Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM
M

Mein Auto: 2012 M5
Winter Driving tips

Ok I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so it goes without saying you got to drive a AWD vehicle.

I had a beautiful 2011 550 ixDrive and it was great for any winter conditions mother nature could throw at me. Always wanting more...I desired the nectar of the Hp and speed gods so I decided it was time for the M5... honestly best decision I personally have made... until today when I got stuck in a snow drift...not due to speed or stupid driving but just driving into a friend's acreage where the snow was soft and high. I am sure it is on youtube under "idiot M5 driver stuck in the snow". There was nothing I could do to get any traction, the slightest touch of the gas and she dug in even deeper. Took off all the stability and traction controls and still not enough wheel spin generated, and in the automatic I could not get her to rock back and forth. In the end... defeated and beaten I called for the BMW road side assistance took less than 5 min. to get me out but I still took it to the local dealer to check it out for any under body damage.

Question anyone have tips on how to get out of a spot where you can't get any traction in the snow?
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: '13 550i
Are you using winter tires? I have a 550i (non xdrive) and I have yet to be stuck in the snow even when we had the recent snowstorms. I replaced my rears with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and have no problems getting around. Ice is another story but if it's that bad there's no reason to go out anyway.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Are you using winter tires? I have a 550i (non xdrive) and I have yet to be stuck in the snow even when we had the recent snowstorms. I replaced my rears with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and have no problems getting around. Ice is another story but if it's that bad there's no reason to go out anyway.
You only put winter tires on the rear? Don't you want to be able to turn and stop?

F10 M5 Alpine/Sakhir
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: '13 550i
I've had a set of these on my 2008 M3 and it wasn't a drastic difference and I just take turns a bit slower so I get by just fine. Since it's not AWD the front tires are basically skiis anyway haha.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
M

I got a full set of winters on. Bridgestone Blizzaks 255/35 R20. Snow I think was just to deep and soft so the whole vehicle just bottomed out. Pic is after I got pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	425145  
Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_01 View Post
Ok I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so it goes without saying you got to drive a AWD vehicle.

I had a beautiful 2011 550 ixDrive and it was great for any winter conditions mother nature could throw at me. Always wanting more...I desired the nectar of the Hp and speed gods so I decided it was time for the M5... honestly best decision I personally have made... until today when I got stuck in a snow drift...not due to speed or stupid driving but just driving into a friend's acreage where the snow was soft and high. I am sure it is on youtube under "idiot M5 driver stuck in the snow". There was nothing I could do to get any traction, the slightest touch of the gas and she dug in even deeper. Took off all the stability and traction controls and still not enough wheel spin generated, and in the automatic I could not get her to rock back and forth. In the end... defeated and beaten I called for the BMW road side assistance took less than 5 min. to get me out but I still took it to the local dealer to check it out for any under body damage.

Question anyone have tips on how to get out of a spot where you can't get any traction in the snow?
Just looked at the other responses to you question, and clearly they have not experienced what you and I have.
I have been driving BMW's for many years. Always have a good set of snow tires on all wheels. Never got stuck---I know how to handle the car in snow. Like what the other replies indicate--good snow tires is key. But a few weeks ago, for the first time ever, the snow caked under the car forming like a solid ice block and net result was it lifted the body of the car so the tires could not gain traction (could not reach the surface/pavement). Never had that happen before. Only solution was that I had to get a 2 x 4 and knock out (remove) all the snow from under the car so that the weight of the car was back onto the 4 wheels. I think that the consistency of the snow with the high moisture content contributed to this happening. Hopefully that does not happen for the next 20 years--but now I am aware that it can. The type of tires you have is immaterial when this happens.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 PM
M

You nailed it jayb328i. As you said it probably never going to happen again because now I know the limitations of rear wheel drive and a low riding vehicle in these scenarios...stay away from soft, wet deep snow!

2012 ///M5
2013 X3
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_01 View Post

Put some weight to the trunk

I have RWD Lexus GS430 - and this winter I got stuck just on my driveway. Could not move. Period. Tires - Michelin Pilot Winter Sport. (Not the best for the deep snow, but still - they are new dedicated winter tires).
Put everything what I have heavy to the trunk - and after few rocking could get a tracktion to get to the garage. Was too upset even to take a picture - knee-deep snow, I am sick and coughing, and moving some weights

Then took my 550xi - and started like a boss. Tires are better (Dunlop Wintersport 3D - more aggressive thread pattern), but the car is totally driveable - can launch easily.

I am thinking about M5, but RWD - is the huge conern here.. Actually my wife kind of tired of RWD - she was driving Lexus several winters, and then 550xi was like a huge relief..
Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 AM
tedb1965

Mein Auto: 2009 535i xDrive
Montreal here! Up at Mont Tremblant every weekend...Have owned '98 540 6 speed, '03 540 6 speed '08 e63 535 xdrive and now a F10 550 drive. In '08 the 535 was the more powerful 5er offered with awd. We also own a rarely used, very fast summer car.

All have been with 4 expensive snow tire never run more than 2 winters..There is no question that RWD is more fun Spring through Fall. However winter (late October thru late April) xdrive has meant a safe more useful driving tool. I feel this is true both for getting out of snowy parking spots and getting ahead of the snow plow or into the passing lane on highways. A bit of snow or ice does not slow us down.

If BMW chooses to offer an xdrive option on an M5 or M6 gransport for 2016, I would certainly be very interested.

I like BMWs and my dealer is fine but if is not an option, I will also look at leasing an Audi R8 or MLB e63 4 magic.

Our other car is an X5 which I would have to flip for a Q7 or GL so we only have to deal with one dealer.

All this to say..I you live in Calgary and get up to the Rockies on weekends, you need all wheel drive for safety and practicality.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-30-2014, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
I just drove in BAD conditions in the m5 on the supersports and honestly I think the car performed better than expected, but I had to drive 40+ miles through mountains and sticking snow and slush and temps between 34-32 it was just about to the point where I think it would have been catastrophic, and I did kick out the back end a bunch going down mountain hills.

Overall having this been the worst weather the car has seen it performed better than expected.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 PM
tedb1965

Mein Auto: 2009 535i xDrive
Again I drove 1998-2008 through snow storms and horrible conditions in my 2 e39 540s..and survived.

It is just so much easier/relaxed to do it with an xdrive car all winter long.

That being said my e39 540s 6speeds were much more fun and engaging to drive...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app