Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: E34 525i touring
E34 Engine Swap

My E34 525 Touring has a dead motor. I have acquired a 528 twin cam motor. Is is a major to transplant? I have been told it is, namely the computer has to be changed as does the wiring harness and apparently it has to be mated to security system. All sounds too hard. I should imaging that somebody has done it and can advise me accordingly.
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
what year and engine is your E34 touring? it should be an M50 engine.

there are a couple of different ways to skin this cat, each successive idea is better than the one before it, but all will work

1 way to solve this is to swap all the M50 wiring and intake over onto the M52 engine. you will need to tap the head to install a second sensor for the gauge cluster, or install one in the top radiator pipe. you will also need to change the front timing wheel and put the M50 one on the M52 engine as they are different. This will get the engine running and driveable. at this point you can leave the conversion here and rely on the built in adaptions in the ECU to vary fuel and air to try and compensate for the 300cc increase. This conversion shouldnt cost you anything but your time as you have the parts already

alternatively, you can just remap the M52 ECU and delete the EWS system. there is a guy on E30zone forum that can do it, i forget his name, that a friend of mine here used, but there are plenty of people around that can do it. you will still need to tap the head for a second coolant sensor for the gauge cluster, or put one in the top heater pipe.

or thirdly, do both. convert the car to OBD1 using all of your M50 parts, and then remap the ECU to take advantage of the extra 300cc and get a bit more power out of the car at the same time, about 30hp or so more, should take you to approx 200-210hp at the flywheel, up from around 170 for either of the other two options.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 02-16-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52, 03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post

or thirdly, do both. convert the car to OBD1 using all of your M50 parts, and then remap the ECU to take advantage of the extra 300cc and get a bit more power out of the car at the same time, about 30hp or so more, should take you to approx 200-210hp at the flywheel, up from around 170 for either of the other two options.
This.

As long as the 528 motor you have is an M52 engine from a 1997-1998 5 Series, you are in good shape. The key is to make sure it is a single VANOS engine. If it is an M52tu motor from a 1999-2000 528i, then you have a problem and the swap is a lot more complicated. Those later engines had dual VANOS and the E34 engine computer (DME) cannot control them.

Assuming it is an M52 engine, you simply install all the M50 fuel and intake manifold parts along with the M50 wiring harness. The existing M50 computer can handle the 2.8 liter engine's airflow and fuel metering. A E36 forum member over on Bimmerforums, did this several years ago and did some dyno tests to prove it works. You can get a little more power with a custom chip tune but my memory tells me it was only about 10-15 HP more than the stock M50 chip got.

Regarding the temperature sensor - the M50 uses two separate sensors and the M52 uses one physical sensor with dual elements in it. Turner Motorsport makes an adapter that will let you use the M52 sensor with the M50 wiring harness. This is the easiest way.

You don't need to use the 528 wiring harness and computer. You may want to use the 2.8 engine's fuel injectors as they flow a little more. This would make more sense if you buy a performance chip. If you go this route, I suggest looking up The Racer's Market. This guy has done some very good chip tunes for our community over the years. i run one of his chips on my S52 engine swap.

Bottom line is that this is an easy swap with the M52 2.8 liter engine. Anyone who tells you different should not be allowed to touch your car.

There is some good info in this link for an S52 engine swap into an E34. S52 and M52 are identical in terms of engine block dimensions, sensor locations, wiring harness, etc. Only difference is S52 has hotter cams and is 3.2 liter displacement.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-64-LSD-Thread

Last edited by mda185; 02-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
IMO the most logical, easiest and best way are the same.

M52b28tu single vanos.
M50b25tu wire harness
M50b25tu intake manifold (better flow + obd1 rules)
M50b25tu DME, works great stock then is also the easiest to get a tune since its takes chips. Accommodating the extra displacement.
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. C.A.I/JBR LWFW/ Dinan tune/hi flow exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013