Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: Hyundai genesis
anything missing? 550 order

I have ordered a 550i for ED on June 12th. It will have the following
space gray/ black
Msport
Driver assistance plus ACC Stop and Go /active driving
Executive Package
Luxury seating
Heated Seats
Power rear sunshade
Parking Assitance

I don't care for the LED lights
I gave been told it will have performance tires and not all season.

Any little known item I should ask for or ensure is there.
Thanks

steve
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550
Congrats! It's almost exactly the same as mine including color choices. The only difference is that I went for the cold weather pack and skipped parking assist. The only regret I have is that I didn't push for the 4 zone climate. It's not officially available in the US, but others have been able to order it.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: f10 550i
Does it come with fold down seats?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
Does it come with fold down seats?
Yes, that's standard equipment for MY2014 F10's in the US.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: Escalade
Are ceramics part of the exec pkg?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec32 View Post
space gray/ black
Msport
Executive Package
Luxury seating
Heated Seats
Power rear sunshade
Parking Assitance

Thanks

steve
Hey Steve. We are planning an ED for my wife's 2014 535i in June as well (probably after 20th) but I still have to nail down a few bits and pieces. As regards your order - as is, I think it is amazing and is about 90% of what I would get if I would be ordering a 550i. For the other 10%, I would make a few changes:

#1. I would remove the rear sunshade since the side ones are manual and with kids, it becomes a play object. Instead, if I don't like the standard window tinting, I would get those done upon taking delivery.

#2. I would surely delete 3DZ under the M Sport Line. 3DZ stands for "Without Lines Designation Outside". If I delete this, the car will come with the M logo in the back and both the sides. I don't like bling myself but the M is kinda cool for me. Plus, this would make my car even more unique. Most folks who order the M Sport Line don't know about this otherwise I guess more folks would go this route.

#3. By default with the M Sport Line, the 351M wheels come equipped with RFT performance tires. But this can be changed in the order so that the car comes with 351M wheels along with RFT all season tires. I live in the bay area of California but this option would give me more confidence when I take my car to some snow trips. IMO, this may reduce the fun factor in summer months by a few degrees though. Maybe some tire experts can chime in here.

#4. I would also remove Parking Assistance. I have this in my 640i Gran Coupe and is a useless option for me. I do a lot of parallel parking in San Francisco and some other neighboring city downtowns but this option seems to be too slow. I am good at parallel parking and am able to park myself very quickly so no need for this for me.

#5. I would definitely order the LED lighting. The lighting in the night is very bright comparatively. Apart from this, when approaching any car from behind, this looks awesome (other LED equipped bimmers approach me from behind as well and I love the way it kinda commands attention). In general, nowadays when I see cars without LED lighting, they appear to me to be an older generation version (even though they may be the most recent model).

#6. I would also order performance black kidney grills. This is a $185 installed MSRP option and they do this install at the port in the US. If leasing, I would only pay a portion of this. This looks very good and goes very well with the shadow line trim.

#7. Getting the Driver Assistance Package and the ACC Stop and Go ($3100 MSRP option) would be last on my list after I get all of the above. In all probability, I would not go for this option. Instead, I would add Side and Top View Camera as an individual option.

#8. I would get B&O audio if I have some extra money.

#9. Color wise, I would get Carbon Black with Black Dakota with Al Hex Trim. My wife though would probably get the exact same color combo you have. I know this is personal and you can't really go wrong with any combo here.

Without the #8, my build would cost slightly less than yours.

Last edited by shogunman; 02-19-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 PM

Thanks Shogunman

great thoughts

!. I have grown kids that are on there own so no issue. And it gets hot here. So sunshades are good

2. I will look into this.

3. Im in so cal less then one inch of rain in the last 6 months. there is only one season. Performance..... No need of all season tires

4 & 5. You may have swayed me on this

7. I have stop and go cruise on a genesis and can not live without it I barely put down the newspaper in the morning on the commute to work. Live with this option and you will understand.

9. B&O is a great name I have a 20 year old system of theirs but thats a lot of coin for a 55 year olds ears.

Thanks for your thoughtful response

Steve
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 300C
Quote:
space gray/ black
Msport
Executive Package
Luxury seating
Heated Seats
Power rear sunshade
Parking Assitance

Thanks

steve
Great color combo.
What is your itinerary for your ED? We did last June and had a blast. Enjoy.

2013 550i M-Sport
ED pickup 6.25.2013
ED drop off-Munich 7.8.2013
Pick up at dealer 8.24.2013
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Dump parking assist. Keep ACC.

Add top view camera and LED lights.

How about a rear wood parcel shelf like you can get on the 7's. That is a must have.

Sent from your mom's iPhone

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
anything missing? 550 order

Park Assist never worked too well for me - I'd skip them.

Also, you can skip Luxury Seating package and just get Multi-contour seats (the only worthy option in the package) to save some cash.

ACC is great (I just wrote a post about how good it is in stop-and-go traffic).

You might consider extended leather and ceramic controls to add a luxurious touch to the interior.

Otherwise, great build! F10s look sexy in Space Grey.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by neilsarkar; 02-19-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: BART
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunman View Post
#3. By default with the M Sport Line, the 351M wheels come equipped with RFT performance tires. But this can be changed in the order so that the car comes with 351M wheels along with RFT all season tires. I live in the bay area of California but this option would give me more confidence when I take my car to some snow trips. IMO, this may reduce the fun factor in summer months by a few degrees though. Maybe some tire experts can chime in here.
Just so you know, opting for All-season tires also gives you:

1. Non-staggered tires i.e. front and rear tires are same width
2. Removal of Increased Top Speed Limiter

Also Summer tires work very well in 3 seasons including rain (assuming you have sufficient tread on the tire), so an all-season is unnecessary in bay area. For few snow trips (lake Tahoe?) you can just get snow chains.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Shogunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
Just so you know, opting for All-season tires also gives you:

1. Non-staggered tires i.e. front and rear tires are same width
2. Removal of Increased Top Speed Limiter

Also Summer tires work very well in 3 seasons including rain (assuming you have sufficient tread on the tire), so an all-season is unnecessary in bay area. For few snow trips (lake Tahoe?) you can just get snow chains.
Thanks for sharing this info. In my wife's 535i build that we will soon be finalizing, I will go with performance tires. I did not know that we lose the staggered setup. Yes, Tahoe, Yosemite and Bear Valley are the three we go to every winter and snow chains is what we will opt for. Thanks again.

Are you in the bay area as well? Tell me about your ride.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this info. In my wife's 535i build that we will soon be finalizing, I will go with performance tires. I did not know that we lose the staggered setup. Yes, Tahoe, Yosemite and Bear Valley are the three we go to every winter and snow chains is what we will opt for. Thanks again.

Are you in the bay area as well? Tell me about your ride.

535i M-Sport, Space Gray/Black, Alum Hex trim, DAP, DAP+, HK Sound, Multi-contour seats, Sport AT
Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Shogunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsarkar View Post
Park Assist never worked too well for me - I'd skip them.

Also, you can skip Luxury Seating package and just get Multi-contour seats (the only worthy option in the package) to save some cash.

ACC is great (I just wrote a post about how good it is in stop-and-go traffic).

You might consider extended leather and ceramic controls to add a luxurious touch to the interior.

Otherwise, great build! F10s look sexy in Space Grey.

The ceramic controls are part of Executive Package in the 550i. The EP is a very good value as a whole.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Shogunman

Quote:
535i M-Sport, Space Gray/Black, Alum Hex trim, DAP, DAP+, HK Sound, Multi-contour seats, Sport AT
Nice. I love the SAT. You do have a pretty loaded car.

How does the Al Hex trim go on black? We want this and some opinions may help validate. If you can, please take some pix in daylight and post.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Nice. I love the SAT. You do have a pretty loaded car.

How does the Al Hex trim go on black? We want this but some opinions may help. If you can, please take some pix in daylight.

Best to check it out at Stevens Creek BMW, just park your car outside and take a look at the parked cars, maybe ask one of the guys standing outside to bring in the keys so you can look at the interior.

My opinion is that:
1. It's more sporty than luxury looking
2. I like that it has more of a matte finish, so won't reflect sun into your eyes.
3. Girls/Women generally do Not like it
4. It looks much better in person than in pics
5. If I could I'd have the center console in black (like M5) rather than alum hex - it just doesn't look great.
6. IMO, It's the best trim for black interior, because in a Black F10 M-sport headliner is black as well and a dark wood trim make the whole interior dull. Alum trim brightens it up a bit and makes the interior look spacious.

If you're getting a car for your wife, then go with Dark wood. I'm 99% sure she wouldn't like the alum hex trim.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Shogunman

Quote:
Best to check it out at Stevens Creek BMW, just park your car outside and take a look at the parked cars, maybe ask one of the guys standing outside to bring in the keys so you can look at the interior.

My opinion is that:
1. It's more sporty than luxury looking
2. I like that it has more of a matte finish, so won't reflect sun into your eyes.
3. Girls/Women generally do Not like it
4. It looks much better in person than in pics
5. If I could I'd have the center console in black (like M5) rather than alum hex - it just doesn't look great.
6. IMO, It's the best trim for black interior, because in a Black F10 M-sport headliner is black as well and a dark wood trim make the whole interior dull. Alum trim brightens it up a bit and makes the interior look spacious.

If you're getting a car for your wife, then go with Dark wood. I'm 99% sure she wouldn't like the alum hex trim.
That is a good idea. I will take her to SCBMW to show this in person. I also need to sway her to get Carbon Black instead of Space Gray. SG is good but I like CB in F10 a lot and I think she will like it too since her main reason for getting the SG would be that it does not show dirt. BTW, she currently has a Silver 2011 528i. Her past 2 cars have been silver as well. She wanted to go with silver again but I have somehow convinced to her go a different color at least if she is going for another 5er.

Last edited by shogunman; 02-20-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
That is a good idea. I will take her to SCBMW to show this in person. I also need to sway her to get Carbon Black instead of Space Grey. She currently has a Silver 2011 528i. Her past 2 cars have been silver as well. She wanted to go with silver again but I have somehow convinced to her go a different color at least if she is going for another 5er.

Space gray is a fav color of women...good luck getting her to get Carbon Black

Btw, there is a Carbon Black M-Sport with alum hex trim and LED headlights. It looks absolutely gorgeous in-person! check it out at Stevens creek:

http://www.stevenscreekbmw.com/new/B...82cbb14acb.htm
Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Shogunman

Quote:
Space gray is a fav color of women...good luck getting her to get Carbon Black

Btw, there is a Carbon Black M-Sport with alum hex trim and LED headlights. It looks absolutely gorgeous in-person! check it out at Stevens creek:

http://www.stevenscreekbmw.com/new/B...82cbb14acb.htm
Dude you are awesome! Thank you! Will take DW here asap. Will update on how it goes.

Someone in my family has some metallic shade of Black in a 2011 750i which DW likes when it is clean but that person keeps his car dirty all the time which is a turn off for my wife. I have promised her that I will get her car washed every 2 weeks so she does not need to worry about it. Based on my promise, DW has agreed to check out Carbon black in an LCI F10. Fingers crossed!

My plan is to make an afternoon out of it....light lunch, SCBMW, Macys Women at Valley Fair mall (I am sure DW will have a "need" to buy something here) and happy hour with some friends at Santana Row.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix
The LED lighting is a must...It really does make the car...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Well this thread cost me a couple of bucks but I ditched the parking assistant. And added the LED lighting after I saw the video on you tube about the lights and everyones strong opinions . Thanks for your thoughts. The collective wisdom was used.

I appreciate all the expertise.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535i and '14 x5 35
Quote:
Well this thread cost me a couple of bucks but I ditched the parking assistant. And added the LED lighting after I saw the video on you tube about the lights and everyones strong opinions . Thanks for your thoughts. The collective wisdom was used.

I appreciate all the expertise.
Excellent job on the LED lights. I almost did without these and I would have been sorry for the next 4 years had I not. I am not happy about the price for these.

B&O is a waste of money IMO.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Don't let the YouTube video of the adaptive LED lights, where they split and dim for oncoming cars, be what swayed you to get them - US-bound cars don't get that feature!

2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto Transmission, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Harmon/Kardon stereo. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position non-runflats, Painted reflectors, M5 grille.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Don't let the YouTube video of the adaptive LED lights, where they split and dim for oncoming cars, be what swayed you to get them - US-bound cars don't get that feature!
Actually, some members had coding done and it works
Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Actually, some members had coding done and it works

Cool. Didn't know it could be enabled.

2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto Transmission, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Harmon/Kardon stereo. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position non-runflats, Painted reflectors, M5 grille.