Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABimmerNation View Post
Wait, BMW doesn't advertise that they will give you cash if you don't lemon law one of their cars? That's weird, you would think they would want everyone to know that. You are correct, in fact the only thing you have been correct about, that my op is a little vague. When I said the lemon law attorney helped me, I meant with advice, as I'm not a lawyer. My 2 friends lemoned their cars. I have a 7, there is a picture right there ^ , I do not have a M6 or a 3 series. I actually am full from last month, I'm still stuffed. I don't normally go on sites and make up stories, but I decided to make an exception here.

astockglausner if you don't want the car, call the lemon law attorney, he will take care of you. Please report back, love to here good news.

Lol!

Sent from your mom's iPhone

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:11 PM
e66

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
You got me, I was searching for bmw advertisements in all my consumer reports magazines about lemon laws and payoffs. I've since adjusted my tactic to incorporate the internet and also can't find anyone who has had a similar experience. Please speak up if you know of anyone that has received such a payout for a similar situation.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
There is no way a local BMW dealership can do an engine swap and make it work right in a month.
Yes they can. Mine was recently completely taken out and put back together in a less than a month. They remove all crap on the way (suspension, etc) and remove the engine from the bottom. It takes maximum 2 days to get the engine and tranny out and no more than a week to have the new one in and re-program. If engine is not in stock, 5 days they it from Germany.

I think the dealer will do what it takes to get that engine swap done in less than four weeks.

CABimmernation, remember they swapping complete engine. It may take more time to tear the engine down and rebuild and re-assemble to car.

The grocery getter

Last edited by Ram750; 02-20-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750I
We didn't find out whether BMW recalled the engine proactively or it exhibited some problems that led to them wanting the engine replaced.

OP can you elaborate whether you experienced issues with your engine or BMW recalled it proactively.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram750 View Post
Yes they can. Mine was recently completely taken out and put back together in a less than a month. They remove all crap on the way (suspension, etc) and remove the engine from the bottom. It takes maximum 2 days to get the engine and tranny out and no more than a week to have the new one in and re-program. If engine is not in stock, 5 days they it from Germany.

I think the dealer will do what it takes to get that engine swap done in less than four weeks.

CABimmernation, remember they swapping complete engine. It may take more time to tear the engine down and rebuild and re-assemble to car.
I may have missed your prior post, but are you back up and running?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:55 AM
e66

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
There is no current recall on the engine nor did the op experience any problems, they contacted him based in his vin

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: Alpina B7
Lemon laws are different and BMW would rather avoid taking a car back as a lemon. My experience has been that they would rather deal with the issue before it gets to that point.

Being a lease though. I can see them treating this a bit different as they will be on the hook for resale.

Last edited by Alpina CLT; 02-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Just my actual experience here.

I HAD a 2013 B7 Alpina LWB that I purchased late last May and returned early December. I had multiple problems of various sorts over the six months I owned the car, They included bad paint, faulty climate fan, oil consumption, and then the worst, a stuttering at the low end of second gear when coming to a stop. They thought it was a fuel management problem, but they could not come up with a solution. At the same time, I was having some pretty rough downshifts as well as some serious hard starts. It was like popping the clutch on some starts from a complete stop. They asked for a few weeks to resolve the problem, then called me back two weeks later to ask me what I wanted to do since the service manager did not think the engineers were making my issue a priority. He met with BMW NA and they basically let me tell them what I wanted to do. I was reasonable and they were reasonable.

I did not have to go down the Lemon route, but I made it clear to them that I would if I had to. My local guys really went to bat for me. I am not sure I would have gotten such an amicable outcome from every other dealer out there.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdoha234 View Post
What did I miss? Did your current engine break down or are they being proactive and replacing your engine due to an alert from BMW?? I looked at your previous posts and dont see where you say you had a problem. If they are being proactive then thats one hell of a recall!
Replying to myself..but going by the thread, Im guessing that BMW called you, even though you had no issues, and is currently replacing your engine. Is there a precedence for this? To recall cars and replace the engine?? Are they going to replace the engine on thousands of cars that probably fall within the VIN range?
Im scratching my head on this whole thing.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:07 PM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina CLT View Post
Just my actual experience here.

I HAD a 2013 B7 Alpina LWB that I purchased late last May and returned early December. I had multiple problems of various sorts over the six months I owned the car, They included bad paint, faulty climate fan, oil consumption, and then the worst, a stuttering at the low end of second gear when coming to a stop. They thought it was a fuel management problem, but they could not come up with a solution. At the same time, I was having some pretty rough downshifts as well as some serious hard starts. It was like popping the clutch on some starts from a complete stop. They asked for a few weeks to resolve the problem, then called me back two weeks later to ask me what I wanted to do since the service manager did not think the engineers were making my issue a priority. He met with BMW NA and they basically let me tell them what I wanted to do. I was reasonable and they were reasonable.

I did not have to go down the Lemon route, but I made it clear to them that I would if I had to. My local guys really went to bat for me. I am not sure I would have gotten such an amicable outcome from every other dealer out there.

Good luck.
And the reason that they bought it back from you is so they could turn it around and sell it as a used car to the next guy. A used car with a history will sell for much more than a car that has gone through the lemon law process and had it's title branded. It seems like they are stepping up for you, in reality they are just looking out for their own bottom line. I used to have my dealers license and I saw first hand the huge bath that basically brand new cars took at auction that were branded lemons. I used this knowledge to get $. Some 7 owners on here have settled for a car payment or two or for BMW to extend their warranty by a month or two. They got what they thought was fair, I got what I thought was fair.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Yea, I know that, but they are taking a huge price reduction on it, around 30%. It is on their site for sale. That being said, a friend of mine went and test drove it and they were completely open about the unresolved issue. All he had to do was ask why the previous owner got out of it.

My real point is that if he even can come remotely close to qualifying under the lemon law, the dealer should try to avoid that as they did here. It's up to the next guy to do his homework. Personally, I only buy new and I only buy, no leases. I usually keep my cars for a longer period though.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
And the reason that they bought it back from you is so they could turn it around and sell it as a used car to the next guy. A used car with a history will sell for much more than a car that has gone through the lemon law process and had it's title branded. It seems like they are stepping up for you, in reality they are just looking out for their own bottom line. I used to have my dealers license and I saw first hand the huge bath that basically brand new cars took at auction that were branded lemons. I used this knowledge to get $. Some 7 owners on here have settled for a car payment or two or for BMW to extend their warranty by a month or two. They got what they thought was fair, I got what I thought was fair.
True. I got 95% of my cash back for a 2 year old 7. I went to a lemon attorney, spent 30 min and 2 weeks later BMW agreed to buy the car back. They even had to pay the attorney $2500. CA lemon law destroys manufacturers. A lemon attorney will tell you, there are two types of lemon laws in the US. The CA lemon law and the rest of the countries lemon laws. They don't compare.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
CABimmerNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
True. I got 95% of my cash back for a 2 year old 7. I went to a lemon attorney, spent 30 min and 2 weeks later BMW agreed to buy the car back. They even had to pay the attorney $2500. CA lemon law destroys manufacturers. A lemon attorney will tell you, there are two types of lemon laws in the US. The CA lemon law and the rest of the countries lemon laws. They don't compare.
So they basically gave you all your money back on a two year old car. Then they dump the car at auction, probably 30-40k in the hole. Still don't believe I got 10. I probably could have even gotten a little more, but, I demanded and received what I thought was fair.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
CABimmerNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina CLT View Post
Yea, I know that, but they are taking a huge price reduction on it, around 30%. It is on their site for sale. That being said, a friend of mine went and test drove it and they were completely open about the unresolved issue. All he had to do was ask why the previous owner got out of it.

My real point is that if he even can come remotely close to qualifying under the lemon law, the dealer should try to avoid that as they did here. It's up to the next guy to do his homework. Personally, I only buy new and I only buy, no leases. I usually keep my cars for a longer period though.
Is it the 2013 with 6k miles for $116,589? If so, it's the highest priced 2013 B7 in the country on Autotrader.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
This sh1t is absurd....
Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg9582 View Post
I may have missed your prior post, but are you back up and running?

I picked it up late yesterday. I am gonna give it a good run on the week-end before I report back to the dealer on Tuesday. I might do a new thread if I have time on my issues and how they were fixed (hopefully) by the dealer.

The grocery getter

Last edited by Ram750; 02-21-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 E65 730d
Range of VIN #s

Hi guys,

Since I'm considering a used F01 750, I would appreciate it a lot if anybody would report the range of VIN #s with the earlier mentioned engine/oil problems... Does anybody know or is the VIN-story a fairy tale?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i
I've had to deal with BMWNA on three separate occasions for vehicles that had issues, and for the most part, they've stepped up and took care of me.

My 2006 645ci was DOA. i couldn't even take it home the first night because of an issue and 3 weeks later, they lemoned it and returned all my money.

My 2007 M5 was lemoned about 2 years after purchasing it and they refunded practically everything i had paid into the car from day one. As someone else mentioned, California's lemon law is awesome and they base the repayment on the first occurrence of problems, which in my case was at 396 miles on the M5. I returned it with 41k miles and paid about $900 in use and other crap for driving it two years.

My 2012 BMW 535i was lemoned 6 weeks after i bought it for the infamous steering/suspension issues. BMW agreed right away to take it back and refund me. I followed that car to see what happens to it. Sticker on it was $62k, sold at auction for $31,500 and then some dealer in Tennessee picked it up and listed it for $39,995. Talk about taking a bath on a new car with 900 miles.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E65 730d
Phew, sounds like BMW is crap quality... I had some serious issues with an E65 diesel (136th miles): a butterfly valve flew into the engine resulting in 5000$ repairs!! Since the car was 9 years old, BMW didn't refund anything, although this issue was common and newly designed valves were introduced in the E66. And, I just can't believe BMW finds it 'normal' wear and tear for pieces of their car to fly in the engine...so disappointing... So, although I LOVE driving the 7-series, I've had concerns about the reliability. Given the posts on serious reliability issues on Bimmerfest makes me very reluctant to buy another Siebener....

Last edited by schoensel; 02-26-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfromcali View Post
I've had to deal with BMWNA on three separate occasions for vehicles that had issues, and for the most part, they've stepped up and took care of me.

My 2006 645ci was DOA. i couldn't even take it home the first night because of an issue and 3 weeks later, they lemoned it and returned all my money.

My 2007 M5 was lemoned about 2 years after purchasing it and they refunded practically everything i had paid into the car from day one. As someone else mentioned, California's lemon law is awesome and they base the repayment on the first occurrence of problems, which in my case was at 396 miles on the M5. I returned it with 41k miles and paid about $900 in use and other crap for driving it two years.

My 2012 BMW 535i was lemoned 6 weeks after i bought it for the infamous steering/suspension issues. BMW agreed right away to take it back and refund me. I followed that car to see what happens to it. Sticker on it was $62k, sold at auction for $31,500 and then some dealer in Tennessee picked it up and listed it for $39,995. Talk about taking a bath on a new car with 900 miles.
Ugh - what in the world are you doing still buying BMWs? I would have been long gone after the first lemoned car. Glad they took care of you in the end.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
CABimmerNation

Quote:

The other crazy part is the guy that bought that for the hugely discounted price, still had the full factory warranty to fall back on.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftlane11 View Post
Ugh - what in the world are you doing still buying BMWs? I would have been long gone after the first lemoned car. Glad they took care of you in the end.
You'd be surprised, MBZ is just as bad.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li
Quote:
You'd be surprised, MBZ is just as bad.
As is Audi. But not Infiniti, or Lexus,or.....even Porsche is better than these other German makers.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750 Li
I bought a lemon 750li. The car was taken back 3 times for a camera malfunction for the driver side wheel well. I was not concerned the car was a lemon by any means. First, I get both the 100k maintenance and CPO. Second, car had under 30,000 miles and I got it for $15k less than other comparables. The thing that boggles my mind is there must be some ****ty techs in Cali. When I bought my car, the camera light malfunction was still on. I took it to my dealer here in Indy and they stated that there was corrosion on the connection of the camera and replaced that and the wiring.. I have had zero issues with that ever since. Not sure why this was not done or looked at in the 3 times it went back to service when there was a chance that it could be lemoned.

Also, I have noticed forums are for tech savvy users and there are alot of owners who are not. Most info on any forums is bitching about some type of problem BMW or even about other manufactures dropping the ball. To be truthful, there have been issues that I had on my car and would have never complained about or known about unless it was for this forum. So yes it is a plus to the user, but I also believe we develop a hyper sensitivity based on others horror stories.

Rent a chrysler 300 or Chevy Impala and then get back in your 7 after a week. I promise, even with some issues, its worth it
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540
Quote:
There is no way a local BMW dealership can do an engine swap and make it work right in a month.
What are you talking about? I can swap an engine in less than two days!!!