Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BART
Got a Speeding ticket in OK, don't know how fast I was going, any good lawyers?

I was driving though Oklahoma (not a resident) and got a speeding ticket. The thing is I have no idea how fast I was going as I was the only one on that rural highway so I wasn't paying attention to the speed. The officer came the opposite way - in a discrete vehicle.

Actually, I was fluctuating the speed of the car because the manual says NOT to drive the car at constant speeds for long time and to keep increasing/decreasing speed during first 1200 miles. Since I'm on a long trip (2000 miles) and just got delivery of my car, I wasn't using cruise control and increasing/decreasing speed of the car as I was driving. I think the officer caught me at the wrong time.

The option for me is to accept it and get 2 points on my driver's license etc OR challenge it. I was thinking about second option but notice that the citation says that I MUST appear in court if I plead not-guilty. Since I live in Cali, going to court isn't an option for me, so I've been thinking of hiring a good attorney. Anyone know of a good attorney in OK?

Are there any other options? Any letters you've sent to the Court clerk that worked? Please PM me...thanks!
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X-Drive
Jeez - you were speeding, knowingly and got caught. Admit it, pay the fine and move on. It's not the end of the world. The fact that you were not paying attention and/or there was no one on the road is exactly the reason you got the ticket - you'll have a pretty hard time talking a judge out of that one. How fast did he write you?
1998 Tiara 3500 Open (Cummins Diesels)

Previous Rides:
2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
2008 VW Passat
2007 Benz C class Sport
2006 Dodge Ram 2500
2001 Z06
1999 Dodge Ram
1996 Corvette rag top
1998 Lexus GS300
etc...
Old 02-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Pay the ticket. I'm not judging, but you were speeding and got caught. If you fight it, what would be your defense? It's possible that since you live in California the points won't appear on your record.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: BART
I'm not saying that I want a free pass, I just don't want this on my record and possibly lesser fine. It's just a money maker for police depts., which reminds me it's end of the month, so maybe he was just filling up his quota for the month?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Usually you can take an online traffic school, pay the ticket, and get no points. Does OK not have this option? Call the court clerk and ask this question, or on second thought try this: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=oklahoma+traffic+schools

EDIT: Also if you do this they will not inform Cali, and it will look like it never happened. How nice.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)

Last edited by bmwrocks; 02-28-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW E39 528i (M52TU)
one of the first thing that cops do when they pull you over is asked "do you know how fast you were going?" then they'll tell you. if they don't. look at the ticket. it should say how fast you were going.
find out more options. you may be able to avoid the pts on your license if you pay for the ticket and then take an online driving course. look into it.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X-Drive
You still haven't told us what he wrote you for?

It's too bad you got caught. But you did. Once the ticket is written not a lot you can do about it. If you've got a relatively clean driving record (no tickets for 5-7 years, no accidents) don't even worry about it. I got nailed last year in VA 80+ in a 55, cop wrote me for 74 as a courtesy (which I thanked him for profusely because in VA 20+ over is wreckless. No increase in insurance rates and from what my agent tells me, if you've got a clean record, there's enough goodwill in the policy to handle one ticket - everyone makes a mistake once.
1998 Tiara 3500 Open (Cummins Diesels)

Previous Rides:
2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
2008 VW Passat
2007 Benz C class Sport
2006 Dodge Ram 2500
2001 Z06
1999 Dodge Ram
1996 Corvette rag top
1998 Lexus GS300
etc...
Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 AM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport

I used to live in OK. Call the court clerk and ask for probation if you have a clean record. If your record is clean. Go 6 months without a ticket and then it will be removed from your record. Sometimes you still pay the fine, but at least your insurance won't catch wind of it. If they won't allow that. Ask if you can just pay a civil penalty. With that you just pay the fine and it's stricken from your record. Just remember the cops want the revenue and you don't want your insurance to know about it. So these are two win win options. I've had 38 speeding tickets and I have a clean record. If they won't allow those two options, PM me and I'll give you some more advice. I won't post on the forums cause I get a lot of backlash.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2015 X5D M Sport - Delivered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired

Last edited by skalberti; 02-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i 2012
Man speeding tickets are just a money maker for police dept/city and insurance company's.

Let me tell you guys something, you know how many cops accuse people of speeding "10+ over" but say "I'll just write you up for going 5 over", when in fact they weren't speeding at all! The cop know the person accused isn't going to fight 5mph over especially when they think the cop gave them a little break.

Not saying this happened in your case but damn it they aren't doing anything for the "people" besides harassing them.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: It is on the ship
Here in NC my attorney, as long as the ticket isn't too excessive, always gets them reduced to improper equipment. The attorney's fee is a couple of hundred on top of the court cost, but I believe it is better than having points.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I agree with Skalberti. Call and ask for probation....deferred adjudication. Be very polite and don't get into a discussion of whether you were speeding or not. That means nothing to them now. They would rather hear a truthful apology.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
2 pts. Ha. I'm about to go to trial for 11 pts. 80 in a 40 on the fdr.

Pay the fine and worry about more important things

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-28-2014, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_John View Post

Not saying this happened in your case but damn it they aren't doing anything for the "people" besides harassing them.
Yeah.... the 23 NYPD officers and 37 Port Authority police officers that died trying to save people in the World Trade Center towers on 9/11 were just there to harass people.

Traffic citations are a pain and in many ways a way to generate revenue. But, there are many drivers out there that deserve to get a ticket for there traffic violations.

Haaaaaaaa...... I feel better now.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I was driving though Oklahoma (not a resident) and got a speeding ticket. The thing is I have no idea how fast I was going as I was the only one on that rural highway so I wasn't paying attention to the speed. The officer came the opposite way - in a discrete vehicle.

Actually, I was fluctuating the speed of the car because the manual says NOT to drive the car at constant speeds for long time and to keep increasing/decreasing speed during first 1200 miles. Since I'm on a long trip (2000 miles) and just got delivery of my car, I wasn't using cruise control and increasing/decreasing speed of the car as I was driving. I think the officer caught me at the wrong time.

The option for me is to accept it and get 2 points on my driver's license etc OR challenge it. I was thinking about second option but notice that the citation says that I MUST appear in court if I plead not-guilty. Since I live in Cali, going to court isn't an option for me, so I've been thinking of hiring a good attorney. Anyone know of a good attorney in OK?

Are there any other options? Any letters you've sent to the Court clerk that worked? Please PM me...thanks!
How fast did the cop claim you were going?
Are you saying the officer did not document your alleged speed, or you don't know what your speedo was displaying at that time?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
You can plea bargain a ticket. Call the officer and ask if he will let you plead guilty to a non-moving violation such as improper equipment or failure to obey a traffic control device. I've done that once successfully, and once it didn't work. It's worth the effort. as other have said, be courteous, open, and honest and no need to discuss how fast you were going anymore. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post

A word of advice from experience. Never post a question about speeding or speeding tickets on the F10 forum.

Since this car, especially in 528i and 535i form also appeals to middle managers you will likely get the kind of lame responses you see from a a couple of the earlier responders on this thread. The trouble is these middle managers are used to following the rules and get shocked by the notion of breaking them.

You will find more out of the box thinkers on the Porsche and M forums since those cars tend to be out of the reach of middle managers.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 02-28-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I'm surprised OK has reciprocity with CA, which would result in points. Very few states have reciprocity with NY, so if you get a ticket out of state, you pay it and you're done.

Regardless, I agree with others who said 2 points isn't a big deal. If you have a clean record, one 2 point speeding ticket isn't going to suddenly kill your insurance rates.

2014 535d xDrive | Imp Blue | Mocha | MSport | Cold Weather | Driver Assist | DHP | LED | SAT | Multi-Contour | Harmon Kardon
2011 X5 35d xDrive (RETIRED) | Space Gray | Cinnamon Brown
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
A word of advice from experience. Never post a question about speeding or speeding tickets on the F10 forum.

Since this car, especially in 528i and 535i form also appeals to middle managers you will likely get the kind of lame responses you see from a a couple of the earlier responders on this thread. The trouble is these middle managers are used to following the rules and get shocked by the notion of breaking them.

You will find more out of the box thinkers on the Porsche and M forums since those cars tend to be out of the reach of middle managers.

Very strange post. In other words, you don't think anyone gave any good advice, but you as an M owner didn't give him any "out of the box" advice either.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Very strange post. In other words, you don't think anyone gave any good advice, but you as an M owner didn't give him any "out of the box" advice either.

My previous posts on this topic lead to me being slammed for condoning speeding so I don't bother any more. At least not on this board.

Oh and yes - I don't believe there are any useful replies yet. There are better places to get expert responses on this topic from people who have mounted successful defenses.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 02-28-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive

Stealth is using a rather broad brush, but his comments aren't without merit. I've been slammed for admitting to texting while driving on the freeway and suggesting it's rather safe while active cruise control is engaged.

I have no advice for the OP, but since we're on the subject of tickets, the last four I've gotten (over the past six years) have been on a holiday (4th of July and Christmas Eve). And all four were unreasonable (one in Wyoming on the 4th going literally five over; the ticket was for five over, was the most ridiculous of them).

Difficult for me to not feel like there is a "if I have to work on a holiday, I'm giving out tickets" mentality.

I've never really agreed with the general sentiment that tickets are for revenue. I can't imagine most cities could give out enough tickets to cover the cost of the officers, patrol cars, and so forth. Maybe in a very small town or something, but probably not most cities. I regard it more as a power play or empire building more than anything.

What they should do is offer a no-ticket subscription. $29/month gets you the right to safely speed up to 15 over. $39/month to speed up to 25 over, etc. I don't know what the specific price points would be, but they would make more money. And I'll bet there would be an essentially zero percent increase in accidents and fatalities.

Perhaps the reason they don't do this is the one Stealth points out. Too many people would hold the party line and would scream that their kids won't be safe playing catch with their dad in the yard or that all those kids that are constantly running out into the middle of highways to retrieve their basketballs will suddenly be at risk.

Anyway, I called my insurance and talked to them about my rate going up because of tickets and they told me it takes several to do it. Four in six years was not enough to make it happen, so I just pay and move on.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 02-28-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
OP:

skalberti outlined what a lawyer will do for you if you find a good one to hire. He'll also be using his connections at the court so make sure to seek out one from the county/ town where you got a summons in.
If they play ball, your ticket will be changed into another infraction carrying the same monetary fine but you'll get no points. The lawyer's fee should be 300-500.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea View Post
You still haven't told us what he wrote you for?

It's too bad you got caught. But you did. Once the ticket is written not a lot you can do about it. If you've got a relatively clean driving record (no tickets for 5-7 years, no accidents) don't even worry about it. I got nailed last year in VA 80+ in a 55, cop wrote me for 74 as a courtesy (which I thanked him for profusely because in VA 20+ over is wreckless. No increase in insurance rates and from what my agent tells me, if you've got a clean record, there's enough goodwill in the policy to handle one ticket - everyone makes a mistake once.
Shoulda called me I know a power lawyer in VA he gets everyone off..

The point isn't to eat the fine because you got caught, the point is to reduce it due to the laziness of the legal system.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Yeah.... the 23 NYPD officers and 37 Port Authority police officers that died trying to save people in the World Trade Center towers on 9/11 were just there to harass people.

Traffic citations are a pain and in many ways a way to generate revenue. But, there are many drivers out there that deserve to get a ticket for there traffic violations.

Haaaaaaaa...... I feel better now.
What are you talking about.. here in NY NYPD will do anything to make their quotas.. all generating money, courts work and make money, lawyers, and the entire system. Traffic violation in NYC is a must and you have to pay for NYC and then NY state again (Double pay), I never drive in the city, I always commute to be on the safe side!

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade

Last edited by ahmadddd; 02-28-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 AM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
Quote:
My previous posts on this topic lead to me being slammed for condoning speeding so I don't bother any more. At least not on this board.

Oh and yes - I don't believe there are any useful replies yet. There are better places to get expert responses on this topic from people who have mounted successful defenses.

I lived in Oklahoma for 12 years. Like I said, I've received 38 speeding tickets and one wreckless driving ticket over the course of 25 years. The car you drive matters not. You can get a speeding ticket in a Lamborghini as well as a Prius. The advice I gave earlier was used to keep my record clean for the past 25 years. I actually have a file in my office of most of the tickets received. The two tips I gave are free. They cost nothing other than the cost of the fine. Which in Oklahoma, unless he was going 15mph over the posted limit, the ticket should be less than $200. Ask for civil penalty or probation. Either way your out the same money, no lawyer fees, and a clean record. The civil penalty ticket posted was for 51 in a 35. Also keep a copy of your ticket and receipt showing payment. My mom a got ticket and paid it. 3 years later she got a warrant for her arrest (by mail) for non payment. Fortunately she had a copy of the cashed check showing it had been paid. Dam I shoulda been an attorney! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1393657665.728330.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	425518Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1393657708.993270.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	425520Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1393657749.743194.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	425521

Sent from

2015 X5D M Sport - Delivered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Old 03-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:

So, how is it really up there on Olympus? And, yes, I also post on the Porsche forums and used to post on the M forums. I like to think that it was/is "out of the box thinking" that makes it possible for me to own these types of cars.. As for the OP's problem, since his first post he really hasn't given us much to work with...I learned a long time ago that it isn't wise to throw darts in the dark.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus