Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 & 2011 X3
Rear led lights

We have a 2011 X3 with 73000 miles. About a month ago, we noticed that the rear left lights (not the brake lights) were not working. We brought the car in and the service department changed a single bulb... we were told it was fixed. We took their word for it and drove home. Later in the evening, we learned that the rear left lights were not working. We brought the X3 back in. This time, the service department said that an LED strip needed to be replaced, cost for part alone was $576... labor probably another $75.

So, about $650 just to have our left rear lights back.

We were told that there is no recall, and we are outside the 50K mile warranty.

We tried more than once to get the dealer to cover part or some of the cost... no dice.

The local German (BMW, Porsche, Audi) mechanics explained that they get their parts from the BMW dealership, so there is no $ savings there.

Does anyone else have any experience with these rear LED light strips or an idea how to replace or repair without shelling out $650?

Thanks...
Ads by Google
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
The LED strips themselves are not replaceable, the entire taillamp assembly is to be replaced. That's why its so pricey.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 & 2011 X3
Thanks azNM
Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I'm confused.

Which bulb did they replace the first time?

Were the LEDs not working the first time you brought it in?

Are all the taillights on a 2011 LEDs and then the brake lights are standard?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
I'm confused.

Which bulb did they replace the first time?

Were the LEDs not working the first time you brought it in?

Are all the taillights on a 2011 LEDs and then the brake lights are standard?

I suspect they replaced the force brake/rear fog bulb behind the led panel. I pulled up the real oem diagram and it is the same design as the 07-10 x3.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=63&fg=20

Sorry to hear the led tail led assembly failed on you. IMHO it shouldn't have and depending on your milage and history with the dealer, goodwill would have sounded likely. I know for the post lci e83 this type of failure is rare. I'm sure it's happened but I can't remember the last post about it on this board.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Did the OP confirm that it was the LED strip that was out before bringing it to the dealer the first time?

Seems odd that both a brake/force bulb and the LED strip on the same side would go bad at the same time.

I wonder did the mechanic disconnect something accidentally when he was replacing the first bulb, or if there is some mechanical damage to the wiring?

Is it the strip in the rear fender, or the strip in the rear hatch, and is it in the same assembly as the bulb they say they replaced.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 PM
BMW FTW!

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Any mechanic that gets their parts from the dealership get a discount. If you know someone who owns a shop you can have them purchase the part for you, then you can take it to a mechanic. You shouldn't be saving a lot though. I replaced a transponder key for my X3 a few months ago and the dealership was charging me $250, luckily my mechanic was nice enough to "purchase" the key for me. ended up only costing $130. so that's a way mechanics get rich lol.

Now as for your brake light, LEDs cannot be replaced. You will have to get a new assembly. Supposedly LEDs should last longer than the car, but sometimes there are defects.

As DamgermouseX3 said, check the wires/connectors. Sometimes dealerships will unplug the light on purpose so they can get some extra money off of you. If you don't feel confident removing the housing and checking, have a trusted mechanic take a look.