Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328XI coupe
Question on springs - OEM x-drive vs OEM rwd vs H&R

I found that my '07 328xi coupe sat way too high, and I didn't like the wheel gap. So taking advice I got here, I replaced the OEM springs with H&R Sports (PN 50494-2).

This is combined with 19" BMW Performance 313 wheels in summer, and OEM 17" in winter. Tires are NOT runflat.

On Montreal roads, the car is much too stiff and bouncy. It slams hard even over small cracks. The suspension isn't bottoming out, but the progressive H&R springs are just too stiff.

I need to do something about the springs, but I very much dislike the car's stance with the OEM x-drive springs. Are springs from a RWD coupe an option that would lower the car a bit (though not as much as the H&Rs do), without sacrificing as much comfort as the H&Rs do?

I've reached a point where I just don't enjoy driving the car anymore. It's too "boingy" and slams hard on small potholes. What are my best options?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEngineer32 View Post
I found that my '07 328xi coupe sat way too high, and I didn't like the wheel gap. So taking advice I got here, I replaced the OEM springs with H&R Sports (PN 50494-2).

This is combined with 19" BMW Performance 313 wheels in summer, and OEM 17" in winter. Tires are NOT runflat.

On Montreal roads, the car is much too stiff and bouncy. It slams hard even over small cracks. The suspension isn't bottoming out, but the progressive H&R springs are just too stiff.

I need to do something about the springs, but I very much dislike the car's stance with the OEM x-drive springs. Are springs from a RWD coupe an option that would lower the car a bit (though not as much as the H&Rs do), without sacrificing as much comfort as the H&Rs do?

I've reached a point where I just don't enjoy driving the car anymore. It's too "boingy" and slams hard on small potholes. What are my best options?

Thanks!
you probably should change your stock shocks out for some aftermarket. Koni yellows, koni fsd, bilstein, etc...
Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: 328XI coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux45 View Post
you probably should change your stock shocks out for some aftermarket. Koni yellows, koni fsd, bilstein, etc...
Thanks for the reply. I have read several posts where people tried to remedy the harshness of H&R springs with aftermarket shocks, with no real noticeable results. I'm at a point where I want to get rid of those springs, they're just not working for me. Would OEM springs from a RWD coupe give me slightly less of a drop (when compared to the XI),minus the harshness of the H&R?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The harshness you're experiencing is from having little dampening from your stock shocks/struts. They are not valved for lowering springs.

Many people like the Koni FSDs as they are dynamic and change with driving style. If you drive moderately, the shocks are soft. If you drive aggressively, they stiffen up to improve handling.

When you lower, the ride will naturally be stiffer unless you get adjustable coilovers and set the damper setting to soft. But then what's the point in getting coilovers? Even at the softest setting, the ride is still a bit stiff.

The OEM sport springs won't do much for lowering. Maybe a 1/2". I wouldn't do it. If you do end up doing it, you can remove the 1/4" reinforcement plate between the strut tower and strut hats to remove the front rake. But I would brace the towers with a strut bar if you remove the plates.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 02-25-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
+2 on Koni FSDs. On a 2007 you probably will need new shocks by 90k miles anyway. Unless you think the H&R springs are too low, then get OEM Sport package springs, which are probably standard on all coupes w/out xDrive.