Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe
2008 E92 CIC / Combox Upgrade - Success

Working with the guy's at Bimmer-Tech (Patryk & his team), I have successfully completed a CIC / Combox upgrade on my 2008 M3.

I am absolutely delighted with the service provided by Bimmer-Tech. Based on my past experience, this is extremely hard to achieve.

After working with Patryk to determine exactly what I needed, I placed the order on-line. It took a long time for the bank transfer to work out due to issues with my local bank however once I got that sorted, the kit was quickly assembled and shipped out fast.

Firstly, I installed the new style iDrive controller with the new center console. Unfortunately the controller simply did not work. Kudo's to Patryk, a replacement controller was shipped immediately. Temporarily, the old CCC style controller was re-installed.

Next, The CIC and CID was installed. I should point out that I went with the PnP activation. I had some issues neatly tucking away the PnP harness but after a bit of patience, I managed to get it all neatly tucked away. The CIC booted up and I immediately got the SOS failure message. After a quick e-mail exchange with Patryk, I figured out that I had not moved the Optical cable from the CCC main harness to the PnP harness. At this point, there was no sound, no Bluetooth capability. The only think that appeared to be working was the Navigation. At this point I gave up for the night.

Finally, I pulled out the old TCU and installed the Combox. It took me a while to figure out the correct connections and also that the original MULF and TCU main harnesses had to be re-worked into new housings that came with the PnP harness. At this point, there was still no sound, no Bluetooth capability and the SOS failure message returned.

I had an easy work schedule the following day so I set up the remote coding session at 2.00am (basically the first time-slot I could get with Patyk's associate MEN). The coding session was a breeze and took less than 1 hour.

SOS failure gone, return of sound and Bluetooth capability. I happily went to grab some sleep before work, feeling that I had completed the upgrade.

The following evening, my heart sank as the CIC and CID did not boot up as I was heading out to dinner with the wife. I sent a quick SOS e-mail to Patryk from the restaurant and received a quick response with some recommendations to check the PnP activation module connection. Luckily, I had not yet re-installed all of the trim so it was easy to verify. The connector to the activation module had come loose. I remade the connection and for good measure I now have it secured in place with the addition of a tie-wrap. I also adjusted the cable routing to make sure there was no strain on the connector. All was good again.

I spent the next couple of days playing with the new functionality and discovered 2 small issues. The CIC would not play Region 2 DVD's (Format Unreadable Error) and both the #7 & #8 preset buttons could not be programmed. I set up a follow on coding session with MEN and was stunned that he was willing to do it at 1.30am local time. 30 minutes later everything was working as expected.

The following day, the replacement iDrive controller arrived. It is now installed, all trim is re-installed and the upgrade is a 100% success!

Over all, I am extremely happy working on this with Patryk and his team. I genuinely feel these guy's work very long hours and keep going until you are satisfied. E-mail exchanges were fast and the remote coding sessions were quick and efficient. I am also happy that the CIC and Combox came pre-loaded with all of the latest SW versions with the added bonus of the 2014 professional maps.

This has been a great experience and I full recommend anyone considering this upgrade to work it with the guy's at Bimmer-Tech.
Ads by Google