Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
better then 3 series?

I`m currently selling my 2006 330 xi due to the fact I just had a daughter and I need more space and would like better clearance for snow during the winter (i got snowed in a couple of times, cost me a lot of $$$). So I`ve been looking at the BMW x3, the reviews have been great but I`m looking for a honest opinion from people who own them. Is the oil separator still a issue? what are the most common problems with this vehicle that I should be aware off before i purchase (looking at a 2010 bmw x3 with low kms)
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkaveli84 View Post
I`m currently selling my 2006 330 xi due to the fact I just had a daughter and I need more space and would like better clearance for snow during the winter (i got snowed in a couple of times, cost me a lot of $$$). So I`ve been looking at the BMW x3, the reviews have been great but I`m looking for a honest opinion from people who own them. Is the oil separator still a issue? what are the most common problems with this vehicle that I should be aware off before i purchase (looking at a 2010 bmw x3 with low kms)
We had a 2006 330i (e90) before getting our 2008 X3. I think our X3 with 18" wheels rides and handles very similar to how the e90 with 17" run flats handled. But, you definetely sit higher and there is a top heaviness to it compared to the 3. You do feel the road with the X3 suspension. It is not a soft ride.

I think the passenger space is similar to that of the 3-series. I would not say that it has a large cargo area, but you can pile things higher than you could in an e90's trunk.

Please keep in mind that the e83 X3 is based upon the 2001-2005 3-series. The X3 technology will seem dated compared to your current car. Any issues that arise with the e46 3-series may also be encountered in the X3.

As far as issues with the X3, take a look through the stickies on this forum.
- automatic transmission shifting issues in LCI (primarily 2007, but not limited to)
- water in interior (door vapor barriers, sun roof drains, frozen window washer fluid line)
- sunroof gets stuck
- window regulator drive dog
- coolant reservoir cracks (with age and mileage)

Other than the tranny, these are not really major issues.

I like my 2008. It has been reliable for 91,000 miles so far. It drives like a BMW and I have ground clearance to deal with snow and unpaved roads. I can also haul modestly sized items from the Home Depot.

But, I do think it is on the small side and will be looking at an X5 the next time around.

If you are not stuck on BMW's, you could probably get a newer SUV with a warranty for nearly the same amount as the 2010 X3.

Good luck

BMW CCA #422951

Last edited by al_macaroni; 02-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Be aware that for the last year of the E83 BMW Canada did some juggling of options which made their models different from the U.S.-market ones.

Other than the 2.8i model which you may not be looking at anyway, they took away what were standard xenons in all Canadian models including the 3.0.

See: http://www.auto123.com/en/news/bmw-g...i?artid=109652

Not sure how many Executive trim models there are on the used market, but that does have xenons.

Only mention this because many new owners of a used E83 often come on this board and inquire about upgrading to xenons.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the oil separator on a 2010 model unless those low kms. were all in-town usage.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
I believe they would be in city kms. I read somewhere that in 2010 BMW solved the oil separator issue, can anyone confirm that? the X3 I'm looking at is loaded with a extended warranty and has the xenon lights. It's not bad at 26k and if I bought new anything that could compare or almost compare I'd be paying around 40k. The version I'm looking at is i30

Last edited by Makkaveli84; 02-19-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
While I'm not in Canada, I am in snow country USA (though many might argue that SW Idaho doesn't get that much snow). I have a '07 that does not have the trany issue and I like the way it drives in the snow. My comparison is of a e39 and e36/37 MRoadster. I find it just fine and passengers I've had in the back seats haven't had that much of an issue with leg room. My father-in-law is 84 and at 6'1" he is fine with it.

I happen to enjoy that it drives well, though it clearly isn't my M. It does drive better than the e39 sport pack in snow, both because of the clearance and the xdrive functionality.

Enjoy the transition if you continue with it.

GH
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
I would spend a little bit more and go for the 2011 facelift. You'll have much better chances of finding one under certified pre owned than a 2010, plus its technology is ALOT more modern. Can't go wrong either way though!!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkaveli84 View Post
2010 with low km's should be fine. I agree with al_macaroni though it is not a soft ride and you can definitely feel the road. Not quite sure about the CCV issue being solved on the '10's but with the extended warranty you should be covered?

I'm also located in Calgary.