Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 89 525i
89 e34 525i Timing Belt

I bought a new BELT and WATER PUMP and TENSION-ER and installed all of it, BUT
before I started the work I made sure I had set the TDC to match top and bottom, , at that point I removed the belt , but now after putting everything back together I did my two rotations I see that the bottom mark matches perfect to the engine V cut, but the top seems to be one tooth behind the mark, After doing some research online, I loosen the tension and did two more rotation but that has not helped me at all, I still have the bottom matching but the top seems to still be one tooth behind, What can I do to fix this issue, my back is broken from doing this and its driving me crazy HELPPPPPP
All suggestion will be highly appreciated and if you can give me baby steps that would help as I am a weekend mech trying to save some cash

Last edited by mrod63; 02-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Der Sturm Uberdoktor

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
M20 engine I assume???

Getting the timing correct on a belt motor takes a little time. I've done a lot of oddball motors with belts, like Ferarri F430's that make your head spin with their complexity, so I am trying to find a way to explain how I would do it.

If I understand you correctly, what you need to do is move the cam one tooth, independent of the crank. I would go to TDC and align the crank, then loosen tensioner and move the cam to where I want it to be.

This is a decent 'how-to' with lots of pics. It's an E30 forum, but features the M20 engine:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1889

Maybe another member will chime in....

Last edited by Doktor Bert; 02-24-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 89 525i
that is what I need to know how to move the top one and how to do it since no books or research has told me how or tells me the type of bolt or screw it has ?
The top one I think it is what you mean when you say the CAM that seems to be pretty stiff cant move it by hand so how would I move it , using what tool

Last edited by mrod63; 02-24-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Der Sturm Uberdoktor

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
If you relax the tension on the belt, you should be able to slip it off the cam gear enough and/or raise it off the teeth enough to change its position. If you cannot turn the cam gear, you could slightly turn the crank the (1) tooth you need and re-fit the belt...