Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 AM
This space for rent

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Performance Mods Questions

I posted this as a response in another thread. But at the risk of hijacking that one, I decided to start a new thread.

Being a relative newbie to the BMW world, I have questions about these performance mods.

Does adding JB4 (or equivalent) and a tune shorten the lifespan of either the engine, the turbos, or both? What about other drivetrain components? I am curious about whether BMW conservatively tuned the engine at the moderate amount of boost a stock 335i provides and adding another 5 or so psi is something the car is easily capable of handling. I see lots of positive comments regarding the performance of mods, but little information on long term effects. I bought my car a few weeks ago (2007) with 64K on the clock and would like to see at least 100K without major issues. I understand that things break, but I don't want to exacerbate things unnecessarily.

Shakey
Old 02-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeydeal View Post
I posted this as a response in another thread. But at the risk of hijacking that one, I decided to start a new thread.

Being a relative newbie to the BMW world, I have questions about these performance mods.

Does adding JB4 (or equivalent) and a tune shorten the lifespan of either the engine, the turbos, or both? What about other drivetrain components? I am curious about whether BMW conservatively tuned the engine at the moderate amount of boost a stock 335i provides and adding another 5 or so psi is something the car is easily capable of handling. I see lots of positive comments regarding the performance of mods, but little information on long term effects. I bought my car a few weeks ago (2007) with 64K on the clock and would like to see at least 100K without major issues. I understand that things break, but I don't want to exacerbate things unnecessarily.

Shakey indeed....

The beginning of the end: simply driving the car off the lot. Engine wear progresses as fast as the engine is stressed, though engineering has greatly extended the life of components.

JB4 increases torque and horsepower, enabling high stress when asked, and provides rewarding high rpm performance, unlike stock programming.

Answer: Yup, JB4 decreases time to repair.

Answer: JB4 is very reliable and though it shortens engine life, there is no data quantifying that, as well maintained JB4 engines have yet to fail.

Answer: We disqualify raced engines, all bets off on the track. However, failures directly attributed to JB4 as none I know of. Failure runs from gummed up everything to thrown rods, but we know where those come from.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Steve Dinan's answer to your question (see paragraph 2 in #1 post) :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=steve+dinan
Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 AM
This space for rent

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Thanks for the reponses. I will probably start out with baby steps. I would like to do catless downpipes and exhaust first. Tuning later. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Shakey
Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Neither of those mods should adversely affect engine or drivetrain longevity. But there is a reason for that, they don't do much in the way of increasing performance either.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. These engines already have carbon buildup issues, I would suspect performance mods will increase the rate at which this accumulates as well.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch