Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Installed Meth in 335i...!!!

Just finished installing the meth kit from BMS along with their charge pipe and connected everything to my already installed JB4. If anyone has any questions on doing this let me know. I also installed a custom made steal charge pipe that has the methanol line fittings. I saved the old one for warranty service times and was surprised to see how much oil dripped out of that thing when I removed it. Hence, I ordered the oil catch can and will install that next.
I did a trunk mount pump and meth tank and ran the lines from the trunk through the firewall. I do NOT need any more power for this car as I'm sure I would need a new rear end at some point. Cool thing is you can turn the methanol flow off via the JB4 controls to conserve or only use it when you want (I might turn it on here and there now but usually conserve the methanol). The car literally hops when I step on it and jumps forward at low speeds. At high speeds it now has that high end power you seem to lose after 3rd's last good good pull and going into 4th's low pull cruising gear.
Wasn't the hardest thing to install but for a first timer, wasn't the easiest. Could now do it in 2-3 hours I think.

Regards,

SP

Last edited by sptt144; 02-16-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Being a relative newbie to the BMW world, I have questions about these performance mods.

Does adding JB4 (or equivalent) and a tune shorten the lifespan of either the engine, the turbos, or both? What about other drivetrain components? I am curious about whether BMW conservatively tuned the engine at the moderate amount of boost a stock 335i provides and adding another 5 or so psi is something the car is easily capable of handling. I see lots of positive comments regarding the performance of mods, but little information on long term effects. I bought my car a few weeks ago (2007) with 64K on the clock and would like to see at least 100K without major issues. I understand that things break, but I don't want to exacerbate things unnecessarily.

Shakey
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM

I'll let you know when I get to 100k! I have had car into dealer for engine issues with JB4 installed and they took care of everything. I just turned the tuner off. For the meth, I'll simply pull it out before going in.
I'm at 48k right now and just drained/refilled my zf tranny fluid.
Sent from my SCH-I405 using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by sptt144; 02-17-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Momukhamo
Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeydeal View Post
Being a relative newbie to the BMW world, I have questions about these performance mods.

Does adding JB4 (or equivalent) and a tune shorten the lifespan of either the engine, the turbos, or both? What about other drivetrain components? I am curious about whether BMW conservatively tuned the engine at the moderate amount of boost a stock 335i provides and adding another 5 or so psi is something the car is easily capable of handling. I see lots of positive comments regarding the performance of mods, but little information on long term effects. I bought my car a few weeks ago (2007) with 64K on the clock and would like to see at least 100K without major issues. I understand that things break, but I don't want to exacerbate things unnecessarily.

Shakey
Im not the expert here but i dont believe it will shorten your cars life as long as u take care of your car by doing your regular maintenance, making sure u warm up the car all that little stuff plus JB4 has a map that can detect if something is wrong with your car and it will switch back to stock by itself

I just installed it a couple weeks ago still tryna play with it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Lets see some pictures!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeydeal View Post

Shakey
It can definitely increase part wear. But as long as you maintain the car properly, you won't see this wear affecting your car anytime soon.

If you're like most people, you will probably be in a new car before this wear catches up with you.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 PM

Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-0816.12.50.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	425138   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-0816.24.52.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	425139   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-0719.21.18.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	425140   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-0811.38.57.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	425141   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-0816.12.44.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	425142  

Name:	2014-02-0816.24.40.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	425143  
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM

a few more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-02-0710.22.08.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	425146   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-0811.39.03.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	425147   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-0811.40.44.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	425148  
Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1393474639.064938.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	425150

Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 PM

I also installed a new charge pipe (from BMS) that has a meth line nozzle fitting on the top and bottom in place of the original charge pipe. You don't need to do this but the original does not come with a hole (and is plastic) but you can easily take it off. There is a flat side on the original pipe that you can drill and tap and thread the spray nozzle into if you want. You can also buy an elbow that attaches to the original that has a fitting for around $60.00. I saved the original in case I have any issues (and can quickly resintall) since I'm under CPO and may have to take in for warranty. It looks like it may be hard to put in once it's in there but it was probably the easiest part of the job. I don't have a pic of the line running to the pipe as I did that later because feeding the power line and meth line thru the firewall had me perplexed at first. Once I figured it out, it only took me about 20 minutes and the line is ran through the inside of the car from the trunk thru the firewall and is all hidden.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post
Im not the expert here but i dont believe it will shorten your cars life as long as u take care of your car by doing your regular maintenance, making sure u warm up the car all that little stuff plus JB4 has a map that can detect if something is wrong with your car and it will switch back to stock by itself

I just installed it a couple weeks ago still tryna play with it.

whoa... it's self aware so i dont have to disconnect it when i take it in for service?!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanlucdckhard View Post
whoa... it's self aware so i dont have to disconnect it when i take it in for service?!

Yes you don't have to take it off. You can turn it off whenever you want i believe even when your driving. It wont void your warranty if you still have it

Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Yes you don't have to take it off. You can turn it off whenever you want i believe even when your driving. It wont void your warranty if you still have it

Simply having something in or on your car does not void any warranty. You could drop a nitrous oxide system under the hood and wheelie bars on the back and it does not void anything.
However, and this is crystal clear, if you have an issue and there is any way that the dealer can associate your problem with your modification...bang, the warranty is over in regard to that issue (only).
So...in regard to the OP...if the dealer is aware he has meth, and somewhere down the road he blows oil, burns a valve, or cracks a piston, or his turbos start to rattle...guess what value the warranty will have? Zippo.
Those who modify their cars need to man up and know that if they want to play, they gotta pay.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Simply having something in or on your car does not void any warranty. You could drop a nitrous oxide system under the hood and wheelie bars on the back and it does not void anything.
However, and this is crystal clear, if you have an issue and there is any way that the dealer can associate your problem with your modification...bang, the warranty is over in regard to that issue (only).
So...in regard to the OP...if the dealer is aware he has meth, and somewhere down the road he blows oil, burns a valve, or cracks a piston, or his turbos start to rattle...guess what value the warranty will have? Zippo.
Those who modify their cars need to man up and know that if they want to play, they gotta pay.

Yup, wisdom of experience: You play, you pay
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Oh i know that i was just saying jb4 wont void your warranty

My question is what is u put aftermarket exhaust to your car? Now thats something you cant hide to the dealership would that void your warranty right away?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:

My question is what is u put aftermarket exhaust to your car? Now thats something you cant hide to the dealership would that void your warranty right away?
The law (federal and state) is quite clear on this. The dealership would have to be able to prove that your modification resulted in the subsequent problem. They would then have grounds to deny your claim that a repair should be covered under the warranty.
For instance, let's say that you install nitrous oxide and on your third run that day at the dragstrip you throw a rod. Your engine is toast. Don't expect the warranty to cover the new engine. Let's also say that at the end of the day you noticed that your driver's seat seemed loose. If the dealer claims that was caused by excessive G-force that would seem unsupportable, but maybe not. Let's also say that your radio stopped working. Doesn't seem likely they can say you caused that to happen by adding nitrous.
The thing is, the dealer can deny your claim and say it's voided by your mod. You would have to take them to court where the burden of proof would be on them to show that your mod caused the problem. That's a heavy burden and if it gets that far they might find it cheaper to settle. Meanwhile you have substantial legal costs which the settlement may not cover. Is it worth it? Depends.

To answer your specific question (If) u put aftermarket exhaust to your car? Now thats something you cant hide to the dealership would that void your warranty right away? No, it voids absolutely NOTHING. If later you burned out the bearings in a turbo, could they claim that it was a result of your new exhaust? Yeah, they probably would. Are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars in legal fees, and wait maybe years, to make them prove it in court?

One other thing. When you bought your car did you read the fine print? Almost all contracts now read that any dispute MUST be settled through arbitration. Good luck with that.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 02-27-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Correctomundo. It is not right to trifle with the engineering and then expect the manufacturer to cover the damage probably resulting from your mod's.
Other than that, have fun!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The law (federal and state) is quite clear on this. The dealership would have to be able to prove that your modification resulted in the subsequent problem. They would then have grounds to deny your claim that a repair should be covered under the warranty.
For instance, let's say that you install nitrous oxide and on your third run that day at the dragstrip you throw a rod. Your engine is toast. Don't expect the warranty to cover the new engine. Let's also say that at the end of the day you noticed that your driver's seat seemed loose. If the dealer claims that was caused by excessive G-force that would seem unsupportable, but maybe not. Let's also say that your radio stopped working. Doesn't seem likely they can say you caused that to happen by adding nitrous.
The thing is, the dealer can deny your claim and say it's voided by your mod. You would have to take them to court where the burden of proof would be on them to show that your mod caused the problem. That's a heavy burden and if it gets that far they might find it cheaper to settle. Meanwhile you have substantial legal costs which the settlement may not cover. Is it worth it? Depends.

To answer your specific question (If) u put aftermarket exhaust to your car? Now thats something you cant hide to the dealership would that void your warranty right away? No, it voids absolutely NOTHING. If later you burned out the bearings in a turbo, could they claim that it was a result of your new exhaust? Yeah, they probably would. Are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars in legal fees, and wait maybe years, to make them prove it in court?

One other thing. When you bought your car did you read the fine print? Almost all contracts now read that any dispute MUST be settled through arbitration. Good luck with that.
ok thats what i thought..
Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Ohhhhhhhhhh those BMW boys.....an inventive lot, HERE is a workaround.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
this is so not what i thought it was from the title, nor did involve jp-5. really gotta start reading the whole thing , lol.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:

Meh. Only if the law of the state where the car was sold provides for arbitration of disputes. CA generally does not recognize contractual circumvention of its Business and Professions Code. There are some sections of the B&PC where arbitration of disputes is provided for. But all other (non-excepted) issues can not be compelled to arbitration by contract. This matter has gone up on appeal (published opinion) and the CA Supreme Court declined to hear the appeal from the Appeals Court decision.

Last edited by anE934fun; 02-28-2014 at 09:54 PM.