalaSS
I have a similar problem. I have noticed that it tends to happen when it is warm out. The DSC/ABS computer is under the hood with a little heat shield to try and protect it from the engine heat but the thing still gets quite hot. The fault light rarely comes on when it is cold. I have had my car for about 19 months. It is literally a summer only problem. I think that the computer I have is a little marginal and when it gets hot it sometimes goes on the fritz. I have nothing than circumstantial evidence to back this up. My trade is electronics reliablility so I don't know if I know what I am talking about or just overthinking the whole deal. Anyway, it could be your computer. Those things aren't cheap, though.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal 528i
I have a similar problem. I have noticed that it tends to happen when it is warm out. The DSC/ABS computer is under the hood with a little heat shield to try and protect it from the engine heat but the thing still gets quite hot. The fault light rarely comes on when it is cold. I have had my car for about 19 months. It is literally a summer only problem. I think that the computer I have is a little marginal and when it gets hot it sometimes goes on the fritz. I have nothing than circumstantial evidence to back this up. My trade is electronics reliablility so I don't know if I know what I am talking about or just overthinking the whole deal. Anyway, it could be your computer. Those things aren't cheap, though.
So you think it's the ABS computer? I have heard somewhere before that the heat might be causing some crap with the computer......which one is the ABS computer? I know the main ECU is under the air-filter, and I thought the ABS computer might the the white one underneath/behind the glovebox. Or is it the black box on the servo-brake pump?? It has 6 screws holding it in.....which one do you rekon it is?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:51 AM

I have diagnosed the problem.

HERE'S HOW TO SEE IF IT'S THE ABS CONTROLLER UNDER THE HOOD OF THE CAR:

1. GOTO AN OFFICE SUPERSTORE AND BUY A CAN OF COMPRESSED AIR
2. RUN THE CAR UNTIL THE LIGHT COMES ON
3. USE THE SPRAY UPSIDE DOWN AND SPRAY LIQUID OXYGEN ON THE UNIT UNTIL IT IS COLD (COLD COLD NOT EVEN ROOM TEMPERATURE)
4. IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT - ITS THE ABS CONTROLLER

THANKS EVERYONE!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: e30
Our dealership has replaced a lot of the dsc/asc modules for that very complaint.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
ASC/ABS light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar1
Hello guys, I really need help as I am at the end of the rope with my vehicle:

I have a 2000 523ise (525 engine) manual 5 speed.

The car is equipped with ABS and ASC. A few months back the ASC/ABS light went on, and when I put it on the scanner it said Rear Left Speed Sensor.

So naturally I changed the sensor and shortly after the light came back on...

Back on the scanner - Left Rear Speed Sensor Circuit......and the speedo does not work; So:

1. Cleaned the sensor's ring
2. Checked wiring visually
3. Checked that all tires are made by the same manufacturer and have similar thread thickness

So I went into troubleshooting mode....abserving the car carefully and this is what happens:

1. When you start the car in the morning - the light is off - speedo works....upon driving it a little distance (about 15 minutes or so) the light will come on.

2. If you start the car and just leave it running the light will come on without moving the car after a little while 15-30 min or so.

3. If you unplug the wire plug from the ABS pump/modulator - and then put it back on the light will dissapear and the car will run normally for an amount of time (again about 15 min or so) before coming back on.

4. I removed the modulator off the pump (6 screws) and cleaned the inside out with aircraft electronics cleaner(**great stuff) - replaced the modulator on the pump - and the light stayed off for what looked like about 15-30 mins or so.

I dont know what to do much more than that. Can someone PLEASE help me, I need to fix the car ASAP for a driving test - which cant be taken without the speedo working. Any ideeas would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have a 2000 540 with the ACS/ABS lights on and the speedo doesn't work. Can you tell me where on the car I can find the sensor, as I would like to check if there is a wiring problem, or if the sensor went bad. Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 04:04 AM

Mein Auto: 540IT
If your ABS light is on together with a failure of speedometer, check your rear left (driver side) ABS sensor, it's mounted to the inner hub of the wheel.

I've been having problem with my ABS controller also, same symptom as others: ABS failed when the engine compartment gets hot. I've contacted 2 places that rebuilds ABS controllers, both said they can only fix the pre 96 versions.

'99 540IT (for sale)
'99 528IT (Past)
'07 530xiT
Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Plays with a stick

Mein Auto: BMW
I just went through all this. They're popping up all over the place now. I also replaced the same wheel sensor- No success. Dealer ran disgnostics- ASC control unit. Had the ASC control unit replaced this morning at a cost of $1006.37 plus3 hours driving (local dealer wnated $1250.)
All is well now
In my research over this, I sent an email to a current BMW tech and an Ex BMW tech as well as having my independent mechanic call a tech friend of his at a dealer in Dallas. The remove and install is a simple process that any idiot can do but it takes a dealer to code it to match your car. This is only happening on models built 9/98 to 09/2000 (mine is a 10/98 build date)

Last edited by SoonerE39; 01-18-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Plays with a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8168
Our dealership has replaced a lot of the dsc/asc modules for that very complaint.
When my indepenent mechanic called a friend of his at a Dallas dealership, he said they had A LOT of inventory for PN 34-52-6-756-343 (ASC control unit repair kit) indicating they are expecting to sell more of them than usual.

Last edited by SoonerE39; 01-18-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Plays with a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek777
I have a 2000 540 with the ACS/ABS lights on and the speedo doesn't work. Can you tell me where on the car I can find the sensor, as I would like to check if there is a wiring problem, or if the sensor went bad. Thanks
Remove the wheel. The sensor is the black wire with a blue partial casing around it. It comes out of the inner wheel liner, around the inside of the brake line then back toward the outside, then forward over the top of the housing just inside of the rotor, then down and boltinig into that housing. It takes a hex key to remove it. Some have said that they ahve removed the sensor and cleaned it up and it works again. That wasnt the case for me.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528 i, BMW 318i
Unhappy I think i have the same problem, BMW DEALER CHARGES $3000 TO GET IT FIXED !

I think i have the same problem, except both lights come on after the left brakes make a weird "boing" sound, then it automatically comes on. I went to the dealer, seems there is a huge brake problem in the car, and it is going to cost me $3000 (CDN) to get it fixed.
Plus when i am driving the car is running rough, and isn't stable meaning it frequently shakes while driving. I do regular maintance on the car, except i didn't get the last inspection 2.

Last edited by BMW528i_Bilal; 01-20-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
Thank you ! I swapped the right side with the left side sensors and sure enough the speedo is now working but the cruise control isn't. So I ordered a new sensor $85 Cdn.
Thanks for the help, it saved me a couple of hundred I figure just in diagnostics.
Now to fix the next issue, front lower control arms and ball joints, its one piece so of course it expensive. Anyone do this job themselves ? I am thinking of going to a garage to get this done, as it will probably need an alignment.