Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: RAV4
Alternatives to X3?

What would you choose as your SUV if its not the X3?

I am really having a hard time, finding the next car, it looks like if one car has one thing, it won't have something that I like.

I was looking at the X3 and although I like the X3 for its driving and handling, it has some things i don't like, like cargo space and back seat space, the hump in the middle and the fact that it down not feel luxurious compared to competition.

I really like lexus because of cargo space and back seat spaciousness and luxiorious feel inside, however the drive and handling is not good.

The Q5 is small and interior is nice, but I don't care too much about it.

Infiniti - haven't looked at the FX35, but reading about it does not have too much room but is fun to drive apparently.

I had initially did not look at the MDX, but now I am rethinking as it might be a good option.

What did you guys cross shop and which other suv would you choose.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: M3, MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I am really having a hard time, finding the next car, it looks like if one car has one thing, it won't have something that I like.

I was looking at the X3 and although I like the X3 for its driving and handling, it has some things i don't like, like cargo space and back seat space, the hump in the middle and the fact that it down not feel luxurious compared to competition.

I really like lexus because of cargo space and back seat spaciousness and luxiorious feel inside, however the drive and handling is not good.

The Q5 is small and interior is nice, but I don't care too much about it.

Infiniti - haven't looked at the FX35, but reading about it does not have too much room but is fun to drive apparently.

I had initially did not look at the MDX, but now I am rethinking as it might be a good option.

What did you guys cross shop and which other suv would you choose.
My last two crossovers were '08 and '10 MDX. They were troublefree and IMO have best AWD system and ELS sound system equal to anything close to price. Also has best resale. The Toureg and Cayenne are great 2-row options, but significantly more expensive, as was X5. I no longer need 3rd row, so I wanted to return to something more sporting...came down to X3 35i or Macan. Ordered Macan.

Last edited by GTF; 02-16-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: error
Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
My last two crossovers were '08 and '10 MDX. They were troublefree and IMO have best AWD system and ELS sound system equal to anything close to price. Also has best resale. The Toureg and Cayenne are great 2-row options, but significantly more expensive, as was X5. I no longer need 3rd row, so I wanted to return to something more sporting...came down to X3 35i or Macan. Ordered Macan.
Yes the Cayenne is a good alternative but more expensive. I am really now starting to like the MDX, haven't looked at the Toureg.

Lexus is supposed to come up with a new NX this fall, will be looking to see how that turns out to be.

The X3 is great but I feel like for the amount you are spending on the X3 you are not getting luxurious stuff. I think its a good driving car, but does not take luxury into account. The X5 feels more luxurious but is much more expensive.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35I

We also were lost so I narrow down what was important. MPG, Price, re-sale, consumer ratings, size, and horsepower. My wife did not want a large vehicle, I have a King Cab Pick-up she hates to drive. So we looked at BMW, Infinity, Lexus, Landrover, Audi, and Porsche. All were nice but the BMW was close to the top on all above rankings. So we even looked into the X1 but it had hardly any cargo capacity. Chose X3.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Carrera S, 2014 X335
We started off with a list that included:

Porsche Macan S / Turbo
Porsche Cheyenne
Audi SQ5
BMW X5 335 (newest)
BMW X3 335 M Package

The Cheyenne was eliminated first mainly because of price. A nicely optioned S or GTS model runs easily over $80k. So it was out.

The Macans I could only see at the LA Auto Show. And because of a bunch of dicks who were out to vandalize whatever they could get their hands on - the cars were locked so couldn't see inside. I even got a tour of the 918 behind closed doors, but the Macans on the floor were off limits. My wife didn't want to buy sight unseen and our lease was coming to and end before the Macan's release. So it was out too.

We took out the SQ5 for a spin at a local dealer. It was a compelling car, to say the least, but in the end it wasn't really rocking our world the way an "S" model should. To be honest, after driving it, I feel like it's not really an S, but more like an S Package (I know it has a much better engine than stock, btw). Plus we didn't like it better than the X3 we had, which wasn't a good sign. The tiny LCD and outdated decor didn't help either. The SQ5 was out.

Besides sitting in one at the auto show, I never did actually see a new X5. The dealers didn't have any, and I didn't want to custom order sight unseen. Plus, like the Cheyenne, once you added all the packages and options you were looking at the high 70s. The X5 was out.

We currently have a non-M package X3 335. My wife loves it. It was a pretty easy choice. I added some options I wish we had like DHP and M-Sport and custom ordered another. I'd driven the M-Sport minus the DHP before, so I can only imagine it's kind of like the little bear's bed. Just right.

We didn't talk about anything else really except a Rover Sport. But that was too much $ to be actually considered.

Anyway, we'll see. It should be here within a few weeks.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Going from an X3 to the MDX is like going to an X5.

X5 would be my choice with 3 row seating, 21" M Sport wheels, & active suspension + steering.

Then the Audi Q7 with 3 rows, MMI, 21" wheels.

Sounds like money is not a factor because the Acura MDX is ridiculous in pricing when you add in the technology, safety and entertainment packages
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM

I have a RAV4 and this will be an upgrade, but if I go with the X3, the space becomes an issue as my rav4 has more cargo room and backset room than the X3. The X5 is much more expensive and I am not considering it.

The MDX, as you mentioned becomes expensive if you add the technology and the advance package. However, you get good amount of space.

I haven't test driven the MDX so would like to see how it drives. I am sure it wont be comparable to the X3, but I am hoping it would be better than the Lexus RX350.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I have a RAV4 and this will be an upgrade, but if I go with the X3, the space becomes an issue as my rav4 has more cargo room and backset room than the X3. The X5 is much more expensive and I am not considering it.

The MDX, as you mentioned becomes expensive if you add the technology and the advance package. However, you get good amount of space.

I haven't test driven the MDX so would like to see how it drives. I am sure it wont be comparable to the X3, but I am hoping it would be better than the Lexus RX350.
Drive the MDX awd tech (under $49 msrp)...I would say the drive is mix between RX & X3. Comp. equipped MDX better value IMO & better drive than RX. Drive & decide.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
MDX SHAWD with Tech can be had for about 47k - as learnt from one of my friend. I drove MDX 2010 and it felt big. My 2010 X5 felt lighter and more nimble - no question about it. I had made up my mind with pricing with dealer set on phone but made a a quick U-turn after sitting and driving it. I am not sure about 2014 but wouldn't be that different except you get better mileage now (a big plus for MDX).
X3 is bit smaller but a very functional and extremly nimble SAV. If want 7 seats then MDX is the best though you can try GL too. SO these 2 cars are in a different league - all depends on what you are looking for.
Q5 back seats are a joke with that high center tunnel. Perhaps I am biased towards that blue and white roundel but it has everything that a small SUV/SAV should have.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
For me it was (still is actually) between the X3 and the Macan S. Each has its advantages:

X3 - Price (significantly less), Fuel Economy, More Space, Free Maintenance

Macan S - Handling, Faster, Better Fit and Finish (much higher quality interior), European Delivery, Great Local Porsche Dealer

I've got a deposit down an a Macan, and will probably go that route. However, the X3 at about $20K less is tempting.

Past BMWs:
1983 320i
1987 325
1996 M3 (ED)
1998 M3 Cabrio (ED)
2002 530i (ED)

Current Cars:
2005 X3 (ED)
2006 Mini Cooper Cabrio
2006 Porsche 911 Cabrio
Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
MDX SHAWD with Tech can be had for about 47k - as learnt from one of my friend. I drove MDX 2010 and it felt big. My 2010 X5 felt lighter and more nimble - no question about it. I had made up my mind with pricing with dealer set on phone but made a a quick U-turn after sitting and driving it. I am not sure about 2014 but wouldn't be that different except you get better mileage now (a big plus for MDX).
X3 is bit smaller but a very functional and extremly nimble SAV. If want 7 seats then MDX is the best though you can try GL too. SO these 2 cars are in a different league - all depends on what you are looking for.
Q5 back seats are a joke with that high center tunnel. Perhaps I am biased towards that blue and white roundel but it has everything that a small SUV/SAV should have.
The MDX got 300# lighter, quieter, larger 3rd row for '14. Engine went DI, but IMO should have moved to that ZF 8-speed. But since I no longer needed the space, I looked at X3 & Macan, which is on order. IMO you must spend LOTS more $$ to get better 3-row than the '14 MDX.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 AM

We really don't need the third row seats right now, but I can see it come in handy when relatives are visiting, and folded down gives more cargo room.

I was able to test drive it yesterday, first test drive of MDX, base model, it was a very short test drive, but here are my thoughts.

I did feel that it was a big car, comparable to the lexus RX350, but this handled much better. I like that I can get heated seats and steering wheel, major put off on the lexus (no heated steering wheels). One thing on the MDX that was missing is auto folding side mirrors, I think from reading they are available to the canadian markets but not in the U.S.

I like how switching to sports mode makes the steering wheel tighter, i guess it does something to the suspension as well but you won't feel much difference.

Lumbar support is available on the drivers side but its just in and out and not up and down as well like in the BMW's and the passenger side does not have it unless you upgrade to the Advance. The MPG is comparable to the X3.

I will need to go back and drive it again and for a little longer to get a real feel for the car.
I have been also reading the MDX forum and there have been a few complains about the DI engine noise inside the cabin, and few software bugs, so that concerns me as everyone says to stay away from first year model cars.

Yes the Macan is a nice car, but too expensive, the X5 is nice too but the X3 is almost the size of the last gen X5 and gets better mpg than the X5.

The Q5 for me the exterior styling is its biggest plus and it stops there, I don't care much about it apart from how it looks.

If I was getting the same size wise with the X3 as compared to the RAV4 i would get the X3, but although its an upgrade it is a downgrade size wise and we need the size.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 28i, 2009 BMW
Quote:
We really don't need the third row seats right now, but I can see it come in handy when relatives are visiting, and folded down gives more cargo room.

I was able to test drive it yesterday, first test drive of MDX, base model, it was a very short test drive, but here are my thoughts.

I did feel that it was a big car, comparable to the lexus RX350, but this handled much better. I like that I can get heated seats and steering wheel, major put off on the lexus (no heated steering wheels). One thing on the MDX that was missing is auto folding side mirrors, I think from reading they are available to the canadian markets but not in the U.S.

I like how switching to sports mode makes the steering wheel tighter, i guess it does something to the suspension as well but you won't feel much difference.

Lumbar support is available on the drivers side but its just in and out and not up and down as well like in the BMW's and the passenger side does not have it unless you upgrade to the Advance. The MPG is comparable to the X3.

I will need to go back and drive it again and for a little longer to get a real feel for the car.
I have been also reading the MDX forum and there have been a few complains about the DI engine noise inside the cabin, and few software bugs, so that concerns me as everyone says to stay away from first year model cars.

Yes the Macan is a nice car, but too expensive, the X5 is nice too but the X3 is almost the size of the last gen X5 and gets better mpg than the X5.

The Q5 for me the exterior styling is its biggest plus and it stops there, I don't care much about it apart from how it looks.

If I was getting the same size wise with the X3 as compared to the RAV4 i would get the X3, but although its an upgrade it is a downgrade size wise and we need the size.
I am not sure how you say the RAV4 is bigger then the X3. What year of RAV4 do you have? I have an 14 28i X3 and love it! It is great in the snow and gas millage is almost as good as my old Acura RSX. Pretty impressive for an SUV.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX328i View Post
I am not sure how you say the RAV4 is bigger then the X3. What year of RAV4 do you have? I have an 14 28i X3 and love it! It is great in the snow and gas millage is almost as good as my old Acura RSX. Pretty impressive for an SUV.
I don't have the dimensions and can't find X3's and this is based on my looking at it.

The back seat on the RAV4 has flat floor which makes it look bigger and can accommodate 3 adults but wont be comfortable. The cargo area in the RAV4 looks bigger than the X3, it could be that the rav4 is a little wider, this a 2009 RAV4 V6 that I have.

I also think that the 2 rails or whatever you call it in the X3 trunk makes the trunk space look smaller, as the mind perceives it that way.

I may be completely wrong and off here, so before I take the X3 off the list I would take a tape and measure it to make sure. Anyways I will be waiting for the 2015 X3's to come out.

I know this is a BMW forum and some members may not like that I am trying to discuss another make and model, but I feel this forum is filled with so many knowledgeable and helpful people, so I like to discuss others cars compared to BMW and each of their pros and cons.

Sorry for discussing other brands.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Have you tried this site?

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...rucks/compare/

And I think you are right - the RAV4 trunk is larger, by almost 15%. However, I went from a 100 sf trunk to now 63 in the X3 and we'll manage.-

Well, it helps that our two oldest kids are no longer driving with us. It's just the two of us and the 13 year old.

Last edited by flavius99; 02-18-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
OP, another vehicle to consider is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I historically have owned foreign vehicles but took a gamble a two years ago and bought a 2011 JGC Overland. I sold it with near 40k miles and never had one issue. While the X3 would provide better performance, it was really a well rounded SUV. Some of the luxury features include air suspension, heated and cooled front seats, pano roof, heated steering wheel and rear seats, remote start, etc. Depending on engine, an Overland would cost $45-48k. I was going to keep it but decided to buy a vehicle that offer more "flexibility" (see my sig).

What is your budget? What is most important to you in selecting a replacement vehicle?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 AM

I have heard that the Jeep is heavy and feels heavy to drive as well, besides they are not very reliable and don't really care about the jeep that much anyways. I am glad that it worked out well for you for the duration you had it.

The comparison site is good, however, I am not sure how accurate their numbers are for interior dimension, some of the numbers look off or incorrect the way its presented, like for one vehicle I found that they list the same number from 1st and the 2 second seat for cargo.

Does anyone know why BMW does not provide the dimensions?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
I have seen them for the X3 somewhere - there are a number of car comparison sites that you can check. Google is your friend to find those sites.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
For the X3, the dimensions and general specifications can be found on BMW's website http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...i/default.aspx. Search is your friend.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35I
sid369

What you chose to drive is a personal choice. It should be based on how you intend to use the vehicle, your personal preferences, and ability to afford it. Nothing else said here is going to satisfy your indecisiveness. Choose and enjoy it because its what you want. Read the Forum, gather information, and then pick one.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 AM

Yes, however, I like to get other owners thoughts as they give an insight as having owned a car and help other members avoid it if its not good for some reason. As you said, just trying to gather information and will ultimately depend on what I can afford and how much I like it etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, however, I like to get other owners thoughts as they give an insight as having owned a car and help other members avoid it if its not good for some reason. As you said, just trying to gather information and will ultimately depend on what I can afford and how much I like it etc.
Don't buy a Yugo, even if it has low miles.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Also don't forget the XC60 -- very close to the X3 especially in the "R" line. Personally I would consider the Nissan/Infiniti offerings as well, along with the various GM & Ford offerings. Our local constabulary is now running Explorers and surprisingly seem happy with the performance, albeit enhanced with the "police package" handling. There are a ton of great offerings out there now and you are really doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least look at some of these, Koreans included.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 14 Acura MDX;13 Ford CMax
We have a 2014 Acura MDX so I thought I'd chime in. I joined just to give my quick thoughts, but have also been thinking about adding a 2015 BMW X3 diesel to our garage when they arrive.

We really like our MDX. They trimmed down the measurements slightly from the old generation, except the length is a couple inches longer. It feels slightly smaller than the old generation (I owned an '07 MDX prior) in a good way, especially width. Compared to the old MDX 2014 is MUCH quieter and rides a bit softer. It's certainly not super sporty, but it is much more so than most other SUVs. Not sure the X3 and MDX are in the same class, but I don't think one would feel the MDX was TOO significantly larger than the X3. We have only used our 3rd row once in 5 months, but I suppose it's nice to have if needed.

We have the loaded package MDX and added accessories that brought the MSRP up to $60K. At that time I was thinking "maybe we should wait and order the X5" but we still would have paid $10K more for the X5 we would've wanted. My wife didn't really want to drive a BMW either, so Acura was a nice compromise with the luxury features I wanted with a bit lower profile that she wanted.

I test drove an X3 a few weeks ago in preparation for possibly trading in our small hybrid wagon (Ford C-Max) when the diesel arrives. We may wait to check out the 2 series Active Tourer everyone hates The X3 is more sporty than the MDX for sure and significantly smaller and more engaging.

The new MDX appears more like a wagon than an SUV. The infotainment system is not great and voice commands have been disappointing (supposedly a fix is out for this now and I will be updating it soon), but the system is livable. I do wish there were hard buttons for things like seat heaters rather than in an LCD screen menu, but again it's not horrible. Apparently the software/hardware update will fix the voice commands for the seat heaters. Our fuel economy has been much improved over the past generation, but still slightly lower than the X3 it appears (and on equal grounds with the small 6 in the X5). It would be nice to have an 8 speed in the MDX, but it doesn't bother me not to ... Honda is generally behind others in transmission speeds.

Of note -- we had our hearts set (wife especially) on the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and when they kept pushing back the release date we started looking around. When we test drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Acura MDX back to back my wife looked at me and said, "Why would anyone pick the Jeep over the Acura?" The steering felt SO much more heavy in the Jeep to her ... obviously this makes sense given its purpose and size ... but she had been REALLY anticipating the Jeep and ended up disliking its drive qualities a great deal in favor of the Acura MDX. We also tested the Infiniti JX and it felt too lumbering for me to even consider it. I still wonder about whether we should've waited for the diesel X5, but I don't think she would've gone for a BMW sadly.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the 2014 MDX ... I am critical of cars and will try and give honest answers.

Last edited by Husker4theSpurs; 02-20-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Interesting... after skimming through these posts, im shocked so many prefer the Acura... Before our X3 my wife drove a Honda Accord... Naturally we went and looked the Hondas sister company Acura... In my humble opinion its a glorified Honda... the interior look and feel are close to the Honda... My wife liked the MDX.... I put my foot down, and said if your leaning this way, im buying the the Honda Pilot instead and save thousand... Basically the same anyways im my opinion, they uses plenty of cross parts... The real value is in the Honda I think.

I know Ill get some haters on this! lol But its my opinion and I'm sticking to it !
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision