Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 AM
ajdoha234 ajdoha234 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Doha
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2013 740Li
Dreaded low on oil warning

Maybe someone can shed some light on the whole "these cars burn oil" situation.
Last month, I performed the oil measurement test via the Idrive and it came back as 100 % good and at maximum level. Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I did it again because I had nothing better to do. It came up that my oil was at minimal level and to add a quart immediately. I was shocked to say the least. Today I finally got the Oil warning light, but when I go to the car info thru Idrive , it has a nice big check mark on the oil icon, which means my oil level is good.
Its confusing to say the least. So my questions are

1) How did it go from max to min in less than a month?? Does minimal mean just add a quart? The error message made it seem like I had no oil in the damn car.
2) What does minimal really mean? It said I only needed to add a quart but it said I needed to add it ASAP.
3) Why didnt I get a warning earlier, before I performed the measurement test?
4) Why do I still have a check mark next to the Oil icon saying that my Oil levels are good, but when I do the measurement test it says Im at minimal levels?

I added a quart and now Im back to Max levels. Im at appx 11,000 Kilometers on the car so I guess 1 quart of oil isnt so bad, I just dont like the way it warned me.
Also, whats the normal operating temperatures of these cars? My thermostat reading regularly gets close to the 250 mark. Seems kinda hot.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Missile Missile is online now
Registered User
Location: Georgia, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: 2011 740Li
Yes, the oil warnings seem confusing. Sorry I can't help on that too much. The temperature gauge in the car is reading the oil temperature and not the water temperature. I think there is a way to get the actual water temperature to display, but I can't remember offhand how to do it. If you search this forum, I'm sure it will pop up. When fully warm, my N54 is about 3/4 of the way to the 250 mark.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Popoemt's Avatar
Popoemt Popoemt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,573
Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdoha234 View Post
Maybe someone can shed some light on the whole "these cars burn oil" situation.
Last month, I performed the oil measurement test via the Idrive and it came back as 100 % good and at maximum level. Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I did it again because I had nothing better to do. It came up that my oil was at minimal level and to add a quart immediately. I was shocked to say the least. Today I finally got the Oil warning light, but when I go to the car info thru Idrive , it has a nice big check mark on the oil icon, which means my oil level is good.
Its confusing to say the least. So my questions are

1) How did it go from max to min in less than a month?? Does minimal mean just add a quart? The error message made it seem like I had no oil in the damn car.
2) What does minimal really mean? It said I only needed to add a quart but it said I needed to add it ASAP.
3) Why didnt I get a warning earlier, before I performed the measurement test?
4) Why do I still have a check mark next to the Oil icon saying that my Oil levels are good, but when I do the measurement test it says Im at minimal levels?

I added a quart and now Im back to Max levels. Im at appx 11,000 Kilometers on the car so I guess 1 quart of oil isnt so bad, I just dont like the way it warned me.
Also, whats the normal operating temperatures of these cars? My thermostat reading regularly gets close to the 250 mark. Seems kinda hot.
Thanks
As you are finding out the 750 burns a ton of oil (some owners are adding oil every 1k miles), while those of us 740 owners are spared from that (probably due to our 1 turbo and lovely use of comfort + hahaha)

That being said, when I hit around 14k I got the oil needed light, went to the dealer, topped off, and haven't had an issue since. I think it tells you the ASAP part as a way to get people off their butt to fix the problem before it really becomes a problem. That light going off and the dinging makes you think your engine is going to blow up. When I brought it in to the service they said it looked fine, but added a quart anyways!
__________________

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)

Last edited by Popoemt; 02-25-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 AM
ajdoha234 ajdoha234 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Doha
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2013 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoemt View Post
As you are finding out the 750 burns a ton of oil (some owners are adding oil every 1k miles), while those of us 740 owners are spared from that (probably due to our 1 turbo and lovely use of comfort + hahaha)

That being said, when I hit around 14k I got the oil needed light, went to the dealer, topped off, and haven't had an issue since. I think it tells you the ASAP part as a way to get people off their butt to fix the problem before it really becomes a problem. That light going off and the dinging makes you think your engine is going to blow up. When I brought it in to the service they said it looked fine, but added a quart anyways!
Okay..well, your guys answers pretty much seems like Im okay. I do have the first "car needs servicing" light on. What exactly do they do on the first service other than change the oil?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Missile Missile is online now
Registered User
Location: Georgia, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: 2011 740Li
Popemt, I believe the N54 has two separate turbos but the N55 has a single twin scroll turbo. My N54 engine burns a little oil, but nothing I am concerned about.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 AM
gassy gassy is offline
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 314
Mein Auto: 2011 750i Milano Beige
I have 33,000 miles on my 2011 750i. Added oil one time between oil changes. Not a universal issue, clearly.
__________________
2011 750i/ Milano Beige/ Saddle & Black Nappa/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 PM
AdamG13 AdamG13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA / Hillsboro Beach, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,121
Mein Auto: 2013 750i
average of 1.5 quarts per 1,000 miles here. long live the american consumer.
__________________

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 PM
jwanes jwanes is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 133
Mein Auto: 2009 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG13 View Post
average of 1.5 quarts per 1,000 miles here. long live the american consumer.
Same here. roughly 1L/1000Km(625miles) ever since I bought the car 15000Km ago. It has close to 87000km (55000miles) on it now. No leaks, no smoke.
__________________
2009 750i Imperial Blue
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM
AdamG13 AdamG13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA / Hillsboro Beach, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,121
Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Maybe this vehicle was designed to anger as many greenies as possible. Not only does it use an ungodly amount of gasoline, it also burns an inordinate amount of oil just to add insult to injury.
__________________

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
canuckdon canuckdon is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 173
Mein Auto: 2008 750Li
If you will forgive an E66er. I find the gauge measurement pretty inaccurate. remember temperature effects volume, so in the cold you do have less oil on startup. I find the dipstick is the only reliable measurement. I have had the red icon go on (racing up outramps in a parkade right after start up, so the centrifugal ( well okay the centripetal) force pushes the oil in the sump to one side, and it reads low oil). stopped and checked dip stick and I was near maximum. I have had the low oil yellow warning sound, and by the end of the drive it showed the oil at max. So I wouldn't get to concerned with the warnings. Once you determine how much oil you are burning (or slow leak like my 08) then just remember to check at the appropriate interval.

Cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM
J750 J750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 249
Mein Auto: 750Li
Welcome to the perks of owning BMW's "flagship".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Popoemt's Avatar
Popoemt Popoemt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,573
Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdoha234 View Post
What exactly do they do on the first service other than change the oil?
Nothing other than oil change and topping off fluids... And giving me a crappy base 328... they tried giving me the X1... I said Nay... Nay to your X1...

I'll be curious to know what they give you as a loaner in Doha? And how the dealership treats ya...
__________________

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)

Last edited by Popoemt; 02-25-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM
cukoodukoo cukoodukoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Middle of nowhere
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 131
Mein Auto: everyone crazy
Can anyone tell me the exact product you are using to top it off
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Ram750 Ram750 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 341
Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by J750 View Post
Welcome to the perks of owning BMW's "flagship".

@J750

Thread hijack. Did you that black beast up and running?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms