Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 735i
That tank looks pretty rusty and rust in a tank can't be fixed.... Bite the bullet and replace it with a good clean one! Dropping the tank is not really that big an issue - as long as it's nearly empty! Yes, the heat shield and tailshaft have to come off first.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 740IL
Thanks Mr Podmore, Thats about the only spot where the tank looks bad. Overall it looks pretty good. I would consider dropping the tank if I had access to a hoist but Im not a big fan of doing it in the driveway. If I did get it down it would only be for a repair cause a new tank is more money than I have into this car. Its too bad I cant even see the area where its leaking.

BTW: I went to the U-Pull yard and the 740 was gone. Most likely crushed. There were two new (97s) 528i's

I found these photos on a German BMW forum. Look familiar......

BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW

Last edited by Bonanzadave; 03-10-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn7 View Post
I'm afraid you won't see much of the tank by removing the wheel arch liner, other than the leading top corner.
Yep, so I took off the RT rear tire and pulled back the wheel well liner. I was able to see the previous owner had applied some JB weld just above the seam. I scraped it off and saw 2 small holes. I scraped it pretty clean and then used a scotch brite soaked in Lacquer thinner. I applied some Poly sulfide which we use on aircraft fuel cells http://www.ppg.com/coatings/aerospac...90_class_b.pdf. Its a 2 part sealer that is really nasty. I have a heat gun running on it to keep it warm.

The saga continues.......

Last edited by Bonanzadave; 03-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanzadave View Post
The saga continues.......
So far so good. No leaks