Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
12 ECU flipped out

So this past Saturday, I was driving home. Got off the highway, applied the brakes, noticed the pedal was a little stiffer than normal. Stopped at the light continued on my way home ( about 1 mile off the highway.

I started to slow down and applied the brakes about 1000 feet before the driveway ( doing about 30-34 mph) to pull into my complex, and every single warning light cam on, ABS, SRS, 4x4, Brake ( flashed red and yellow), highlight failures, tail light failures, check engine light, everything. HVAC shut down, drive shut down. Mind you this is the 2nd time in 16 mths this thing has freaked out like this. I then applied the brakes harder to stop, peddle was rock hard, and wouldn't move. I put both feet on the peddle and couldn't move it. I had to put the X5 into a snow bank.

Now Allstate is sending out a team to investigate my x5. No major damage to the x5 other than the plastic under-side protection shields got ripped off , and probably needs an alinement now too.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows there is a problem. There is 2 other X5 35d owners in the NH/MA area that are having the same issues as me from my understanding with the dealer. The dealer is now trying to get me to have the car brought to them, but Allstate told the auto body place to hold it there. My guess is, its that my normal dealer notified BMW, and BMW wants to pull the logs before Allstate does.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased, I've had 4-EGR valve/cooler box leaks, now 2-ECU major issues, 3 Cameras and cables replaced for not working, iDrive crashing , and alinement issues with this rig. Impressed with the engine & like the way it drives, but for the $68K it's quickly becoming not worth it. Oh and the 20-way " comfort seats" are NOT comfortable after 90 minutes of driving. My Local dealer has treated me very well, zero complaints with them.

For as many as these so called " ultimate driving machines", their warrantees should be 10/100K bump to bump for as high maintenance and problematic as they are.

Last edited by EcobeemerNH; 02-18-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW: 525it, M3, 323i
Apply for lemon law ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Well it's in Allstate's hands right now. They are claiming if they find faults in it they will go after BMW for me, and probably use my " platinum coverage" policy and write me a check for a replacement. I already told them if they do that , I do NOT want another BMW X5. After today's 4-7" snow storm, I'm going to go look at the new 14 Jeep GC summit diesel before I go back to BMW after this . I've been doing some on-line research already on the jeep, not as big backseat area, but 90% of the time I'm alone. But the GC gets more MPG, I'll miss the Heads-up display though, and hopefully the seats are more comfortable too.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcobeemerNH View Post
Well it's in Allstate's hands right now. They are claiming if they find faults in it they will go after BMW for me, and probably use my " platinum coverage" policy and write me a check for a replacement.
Say what?

This should be interesting. I will be shocked it allstate gets involved beyond "bmw will pay for the accident". I am sure you were pretty wound up and they likely told you what you wanted to hear. Do you really think Allstate will sue BMW on your behalf for a (really hard to prove) product defect?? and not just let BMW take another swing at it??

Good luck-
Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 PM

Don't assume, I wasn't wound up when I spoke to them the next day. Upset yes, not wound up.

They claim went from regular claims department to what I was told " our new catastrophic vehicle failure " department. Which I was told by another person after the 4th phone transfer, and then 3 phone calls yesterday that this department does go after car manufactures for defective or possible design flaws equipment.

Just going by what I was told and took names, titles, and phone numbers from.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, then keep us posted.

If BMW cannot find the defect, how will Allstate?

My guess is that you have a bus communication issue that is crashing the ECU in unique and sporadic ways... not a 'hard fault' but something that crops up over time. Without access to the software and communications history, it will be an interesting process. One thought, however- Allstate will likely be able to access your "black box' or event data recorder (EDR). THis may tell them enough about what happened to press a claim with BMW: ie car was operating fine, speed was 28 mph, brake input, turn input...then engine shutdown, end of recording with no further inputs.

So perhaps allstate will nbot find the issue, but simply infer a defect exists based on the EDR.

Color me interested....

Oh, I had a 2010 that was lemoned. 60+ days in the shop. Lemnoned it. Have a 2012. 0 days in the shop, 33k miles.... Enjoy the jeep!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 AM

Yeah, not sure what is going to happen at this point in time, What I do know is that I don't trust this vehicle at all. I've had the following problems with it, for the record I'm very meticulous about my vehicles being serviced on-time due to the amount of driving I do yearly. I'm usually good for 65-70K miles a year. ( IT Sales Mgr, with 14 direct reports all over new england & nyc metro area)

2012 X5 35d, 47,300 miles on it currently

2-fuel rail sensors
3-EGR valves
2-Cooler boxes
both front wheel bearings
now 2 ECU failures
2-iDrive software updates
1-iDrive module
3 rear cameras, and 3 cables
both mirror cameras and cables replaced
Driver door wouldn't close/latch ( towed in)
All recalls done on-time ( service advisor called me every time there was something new, because the amount of issues i've had with it so far)
Rattles in the rear hatch upper and lower door
All services done on-time or early
had 20" rims on the rig when I got it, at 5500 miles all 4 tires were wearing unevenly, insides were down to the steel belts. After many return trips , BMW decided to replaced the 20" with 19" , and 4 new tires, no problems since.
" Low engine oil" warnings, which were false by physically checking the dip stick, 1 sensor replaced then failed before it left the shop, 2nd sensor ordered and replaced , no problems since.
EGR bracket (recall )
Rear brakes squeaking, found both rear brake pads had cracked and missing material. complete rear brake job done at 22,000
Extension housing , bolts, collar nuts, supporting bracket replaced due to fronted vibration
iDrive reads text messages when and if it wants too, sometimes doesn't sync to the phone at all ( not good when driving in NYC area and when I'm using 4500+ mins a month on the phone)

Not sure what else to do with this BMW. I had a 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged that I traded in for this BMW with 274,000 miles ( yes i know let the rover jokes start, but this one was unusually very very VERY reliable) , and it never had this many recalls, ECU problems, or major issues. I had 1 issue with bad replacement rotors that warped within 1000 miles, NAV system not having many roads in it ( NavTech system) . I got rid of it 4/2012 for this BMW figured it was about time to go from 12mpg to 25+ with all the fuel prices going up. The master Tech at the NH Rover dealer actually went and bought my old rover from the BMW dealer and his wife has been driving it since and says it's still a beast and very reliable and just recently replaced all the suspension air bladders because 2 were leaking and causing faults.

So my other choices are
14 VW over-priced touareg ( Diesel)
14 Audi Q7 (Diesel)
14 Jeep GC Summit (Diesel)
Another BMW X5 35d diesel with less power for 2014 ( not really sure I'd be up for another one )
14 MB ML350 blue-tec ( highly dislike the infotainment system in MBs)

Last edited by EcobeemerNH; 02-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Well it's in Allstate's hands right now. They are claiming if they find faults in it they will go after BMW for me, and probably use my " platinum coverage" policy and write me a check for a replacement. I already told them if they do that , I do NOT want another BMW X5. After today's 4-7" snow storm, I'm going to go look at the new 14 Jeep GC summit diesel before I go back to BMW after this . I've been doing some on-line research already on the jeep, not as big backseat area, but 90% of the time I'm alone. But the GC gets more MPG, I'll miss the Heads-up display though, and hopefully the seats are more comfortable too.
The Jeep GC would be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire. You might want something more reliable than your X5, not less.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Well, I have 2 employes that have 13 GC Limited and overlander, the Limited has had a few issues, Overlander is a V8 and only had oil changes, front brakes , and a passenger window motor so far. is what I was told. Nothing like I've had with my BMW. Not making any choices right now, but the research has started. If they take my BMW from me or not. I'm not keeping the BMW. It's gone if I get it back, I do know that much.

This weekend I intend of going to all the diesel brands and trying them all out, and pricing them all . Way my options vs millage I do vs cost per mile , features, etc. I like the look of the Audi Q7 and always loved the MMI in my S5 ( best system on the market), but it's almost as expensive as a Porsche Cayenne diesel loaded.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Its funny, but ive been an executive officer of a public company in the past...currently an officer at a private venture...yet I find it odd to refer to 'employees'...especially when the use of the term is unrelated to the conversation at hand.

Yet youve felt the need to highlight that in two posts. One I was going to ignore.

Self important much?

Enjoy you new ride. A baller like you should jsut have the company lease whatever you want...why you worried about cost, pricing or mileage?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Well, I have 2 employes that have 13 GC Limited and overlander, the Limited has had a few issues, Overlander is a V8 and only had oil changes, front brakes , and a passenger window motor so far. is what I was told. Nothing like I've had with my BMW. Not making any choices right now, but the research has started. If they take my BMW from me or not. I'm not keeping the BMW. It's gone if I get it back, I do know that much.

This weekend I intend of going to all the diesel brands and trying them all out, and pricing them all . Way my options vs millage I do vs cost per mile , features, etc. I like the look of the Audi Q7 and always loved the MMI in my S5 ( best system on the market), but it's almost as expensive as a Porsche Cayenne diesel loaded.
You should check out the Jeep forums. The reliability of the 2014s has been terrible. Instrument panels failing, transmissions not shifting into park or not staying in park, misaligned tailgates, Nav/Infotainment systems failing, air suspension failing.The list is endless. Some parts of the interior look really cheap too.

If I was looking for a new diesel SUV, I would buy the Toureg. More fun to drive than either the new 2014 X5 or the Jeep. Much cheaper than the Cayenne diesel loaded and its basically the same car.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Well heard from Allstate & my local BMW dealer

The Allstate rep says the ECU was "non-responsive" to a connection and It won't start up. The " black box" shows brake, abs, srs, 4x4, stability control headlight failure at 32 mph, with wheels going straight with right signal light on. ( DUH I said i was 1200-1600 feet from turning right into my condo complex)

They had it towed to the BMW dealer, did a battery reset, was able to connect to the ECU and showed all the faults and still won't start. BMW service manager and he said he's requested the local BMW factory rep to inspect the car now, because the ECU won't respond to inputs, can only read the logs, they saved the logs and printed the configuration, error logs, and black box logs out, tried to reset the ECU and it says it's resetting and erasing logs, but when it reboots it's back to the same status of multiple faults and won't start. The ECU is at the latest version of software, along with all the rest of the modules in it.

This should be interesting.....
Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I don't think this is a simple ECU failure. It may be other electrical connection or environment factor that cause ECU to fail. If they can't give you a good explanation why ECU failed, I would dump the x5.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 PM

absolutely, agreed.

I went to the dealer to grab my garage door opener from my X5 and a few other things. While I was there I looked at the 14 X5 diesel. I have to say it looks like a bloated 5 series, it's fugly ! What is up with the after thought iDrive screen? looks like someone forgot to design a screen into the new dash, and stuck a tablet on the dash and said " OK we're good now" and walked away. So disappointed in BMW.

Tomorrow is Audi & Porsche dealer i guess.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
I hope BMW doesn't try to "fix" your X5 and give it back to you. You will never feel comfortable/safe driving that vehicle, or probably any X5.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Why did you have a garage door opener?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I don't think this is a simple ECU failure. It may be other electrical connection or environment factor that cause ECU to fail. If they can't give you a good explanation why ECU failed, I would dump the x5.

I think that may be an overreaction. My DME failed 3 months into ownership due to water damage (they claimed a cracked DME casing). BMW replaced the computer and three years later there have been no other major problems. I have had one more warranty visit to fix a loose cable for the reversing camera. Aside from that it's been routine maintaince.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
I think that may be an overreaction. My DME failed 3 months into ownership due to water damage (they claimed a cracked DME casing). BMW replaced the computer and three years later there have been no other major problems. I have had one more warranty visit to fix a loose cable for the reversing camera. Aside from that it's been routine maintaince.

A cracked casing is a reasonable cause for failure. The problem is that this is the second failure. It needs to be much more than ECU broke so BMW replaced it and x5 worked. ECU is very critical equipment. I am confident BMW had invested a lot of engineering to ensure ECU do not die that easily.

If as original poster stated that this is not the only case, it may esculate to recall if this was due to some defects that is common.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 AM

BenF--- No I don't and won't trust it, if they give it back to me it's got 1 foot out the door already. #2 Because my condo has a garage door... Need the remote to open it from the rental car.

adgrant & Henry--- No idea of the game plan yet... I'm in a holding pattern waiting to hear Either way I can't trust this BMW. Like I told the service manager and the BMW rep ( was on speaker phone) yesterday " Sadly the most unreliable SUV on the market " my 2009 Range Rover was less problematic than this BMW. " The service manager looked at me with a blank stare and the BMW rep literally said " interesting " .

I put huge amount of miles on my personal cars for work travel yearly. I have a personal rule that anything NYC north including Montreal , and Maine I will drive. I can spend less time driving than flying in New England, not including parking time, getting checked in, bags, or delays because of whatever. I also rent cars to help with miles. My company use too pay 55+ cents a mile, then went to a car allowance , now they say " anything over 250 miles round trip , rent a car and expense it" . But in NYC, Boston, or anywhere in CT I'd rather be in a SUV due to being able to see over people, be able to go anywhere in any weather, and the safety factor of the moron drivers in those states/areas.

I've contacted the Land Rover Factory rep I know and he responded this morning. The 2015 full size Range Rover hybrid diesel is going to hit the states for 2015, BUT it's $129,000 !!! OUCHHHHHH I can't justify that expense with putting all the miles that I do on a vehicle. It is getting 44+ mph in Europe but it will be a first year for that model , with any new model on any brand.... never buy the first year.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM

** Update** , BMW has looked at my problematic oil burner. They master tech from NJ can't see anything, and has sent the logs, codes, and blackbox info to Germany. So I'm in a holding pattern once again.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Well after many discussions, and BMW shipping my truck to NJ and back a few times. Many many parts thrown at it, and months of talks, 4 dealer loaners. They wrote me a check for my 12 E70 35d. So long BMW....This was my 2nd X5 with a boat load of problems. I'm done , done done. Never again.