Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcar View Post
Besides the size and options for other SUVs, did anybody compare the X3's safety features to other SUVs, such as dynamic stability control (DSC) and descent control? My primary driving for X3 is winter conditions. So, the sportiness is less important to me. IMO, these controls make driving easier and safer. Also, the DSC with AWD makes less likely spin-out than 4WD on snow-covered highways at high speeds. If I remember this right, 2011 X3 was found to be the safest SUV in 2011 by European.

Pretty sure all the German SUVs have those features. The Toureg certainly does.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: RAV4
What do you guys think about the MB GLK. This is on par as far as the size goes with the X3 and the Q5, but don't know about it reliability etc.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
What do you guys think about the MB GLK. This is on par as far as the size goes with the X3 and the Q5, but don't know about it reliability etc.

My in-laws have a '12 GLK 350 and it's reliability has been pretty good so far but as I've driven it a few times, it does not compare to the drive of my X3...it is definitely a calm soothing ride if your looking for that type of drive but if you fancy some excitement while driving, the GLK is not for you. And I actually find my X3 much more comfortable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Audi A4 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Sid,

From several reviews I've read, the GLK is rated significantly below the X3 and the Audi Q5.

Dan.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: RAV4
Thanks Dan, I did not even look at the GLK so was wondering if I left something out.

Looks like the Q5 is what I am inclined to go with. Lexus is supposed to come out with a new smaller SUV the NX, it should be announced in a couple of weeks, would be interesting to see the details.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
I am always baffled when reviewers online say that Q5 has more rear seat room - are they kidding. The rear center tunnel takes away half of the rear leg space. I am talking about 2010 Q5 3.2 and newer ones haven't changed anything.
Perhaps my bias towards BMWs

If you want small SUV with good rear space, RDX would be a good one but then acura belittled themselves by having 2013 accords have more features than on 2013 RDX
Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: X3, LR2
I am new to this forum but have been driving X3s (both E83 and F25) for a decade. Leases on both our cars (2011 X3 and Land Rover LR2) are up, later this year. While I would just upgrade the X3 to the 2015 model, I am unsure what to do about the LR2. It comes in handy for those offroad weekend trips to the lake, but it has been less than reliable. I looked at a number of vehicles with offroad options, including the RR Evoque, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the new Jeep Cherokee and even the Subaru Forester. I even thought of getting a second X3, but my wife vetoed that idea .

I don't mind the styling of the Evoque and it was well appointed (if pricey) but I cannot get over the lack of visibility. My experience with the LR2 also doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about another Rover product. I've driven the Subaru before and I know that it can be reliable but it felt pretty utilitarian (I need the offroad capability but still have to spend 3 hours on the highway in comfort). I am also not a fan of the CVT transmission. I originally went to see the Jeep Grand Cherokee (which frankly I do not like and find too large for my needs), but I noticed the new Cherokee and in spite of the controversial styling took a test drive. I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed by the ride (not as exciting as the X3 but very stable and predictable) and the interior fit and finish (I did drive the top of the line model). The price is also much lower but I am worried about reliability, especially as it is a first year model with a 9-speed automatic.

Obviously I will have to make my own decisions, but any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
In your case it appears to be pretty much a game of elimination as there are really not a lot of cars that could qualify. That's unfortunate.-

Right now, I wouldn't touch a Jeep with a ten foot pole. You mentioned Subaru before but not the Outback, nor any Volvos like the XC70.. I have looked at both recently and owned an Outback before the redesign. I think the V6 could be fun and practical in a good way.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Has anyone seen this YouTube clips x3 vs the q5 vs all other small SUV??? How accurate are the videos showing off the X drive feature vs the competition???
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
I watched all this before I got the X3 late last year - and I was very skeptical. All I took away was that the X3 with xDrive doesn't suck in difficult road conditions.

Now I driven my X3 through a number of storms this winter, under very difficult conditions at times. I didn't experience anything contrary to their claims, quite the opposite. This is with the standard Pirell P7 all season tires.

2014 X3 xDrive28i

Last edited by flavius99; 03-02-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:07 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 12 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius99 View Post
I watched all this before I got the X3 late last year - and I was very skeptical. All I took away was that the X3 with xDrive doesn't suck in difficult road conditions.

Now I driven my X3 through a number of storms this winter, under very difficult conditions at times. I didn't experience anything contrary to their claims, quite the opposite. This is with the standard Pirell P7 all season tires.
I agree on the winter driving with X3. My X3 has Goodyear all season tires which were replaced by a local BMW dealer on the last December. They asked me if I wanted snow tires. I have been taking my X3 to the White Mountains, Green Mtns, and Adirondacks for skiing and/or ice climbing almost ever weekends, and many times drove on snow/icy roads. But, I never felt of a need of snow tires. During one of the weekend trips, on the same road I was driving X3, my friend driving a 4WD span out and hit a snow bank and then flipped over his car. Thanks for the DSC with AWD, I drove through without fish tailing.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i
More reasons to stay away from Honda / Acura products?

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...entry-how.html

"The thief has what it is call a little box similar like an alarm hidden in the palm of their hand and they usually work on the passenger side door only. The target usually work on Acura and Honda the most.
This has been on the news and TV already back in June 2013.
Better not leave valuable item in the car."

http://www.today.com/news/police-adm...fts-6C10169993