Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3, 04 Cobra
First Time x3 owner with ?

Hi everyone first time BMW owners and first time posting. So my GF just picked up her 2004 X3 3.0 with 85K miles a few months ago. When we got it they had to fix a few leaks in the antifreeze system, they said they replaced a few hoses or something, but its seems to be fine so far and no overheating. It has from time to time seem to get wet on the floor behind the driver seat and they could not find any issues but they clean the drain tubes and checked it all out. It drives great and seems to get good MPG for what it is. But what bothers me a little is when i took the oil cap off there was brown burnt oil on the inside of the cap. So we had the oil changed with some Mobil 1 and it seems to run good. Now we put new tires on it about a month after getting it as it transfers ALOT of road noise through the front into the cabin of the car, it seems to be the worst from 45-60 then after 60MPH its gose back to almost normal. What might cause this kind of noise as new tires did not seem to do much at all? Thanks for any help and or tips you can give. Im good with a wrench and can try most things but as im a FORD guy I dont know much about BMWs.
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2014, 05:06 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Not sure about the noisy front end, but the dampness in the rear passenger compartment could be the washer fluid line that runs to the rear gate; they're routed under the carpeting and are prone to leak in that area.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Could also be a torn vapor barrier in the door -- known problem when the cheap plastic drive dogs have been replaced (also a known problem) and the barrier not replaced or reinstalled properly.
These are not quiet cars -- so road/wind noise is not unknown. Tire tread design does have an effect -- but who knows how much? Also wheel bearing wear may also cause a "tire-like" drone, but that usually doesn't go away with speed.
Good luck with your new ride -- lots of interesting and fun things coming up for you to experience as you approach the magic 100K miles mark!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2004
I just inherited my mother's X3, 2004, been doing a lot of work and reading on it.

Here are some tips I've picked up concerning your issues:

Even money is that the dampness in the floor is caused by the little drain pipes from the sunroof.... find those openings and spray some compressed air down in them, and check the underside for debris ... they are a pain, cause they almost seem designed to catch the debris and let the water pass through, which, you know, is only useful for a short while. Don't be afraid to just cut the little rubber nipples off the drain end if you can't fish that junk out. I guarantee that will make your problem go away.

As far as the burnt oil ... welcome to owning a BMW.

Actually, more than likely your oil separator (they call it a CCV) is going bad. They almost all do. If you're tubing doesn't crumble to pieces when you go to replace it, consider yourself in the minority. Keep that in mind when you go to inspect it ... first of all, it is a pain in the rear times 2 to get to. If you have skinny little arms like I do, you might be able to save yourself some time by not having to remove some of the obstructions, but a lot you will. Buy extra T40 bits ... you will lose half of them trying to get the damn DISA box off. Well, I did. And when you buy that replacement CCV, expect that you need new tubing also.

Don't bother with a new DISA box until you do the CCV ... the impact of replacing the oil separator greatly outweighs the DISA ... sure it may make more noise, but burning oil because it isn't flowing properly through the PCV can cause all kind of grief.

Also, just a note, if you are technically proficient you can indeed poke around places and find software to connect your BMW to a computer. That's all I'll elaborate on that.

Welcome to your second job. Maintaining this car.

Don't get me wrong, I love it ... but I'm so glad I inherited it and didn't buy it. It wouldn't feel worth it, even with all the reminders on it that it is a BMW.

Oh yeah ... most of the X3s predate both Bluetooth (despite what your manual might say), and you got around a 50/50 shot of being able to add an audio input to the stereo ... after removing the dash and drilling some holes.

Ultimate. Driving. Machine.

Last edited by danielhrobbins; 03-01-2014 at 02:04 AM.