Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Low oil light

Yesterday, I got a low oil warning light while running a short errand. When I came home, I checked the oil level and it said it was OK. Drove the car another 125 miles in different trips and the whole time I kept checking the oil and it showed full. Today, I started the car and it showed low oil when i checked it. I assume I didn't damage anything, but why would this light be so sketchy? The manual says 125 miles max, but as sketchy as this was, maybe it was low for longer???

2007 E92 335i Coupe•Premium & Sport package•Electronic countermeasures•Flares•Chaff•Cloaking•20mm Vulcan cannon•Solid rocket boosters•Chobham armour•Titanium cockpit

Last edited by cjhoward; 02-22-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
When you say you checked the oil level does that mean

When you say you checked the oil level does that mean that you read the graph level
as shown in the manual?
If you are just accepting OK as an indication you are not actually checking the oil level.
If the graph is at the minimum level you could be going back and forth between OK and not OK.
The minimum level of the graph is suppose to be 1 qt down against 7 qts.
Read the graph and add a little if its at minimum.
Since this sensor is so flaky its not advised to add very much oil in one fill . Better to add a bit at a time
drive it and check a few times on separate drives and repeat till you are topped off.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-22-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Add a quart and drive 10-16 miles and then check it. That happened to me when I changed my oil and I did not quite put enough back in to keep engine oil level over the minimum max level if that makes any sense.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhoward View Post
Yesterday, I got a low oil warning light while running a short errand. When I came home, I checked the oil level and it said it was OK. Drove the car another 125 miles in different trips and the whole time I kept checking the oil and it showed full. Today, I started the car and it showed low oil when i checked it. I assume I didn't damage anything, but why would this light be so sketchy? The manual says 125 miles max, but as sketchy as this was, maybe it was low for longer???

You must immediately, and without delay, Google BMW DIPSTICK

You will discover what the oil sensor is....actually 3 sensors....why BMW does not have a dipstick....all about false low oil warnings....and a great number of other things.

Google. Bing. Titans in the field of self discovery.