Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
NEW to Site....NEW to BMW!!!!

What up everyone?! Im new to the site and new to the "Dark Side" as ive always called BMW as my last car which was my first car was a 2002 CLK430 Benz that I had extensively modded. I loved that car and still do but sadly it was totaled. Ive always had my eye on the 335i since it came out so that was my next vehicle of choice for a long time. Being 2014 and the 335is being out since 2011 still using the n54 engine I decided to pick up a 2011 335is with 9000 miles. I feel I made a great decision as the modding options are endless if I start getting bored. My questions at this time are what to look out for as far as regular maintenance, cleaning, etc...any little tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated. Also another concern is taking care of the rust that just started on the calipers and rotors this winter because of the road salting. Mind you my clk which I never treated for rust didn't have a speck of rust on its undercarriage and I had that car for over 8 years. BMW doesn't seem to have as well of a rust proofing process Thanks and I hope youre all as knowledgeable and helpful as the benz guys in the forums!
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideIS View Post
What up everyone?! Im new to the site and new to the "Dark Side" as ive always called BMW as my last car which was my first car was a 2002 CLK430 Benz that I had extensively modded. I loved that car and still do but sadly it was totaled. Ive always had my eye on the 335i since it came out so that was my next vehicle of choice for a long time. Being 2014 and the 335is being out since 2011 still using the n54 engine I decided to pick up a 2011 335is with 9000 miles. I feel I made a great decision as the modding options are endless if I start getting bored. My questions at this time are what to look out for as far as regular maintenance, cleaning, etc...any little tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated. Also another concern is taking care of the rust that just started on the calipers and rotors this winter because of the road salting. Mind you my clk which I never treated for rust didn't have a speck of rust on its undercarriage and I had that car for over 8 years. BMW doesn't seem to have as well of a rust proofing process Thanks and I hope youre all as knowledgeable and helpful as the benz guys in the forums!
Well...pics or it didn't happen.

You will eventually have to have a walnut blasting done as carbon deposits build up in the intake manifold. Rotors will rust, that is normal. I'm not sure about the calipers. You generally wont ever have to worry about rust on these cars.

Welcome to the 'Fest!

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
You only have 9000mikes, I don't think there is anything to worry about, enjoy it! and yes, post pics!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Well DS/IS, what mods did you make to your Merc?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 AM

Haha you guys are already proving to be a tough crowd...I'll post pics up of the 335 and clk pre and post accident later as I'm at work and have pics of the Benz on my computer. As for the rusty rotors and calipers I would really like to tackle this prone problem now and not have to worry about a bigger problem down the road. The car comes with 313 rims and really shows it
Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Haha you guys are already proving to be a tough crowd...I'll post pics up of the 335 and clk pre and post accident later as I'm at work and have pics of the Benz on my computer. As for the rusty rotors and calipers I would really like to tackle this prone problem now and not have to worry about a bigger problem down the road. The car comes with 313 rims and really shows it

Guessing cosmetic mods are you cup o'tea. Some of that here, from M3 badges to rear deck wings, but it's not extensive. Much more re: performance mods.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Lol M3 badging...I'm not into posing. If I wanted an m3 I'd of got one. Yes I'm into costmetics but also performance. Sort of the reason why I got the IS instead of the I because it still comes with the n54 engine. The Benz had over 12k in it in cosmetic and performance mods. Carlsson front bumper, 19" lorinser wheels, H&R springs and bilstein shocks, mild exhaust work, renntech intake which I later removed to upgraded to a supercharger, beefed up the transmission solenoids to take the harder shifts, custom dyno tune...370rwhp, 400rwtq. It was an animal. Low and fast
Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
I rented a CLK430 in Vegas a few years back. Perhaps because it was a rental it felt different, but boy I didn't care much for that car at all. Terrible driving car IMO.

I think you'll love the BMW a lot more once you have it a few months and really get to know it. Certainly drives A LOT better!!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
I rented a CLK430 in Vegas a few years back. Perhaps because it was a rental it felt different, but boy I didn't care much for that car at all. Terrible driving car IMO.

I think you'll love the BMW a lot more once you have it a few months and really get to know it. Certainly drives A LOT better!!
In Stock form yes they are more of a soft body rolley type of ride as they weren't really built with performance aspect in mind..more luxury with a hint of performance as the 280hp 300tq V8 wasn't no slouch for a stock benz that began its production in 1997. But after I got done with stiffening the suspension and adding bigger and wider rims it was a completely different car. Not as stiff as the 335is but just enough. TBH I think the IS is TOO stiff but hopefully ill get used to it fast. Heres a pic of my CLK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0102.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	424924  

Last edited by DarkSideIS; 02-25-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 13 335is & 10 535 msport
Quote:
In Stock form yes they are more of a soft body rolley type of ride as they weren't really built with performance aspect in mind..more luxury with a hint of performance as the 280hp 300tq V8 wasn't no slouch for a stock benz that began its production in 1997. But after I got done with stiffening the suspension and adding bigger and wider rims it was a completely different car. Not as stiff as the 335is but just enough. TBH I think the IS is TOO stiff but hopefully ill get used to it fast. Heres a pic of mine
The IS is definitely stiff - especially with 19" wheels and runflats.

2013 335is AW/SB, 2010 535 Msport SG/Blk, 2005 330zhp (retired)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
In Stock form yes they are more of a soft body rolley type of ride as they weren't really built with performance aspect in mind..more luxury with a hint of performance as the 280hp 300tq V8 wasn't no slouch for a stock benz that began its production in 1997. But after I got done with stiffening the suspension and adding bigger and wider rims it was a completely different car. Not as stiff as the 335is but just enough. TBH I think the IS is TOO stiff but hopefully ill get used to it fast. Heres a pic of my CLK
Drop the runflats, it will be much more comfortable.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Scoale and Nerdboss...You guys are both right as the runflats ruin the ride and suck in the snow. That being the case im going to be prorating the wheel and tire insurance I picked up at the dealer and just putting on a set of my own tires of choice when the time comes for new ones. Heres a pic of the 335is. sorry for the ****ty angle and lighting but its in a tight space in my garage. Ill have to get it out and take some good shots of it. Also included pics of the rotor and caliper corrosion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTC ONE 173.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	424930   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTC ONE 179.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	424931   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTC ONE 181.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	424932  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Scoale and Nerdboss...You guys are both right as the runflats ruin the ride and suck in the snow. That being the case im going to be prorating the wheel and tire insurance I picked up at the dealer and just putting on a set of my own tires of choice when the time comes for new ones. Heres a pic of the 335is. sorry for the ****ty angle and lighting but its in a tight space in my garage. Ill have to get it out and take some good shots of it. Also included pics of the rotor and caliper corrosion
Looks like Sapphire metallic black, am I correct? Looks pretty sick, congrats!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Looks like Sapphire metallic black, am I correct? Looks pretty sick, congrats!
Yup Its Sapphire black...Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Lol M3 badging...I'm not into posing. If I wanted an m3 I'd of got one. Yes I'm into costmetics but also performance. Sort of the reason why I got the IS instead of the I because it still comes with the n54 engine. The Benz had over 12k in it in cosmetic and performance mods. Carlsson front bumper, 19" lorinser wheels, H&R springs and bilstein shocks, mild exhaust work, renntech intake which I later removed to upgraded to a supercharger, beefed up the transmission solenoids to take the harder shifts, custom dyno tune...370rwhp, 400rwtq. It was an animal. Low and fast

You should forget cosmetics and focus on handling. Your target: M3

You can easily blow away the ol' Merc w/460 hp & 460 ft lb, bolt-on. But before you do, explore what BMW has done, and aftermarket products like LSD, Koni Yellows; linear springs. Power's sloppy w/stock parts. Quite a kick w/right setup.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah....18" rims too. At least your ride'll be more compliant. Can still hold a line like was glued. Uh, not stock of course.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Consider painting the calipers, that should last a few good years...and then, do it again I'm not sure how expensive is to change what's behind the wheel...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app