Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: M3, MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
Interesting... after skimming through these posts, im shocked so many prefer the Acura... Before our X3 my wife drove a Honda Accord... Naturally we went and looked the Hondas sister company Acura... In my humble opinion its a glorified Honda... the interior look and feel are close to the Honda... My wife liked the MDX.... I put my foot down, and said if your leaning this way, im buying the the Honda Pilot instead and save thousand... Basically the same anyways im my opinion, they uses plenty of cross parts... The real value is in the Honda I think.

I know Ill get some haters on this! lol But its my opinion and I'm sticking to it !
You can make many similar comparisons....is RX vs. Highlander, Enclave vs. Traverse, Infiniti vs. Nissan, etc. Obviously many want the "premium" brand due to design, better warrantees, amenities, status, better dealer experience, upgraded powertrains, often better residuals, etc. Since this is a BMW forum, I'll compare my wife's '08 and ,10 MDX to most direct competitor, the X5. Is the X5 (at $65K) worth $16K more than comp. equipped MDX tech(@ $49K)? The MDX has better resale (which offsets the free service), longer warrantee, cheaper insurance rates, a more sophisticated AWD system, and a usable 3rd row. It doesn't handle like the X5, but a far sight better than an RX350. And putting over 90,000 miles on the two MDXs, they were never at the dealer aside from normal service. I can't say that about my previous four BMWs (3 series, M3). People buy according to their wants. Many people looking for a nice 3-row
suv think the MDX is a good option....ownership a little more than a Pilot, but a LOT less expensive than an X5 (or ML or Cayenne, etc).
Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Interesting... after skimming through these posts, im shocked so many prefer the Acura... Before our X3 my wife drove a Honda Accord... Naturally we went and looked the Hondas sister company Acura... In my humble opinion its a glorified Honda... the interior look and feel are close to the Honda... My wife liked the MDX.... I put my foot down, and said if your leaning this way, im buying the the Honda Pilot instead and save thousand... Basically the same anyways im my opinion, they uses plenty of cross parts... The real value is in the Honda I think.

I know Ill get some haters on this! lol But its my opinion and I'm sticking to it !

Of course it's a glorified Honda, it's called badge engineering. Some Acuras are sold as Hondas in other markets.

BTW the Porsche Cayenne is in many ways a glorified VW Toureg. I am surprised the Toureg hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. The fully loaded diesel has an MSRP of less than 60k and a well optioned gas model can be had for less than 50k. Interior is not as nice as the Porsche but at least as good as a BMW's. Drives much better than the new X5 or X3 (has proper steering feel). The diesel Cayenne with the base suspension uses the same drive train, same AWD system and most of the same suspension components. Can't get air suspension on the Toureg but you can get 360 degree cameras which aren't available on the Porsche.

I recently heavily researched the Jeep GC. Didn't like all the cheap plastics in the interior, didn't like the Nav and judging by the Jeep forums, quality control is abysmal. The reliability of the 2014 is particularly bad.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: RAV4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker4theSpurs View Post
We have a 2014 Acura MDX so I thought I'd chime in. I joined just to give my quick thoughts, but have also been thinking about adding a 2015 BMW X3 diesel to our garage when they arrive.

We really like our MDX. They trimmed down the measurements slightly from the old generation, except the length is a couple inches longer. It feels slightly smaller than the old generation (I owned an '07 MDX prior) in a good way, especially width. Compared to the old MDX 2014 is MUCH quieter and rides a bit softer. It's certainly not super sporty, but it is much more so than most other SUVs. Not sure the X3 and MDX are in the same class, but I don't think one would feel the MDX was TOO significantly larger than the X3. We have only used our 3rd row once in 5 months, but I suppose it's nice to have if needed.

We have the loaded package MDX and added accessories that brought the MSRP up to $60K. At that time I was thinking "maybe we should wait and order the X5" but we still would have paid $10K more for the X5 we would've wanted. My wife didn't really want to drive a BMW either, so Acura was a nice compromise with the luxury features I wanted with a bit lower profile that she wanted.

I test drove an X3 a few weeks ago in preparation for possibly trading in our small hybrid wagon (Ford C-Max) when the diesel arrives. We may wait to check out the 2 series Active Tourer everyone hates The X3 is more sporty than the MDX for sure and significantly smaller and more engaging.

The new MDX appears more like a wagon than an SUV. The infotainment system is not great and voice commands have been disappointing (supposedly a fix is out for this now and I will be updating it soon), but the system is livable. I do wish there were hard buttons for things like seat heaters rather than in an LCD screen menu, but again it's not horrible. Apparently the software/hardware update will fix the voice commands for the seat heaters. Our fuel economy has been much improved over the past generation, but still slightly lower than the X3 it appears (and on equal grounds with the small 6 in the X5). It would be nice to have an 8 speed in the MDX, but it doesn't bother me not to ... Honda is generally behind others in transmission speeds.

Of note -- we had our hearts set (wife especially) on the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and when they kept pushing back the release date we started looking around. When we test drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Acura MDX back to back my wife looked at me and said, "Why would anyone pick the Jeep over the Acura?" The steering felt SO much more heavy in the Jeep to her ... obviously this makes sense given its purpose and size ... but she had been REALLY anticipating the Jeep and ended up disliking its drive qualities a great deal in favor of the Acura MDX. We also tested the Infiniti JX and it felt too lumbering for me to even consider it. I still wonder about whether we should've waited for the diesel X5, but I don't think she would've gone for a BMW sadly.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the 2014 MDX ... I am critical of cars and will try and give honest answers.
Thank you for posting your experience owning a 2014 MDX, after having read the no. of issue and bugs that the new MDX has, I am thinking of not getting the 2014 MDX. Once our other car lease is up, maybe by then the MDX is fixed with all the issues and we would reconsider it. It is a good value for money but the benefit of 3rd row just in case someone needs to use it, otherwise the largo cargo space is useful.

Apart from BMW, I don't know any other company that doesn't share parts. if Acura is a glorified pilot, the RX is a glorified highlander, the Q5 from a VW, and so on. But one gets these luxury cars for service, experience and the overall design and interior with features that are not available in the standard non luxury cars.

Now I have again been interested in the Q5, which I will hopefully get to test drive. I think the first time around I did not give it enough time and discarded it too quickly.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Now I have again been interested in the Q5, which I will hopefully get to test drive. I think the first time around I did not give it enough time and discarded it too quickly.
Do give the Q5 serious consideration, especially the diesel IMO. It's a fantastic, very high quality, very well rounded smaller SUV. For me, it sits between the X3 and the Macan.

Past BMWs:
1983 320i
1987 325
1996 M3 (ED)
1998 M3 Cabrio (ED)
2002 530i (ED)

Current Cars:
2005 X3 (ED)
2006 Mini Cooper Cabrio
2006 Porsche 911 Cabrio
Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i
we have a 2008 MDX that I'm ready to trade. Wife's car - she likes it, I hate it. The gas mileage is horrible (12 - 13 MPG), the road noise is annoying, the build quality is no where near BMW, and quality of the leather is crap and thin, thin paint, thin sheet metal, the bluetooth tech sucks, the voice recog sucks, and the nav sucks... And to top it off, our reliability hasn't been stellar. It's been low TCO though due to Acura Care warranty, and the warranty issues have been limited to 1 or 2 a year. In the 3 years we've owned it, I've had to buy tires, brakes and a battery. Not too bad.

Honda / Acura does a pretty good job at making very practical cars that are dependable and you don't have to worry about heading to the shop on a regular basis. The driving dynamics are better than average. They almost always look like the most practical choice "on paper". But IMHO, they are not luxury cars and in the end are a poor value, for what matter to me at least - And I've had 6 different Honda / Acura vehicles in my life. My 2 cents... you've been warned on the Acura Obviously most people don't agree with my assessment as the resale is really good almost any Acura, save maybe the RL.

I'm looking to replace her car... most likely X3 eventually, but Q5, Toureg, and Cayenne are all on the short list as well.

Last edited by LivinSD; 02-21-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
X5 RWD with no options is worth considering with a MSRP of $55,725.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you for posting your experience owning a 2014 MDX, after having read the no. of issue and bugs that the new MDX has, I am thinking of not getting the 2014 MDX. Once our other car lease is up, maybe by then the MDX is fixed with all the issues and we would reconsider it. It is a good value for money but the benefit of 3rd row just in case someone needs to use it, otherwise the largo cargo space is useful.

Apart from BMW, I don't know any other company that doesn't share parts. if Acura is a glorified pilot, the RX is a glorified highlander, the Q5 from a VW, and so on. But one gets these luxury cars for service, experience and the overall design and interior with features that are not available in the standard non luxury cars.

There actually isn't a VW version of the Q5. There is a Porsche based on the Q5 though, the Macan.

If you are looking for more space than an X3, the VW Toureg would be a better choice than the Q5.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 14 Acura MDX;13 Ford CMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinSD View Post
we have a 2008 MDX that I'm ready to trade. Wife's car - she likes it, I hate it. The gas mileage is horrible (12 - 13 MPG), the road noise is annoying, the build quality is no where near BMW, and quality of the leather is crap and thin, thin paint, thin sheet metal, the bluetooth tech sucks, the voice recog sucks, and the nav sucks... And to top it off, our reliability hasn't been stellar. It's been low TCO though due to Acura Care warranty, and the warranty issues have been limited to 1 or 2 a year. In the 3 years we've owned it, I've had to buy tires, brakes and a battery. Not too bad.

Honda / Acura does a pretty good job at making very practical cars that are dependable and you don't have to worry about heading to the shop on a regular basis. The driving dynamics are better than average. They almost always look like the most practical choice "on paper". But IMHO, they are not luxury cars and in the end are a poor value, for what matter to me at least - And I've had 6 different Honda / Acura vehicles in my life. My 2 cents... you've been warned on the Acura Obviously most people don't agree with my assessment as the resale is really good almost any Acura, save maybe the RL.

I'm looking to replace her car... most likely X3 eventually, but Q5, Toureg, and Cayenne are all on the short list as well.
I'd they suck so bad, why have you bought 6 of them? I agree they aren't the luxury many of the luxury brands are. I've had two and have liked them both but BMW are much better cars overall.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 AM

The Q5 diesel is a good choice, but you have to pay a premium for it, I will be leasing it so the cost saving of gas won't offset the price of the car. I was surprised that the Q5 has a larger cargo area than the X3. X3 is a fine car don't get me wrong, but having a 3 series already if just feels like a taller 3 series, with the interior not on par with the price you pay for it. The X5 interior feels much more luxurious.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I was surprised that the Q5 has a larger cargo area than the X3.
The space advantage shifts to the X3 when the rear seats are folded down:

Cargo volume (cubic ft)..............Q5..........X3
...........behind the rear seats:......29.1........27.6
............rear seats folded flat: .....57.3........63.3
Old 02-23-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post

FYI The Toureg is 32-64.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
if your leaning this way, im buying the the Honda Pilot instead and save thousand... Basically the same anyways im my opinion, they uses plenty of cross parts..

Your, im, save thousand, anyways, they uses?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
if your leaning this way, im buying the the Honda Pilot instead and save thousand... Basically the same anyways im my opinion, they uses plenty of cross parts..

The Pilot is an excellent alternative to the MDX. Neither are really comparable with the X3. For that you need an X5, Q5, Toureg or Cayenne. The Q7 is to big and the Tiguan is too small.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
The Pilot is an excellent alternative to the MDX.
Not right now. The Pilot is severely outdated, optically, technically etc. A redesign is expected for 2015. The MDX has already been refreshed this year.-
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post

Great... I came on the internet for some wise guy to make comments on my grammar, and spelling...
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Quote:
Great... I came on the internet for some wise guy to make comments on my grammar, and spelling...
Hopefully it's your typing rather than your knowledge of grammar and spelling.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post

Interesting that the X3 with seats folded down have a little more space than the Q5.
I like BMW's in general, nothing matches up with the way they drive, but the Q5 interior is much nicer.

Curious if anyone her owns a Q5 and what has been their experience.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 28i X3
Before buying my 2012 X3, I looked at the Audi Q5 which to me looks to plain, the Volvo XC60 which does not drive that nice and has terrible blind spots! I had a 2008 RAV 4 with the V-6 which was good to me but I wanted to try something more engaging and of course the prestigeous name of BMW. Yes the cargo space is more with the RAV 4 as the floor is lower and the back seats moves forward and backward which was nice. But for the difference of cargo space I was happy with the X3. The rear seat space was very similar I can sit comfortably behind myself in the RAV 4 and the X3 which is not the case in most competitors! Yes the X3 has the bump in the middle but never has anyone yet had to sit in the rear middle spot. We are only two so the space is plenty in the X3. It has very nice lines on all body parts much more enjoyable to look at than a Q5! I love the drive, the comfort, the fuel economy which is the same as my RAV 4 was. I know the reliability is apparently not the same, but that is a price I am willing to pay to drive such an enjoyable vehicle!

2010 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
lol

Quote:
Yes the Cayenne is a good alternative but more expensive. I am really now starting to like the MDX, haven't looked at the Toureg.

Lexus is supposed to come up with a new NX this fall, will be looking to see how that turns out to be.

The X3 is great but I feel like for the amount you are spending on the X3 you are not getting luxurious stuff. I think its a good driving car, but does not take luxury into account. The X5 feels more luxurious but is much more expensive.
LoL, watch my Vid review and tell me you don't want this car...you'll see what I'm talking about..

Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 28i X3
Your video is very well done! It makes me want to trade my 28i for a 35i with M sport but you have to pay for that performance! I still like my 28i at least it is the six cylinder engine which was the last year for the X3 28i now replaced with a 4cyl. turbo. My six cylinder at least sounds nicer than the new four cylinder!

2010 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
I have watched that video and it must be hard on some of the 28i owners that cheaped out and should have spent the extra money.

I happen to think that the X3 28i works well as a package. Should I ever watch this video again I probably think *3 series here I come* - or there might already be another BMW in the garage. There are tons of 2011 E90's on the market right now!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting that the X3 with seats folded down have a little more space than the Q5.
I like BMW's in general, nothing matches up with the way they drive, but the Q5 interior is much nicer.

Curious if anyone her owns a Q5 and what has been their experience.
I don't think BMWs drive like they used to. The EPS has ruined the experience. I haven't driven the Q5 but both the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Toureg drive much better than the current X3 or X5 IMHO. Since Audis and Volkswagens share many of the same components including AWD system, I would expect them to be similar to the Q5.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
I don't think BMWs drive like they used to. The EPS has ruined the experience. I haven't driven the Q5 but both the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Toureg drive much better than the current X3 or X5 IMHO. Since Audis and Volkswagens share many of the same components including AWD system, I would expect them to be similar to the Q5.
EPS on Q5 is worse than X3, imo. Having said that hydraulic on X1 xdrive is of course much much better..
Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
EPS on Q5 is worse than X3, imo. Having said that hydraulic on X1 xdrive is of course much much better..

I wasn't aware there was EPS on the Q5. In that case the Toureg is clearly the best choice for those who can't afford the Porsche.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 12 X3 28i
Besides the size and options for other SUVs, did anybody compare the X3's safety features to other SUVs, such as dynamic stability control (DSC) and descent control? My primary driving for X3 is winter conditions. So, the sportiness is less important to me. IMO, these controls make driving easier and safer. Also, the DSC with AWD makes less likely spin-out than 4WD on snow-covered highways at high speeds. If I remember this right, 2011 X3 was found to be the safest SUV in 2011 by European.