Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 750Li
My 2013 750li needs engine replaced at 6,000 miles

Apparently I'm not the only one. Something to do with the oil system in certain VIN numbers. They have to replace the entire engine on my lease I've has for 4 months. Anyone else heard of this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
So the new engine has some crap as well. Unbelievable...

Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
My 2013 750li needs engine replaced at 6,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by astockglausner View Post
Apparently I'm not the only one. Something to do with the oil system in certain VIN numbers. They have to replace the entire engine on my lease I've has for 4 months. Anyone else heard of this?

Sorry to hear that. Tell them you want the s63tu or your money back.

Sent from your mom's iPhone

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM

I just called BMW today. I don't want the car anymore, I want a new one for the same money. I love the car...although the new body style looks too much like a 5 series in my opinion. I don't want a 3 month old car with a brand new engine, CA Lemon Law should cover that on nearly $100k car.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
e66

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
never happening
Quote:
I just called BMW today. I don't want the car anymore, I want a new one for the same money. I love the car...although the new body style looks too much like a 5 series in my opinion. I don't want a 3 month old car with a brand new engine, CA Lemon Law should cover that on nearly $100k car.
that lease you signed is pretty clear, they fix, you drive.. over... and it cant be 3 months old and youve had it four months as stated in the op. you basically have no recourse https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon At least they are fixing it, and youll still have a sweet ass car with a brand spakin new engine.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Champagne problems I guess I'll wait and hear back from them to see what they say. I figured getting a new car might be a long shot but I do feel I shouldn't have been sold the car when BMW was aware of the problem with a certain range of VIN numbers. Either way, I want to be back in a 750 soon.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 PM
e66

it probably went down in the reverse order, i doubt they sold you a bad car knowingly. sounds more like they found out a certain production run has issues and are fixing it.... warranties.. awesomeness.. did the give you a loaner
Old 02-19-2014, 05:03 PM

I don't think the dealer sold me a bad car knowingly. I like to give companies the benefit of the doubt that they don't try to screw customers. However, if they knew that certain vin numbers had these problems they should have put the information out to the dealers. I could understand if I got it at the beginning of the year, but I bought literally the last 2013 on the lot and got a smoking deal on it. Like I said, its a pretty good problem to have I guess in the grand scheme of things when you think about it. Yes, they put me in a 5 series loaner for now and they are looking for something bigger.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Quote:
Champagne problems I guess I'll wait and hear back from them to see what they say. I figured getting a new car might be a long shot but I do feel I shouldn't have been sold the car when BMW was aware of the problem with a certain range of VIN numbers. Either way, I want to be back in a 750 soon.
Please elaborate on the specifics regarding the VIN #. What VIN #'s are alledged to be defective?

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg|760 Exhaust Tips|Painted Calipers

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired

Last edited by ImolaMMM; 02-19-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740Li
Quote:

What did I miss? Did your current engine break down or are they being proactive and replacing your engine due to an alert from BMW?? I looked at your previous posts and dont see where you say you had a problem. If they are being proactive then thats one hell of a recall!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Ah ****. I've had my 2013 lease for just about as long as you. If they think I'm going to drive around in a 328 or an X1 for a month while they swap my engine they can either suck a D ore refund one of my lease payments. Already been seeing some hesitation during idle at <3k miles.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 02-20-2014, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Unbelievable that BMW can't produce a proper, reliable V8 engine.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.w.crater View Post
never happening

that lease you signed is pretty clear, they fix, you drive.. over... and it cant be 3 months old and youve had it four months as stated in the op. you basically have no recourse https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon At least they are fixing it, and youll still have a sweet ass car with a brand spakin new engine.
Wrong, CA has the strongest lemon laws in the country. Many different items can make it a lemon. I think the one that you will be golden on is if BMW has your car for more than 4 weeks straight, it can be lemoned. Call this guy, has helped me and 2 of my friends get out out an M6 and a 3 series. Neither of them 100% qualified for the lemon law, but he got it done anyways. I would call now, it's free, you probably won't even have to wait the 4 weeks. http://www.lemonlaw4california.com/
Good luck.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:48 PM
CABimmerNation

There is no way a local BMW dealership can do an engine swap and make it work right in a month.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
e66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABimmerNation View Post
There is no way a local BMW dealership can do an engine swap and make it work right in a month.
You are totally wrong. I dont know where you have had an engine put in that took a month but they played you. Probably because you don't know what your talking about and angered some employee. The op has no history of problems with the car, there is no basis for the car being a lemon. Repeated attempts at repair with no result constitutes a lemon, not bmw proactively remedying an issue that may come up but which has not shown itself as of yet. According to the posts.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM
e66

If you actually read the link you provided which is just copied from the ca.gov website in my post you would know your wrong.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
You are totally wrong. I dont know where you have had an engine put in that took a month but they played you. Probably because you don't know what your talking about and angered some employee. The op has no history of problems with the car, there is no basis for the car being a lemon. Repeated attempts at repair with no result constitutes a lemon, not bmw proactively remedying an issue that may come up but which has not shown itself as of yet. According to the posts.

Dang. Little harsh there.

Just get a lemon attorney. CA is the strongest in the nation. If it is out for 30d you should qualify. I don't see another reason you would qualify at this point.

Sent from your mom's iPhone

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 PM
e66

c0nfused.

Quote:
I don't think the dealer sold me a bad car knowingly. I like to give companies the benefit of the doubt that they don't try to screw customers. However, if they knew that certain vin numbers had these problems they should have put the information out to the dealers. I could understand if I got it at the beginning of the year, but I bought literally the last 2013 on the lot and got a smoking deal on it. Like I said, its a pretty good problem to have I guess in the grand scheme of things when you think about it. Yes, they put me in a 5 series loaner for now and they are looking for something bigger.
this implies that bmw knew about this problem before you bought the car, i see no info of the sort, your infering they knew, do you know when they found out about this problem, are you assuming this is witheld info because they know the vins of the cars with problems???? they built them, thus they would be able to go back "retroactivly" and see "jim bob" was the guy on second shift in the oil system assembly station, all his cars are bad, and recall any cars he touched, they would know this by the vin of the car. hence the contacted you based on your vin, probably as soon as the could track down the issue, and find out what batch of cars was affected. btw FIRE JIM BOB. i feel for ou, its a sweet car, i love bmw, sometimes you just have to play along. i would never resort to litigation over a non problem, just clutters the judicial system.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2013 750xi & 2002 745i
I really feel bad as I just purchased my 2013 brand new a couple weeks ago. Just hit 1500km. Hope im not in for a surprise.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Is there a service bulletin with the VIN ranges listed?

2013 750i | Executive Package | M Sport | LED Lighting | 20"
Old 02-20-2014, 03:02 PM
CABimmerNation

Quote:

Didn't have an engine put in, just a engine seal that leaked a dime sized oil spot on my garage floor at 2500 miles. Took the dealership 7 weeks to get my car back to me. I could have lemoned the car, but I decided to keep it. Oh, I forgot to mention, because I did not lemon the car, the dealership gave me a check for 10k when I got the car back for "BMW goodwill". So I'm not sure if I got played when they kept my car for 7 weeks or if I got played when they gave me 10k. You can decide that one.
Also, why so angry?
Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
Quote:
True that, be prepared for 2 months at the very best.

It took almost that long for the largest BMW dealership in northern germany to replace an engine.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 PM
e66

Quote:
Didn't have an engine put in, just a engine seal that leaked a dime sized oil spot on my garage floor at 2500 miles. Took the dealership 7 weeks to get my car back to me. I could have lemoned the car, but I decided to keep it. Oh, I forgot to mention, because I did not lemon the car, the dealership gave me a check for 10k when I got the car back for "BMW goodwill". So I'm not sure if I got played when they kept my car for 7 weeks or if I got played when they gave me 10k. You can decide that one.
Also, why so angry?
Your op says you did lemon the car. So what is it, you, your two buddies used that lawyer and lemoned the car. Or, now you got a goodwill check for ten grand because you didn't lemon it. I Googled bmw goodwill check/payment/reimbursement. The only thing that comes up is bmw goodwill repair. I think your full of it. And all I've heard are stories, seven weeks for a gasket. Lil far fetched.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM

I kind of like when my car has problems just so I can complain-brag with lines such as, "$100 thousand dollars for this piece of crap?! it breaks down more often than my damn lambo and mclaren combined!"

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 PM
CABimmerNation

Quote:
Your op says you did lemon the car. So what is it, you, your two buddies used that lawyer and lemoned the car. Or, now you got a goodwill check for ten grand because you didn't lemon it. I Googled bmw goodwill check/payment/reimbursement. The only thing that comes up is bmw goodwill repair. I think your full of it. And all I've heard are stories, seven weeks for a gasket. Lil far fetched.

Wait, BMW doesn't advertise that they will give you cash if you don't lemon law one of their cars? That's weird, you would think they would want everyone to know that. You are correct, in fact the only thing you have been correct about, that my op is a little vague. When I said the lemon law attorney helped me, I meant with advice, as I'm not a lawyer. My 2 friends lemoned their cars. I have a 7, there is a picture right there ^ , I do not have a M6 or a 3 series. I actually am full from last month, I'm still stuffed. I don't normally go on sites and make up stories, but I decided to make an exception here.
astockglausner if you don't want the car, call the lemon law attorney, he will take care of you. Please report back, love to here good news.