Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix Msport
Hey Administrator can you delete my profile. The judging of people and harsh criticism of middle management is spoken form people with egos that place green paper ahead of everything and that typically end up alone in the end. A job has nothing to do with the fact that the ticket should be paid and you move on........ahh I love the typical 5'8 BMW owner that has no true self esteem.........
Old 03-01-2014, 04:04 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
A word of advice from experience. Never post a question about speeding or speeding tickets on the F10 forum.

Since this car, especially in 528i and 535i form also appeals to middle managers you will likely get the kind of lame responses you see from a a couple of the earlier responders on this thread. The trouble is these middle managers are used to following the rules and get shocked by the notion of breaking them.

You will find more out of the box thinkers on the Porsche and M forums since those cars tend to be out of the reach of middle managers.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Being someone who's gotten a speeding ticket in my 535i, and driven the speed limit, there's nothing "out of the box" when it comes to speeding. Many can perceive M and Porsche forums to be full of those same middle manager types you speak of, however with the addition of a sort of Napoleon-complex or chip-on-shoulder effect to the point of thinking "speeding is so kewwl mann, if you don't do it, urr so square".

When it comes to speeding, it's not only your business, it's everyone else's business because those actions involve everyone else.

There are two types of people who speed: The brash, self-entitled selfish who thinks that others on the road shant dare question their driving habits not to mention will cry and scoff at officers who righteously cite you for being reckless, or the realist who will or may do it, but acknowledge how irresponsible it can be thus understanding why others may give them grief over it, and will man up and pay the fine when they get a ticket.

I tend to fall in the latter. I drive in a way that people may consider somewhat "reckless" or "liberal" at times in my car, with a sharp enough driving skill where I feel I can safely get away with maneuvers others drivers don't do, though my extent of "high speed" is pretty moderate, save for a time or few where I couldn't help but enjoy the swift high speed pull this car is so good at, because A- I got a ticket already, and B- I think excessive speeds on public roadways are incredibly endangering and idiotic. The difference between me and others is that I accept that when I would do it, I'm doing something stupid, which in turns does at least force me to take relative precautions in comparison with someone who thinks that they're doing "nothing wrong".

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
When I got my one and only speeding ticket in my M6 (yes I was speeding but the cop was a total dick who seemed mad at the world that day) I paid it and thought I'd moved on...

Then having the 2 points on my record started to grate on my nerves. I took a 3 hour AAA driving class, had fun taking it, and actually learned some stuff that I was too arrogant to admit about my driving, lost those two points and also got a little savings on my insurance for the next 3 years.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
My previous posts on this topic lead to me being slammed for condoning speeding so I don't bother any more. At least not on this board.

Oh and yes - I don't believe there are any useful replies yet. There are better places to get expert responses on this topic from people who have mounted successful defenses.

I agree that I don't like it when people are slammed for "speeding". There is not a single person on this board who doesn't speed because one mph over the limit is speeding. I drive and ride my motorcycles WAY over the speed limit all the time on open back roads when there is not traffic and no threat to anyone else, so I agree with you on that.

As to your second response here, I will not argue that there may be ways of getting out of a ticket that are not being explored, but I still think there was some very good advice, including what I gave him in my first post. Every situation is different. In this case, the OP lives what, 1500 miles from the state he got the ticket in? That makes it pretty hard to fight without spending a fair amount of money, so to me the most efficient answer is to ask for "probation". The OP just wants to not get a speeding ticket on his record and did not seem concerned about the money. Probation is the easiest way to accomplish that.

If you stand by your post that M drivers have betting answers, than I'd be curious to know what you think those options are.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
When I got my one and only speeding ticket in my M6 (yes I was speeding but the cop was a total dick who seemed mad at the world that day) I paid it and thought I'd moved on...

Then having the 2 points on my record started to grate on my nerves. I took a 3 hour AAA driving class, had fun taking it, and actually learned some stuff that I was too arrogant to admit about my driving, lost those two points and also got a little savings on my insurance for the next 3 years.
Best post yet. Thanks!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 AM
Dark Knight

I also think that there's a big difference between "technical speeding" (80-95-ish for example, especially if keeping with traffic flow) and a more "reckless speeding", i.e "high speed runs" which piss me off whenever I see them posted as videos, weaving in and out of public traffic, etc. Not sure how laws separate this in different states, i.e which MPH dictates the difference between a slap on the wrist and a reckless driving measure. I do know that when I got my ticket, I was going over 100 MPH, saw the cop car way ahead, slowed down and by the time I passed him I was going 70-ish. He got me for mid 80's. He must have had the radar gun pointed much further out than his car was sitting.

Last edited by K-A; 03-01-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 AM
silberma1

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I find that the 5 series cars are very quite and provide a serene drive on the road so while driving on the highway it is easy to go over 80 MPH and not realize it. My solution is the go the I-Drive setting and put in a speed alert so that I don't inadvertently over speed.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by silberma View Post
I find that the 5 series cars are very quite and provide a serene drive on the road so while driving on the highway it is easy to go over 80 MPH and not realize it. My solution is the go the I-Drive setting and put in a speed alert so that I don't inadvertently over speed.
Agreed. This car is exceptionally hard to tell how fast you're going in. I have my limiter set to 84 MPH and if I'm not paying attention to my MPH on the HUD, I'm always shocked when it alerts me as in this car it feels like I'm crawling.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 AM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
day03tls

ahh I love the typical 5'8 BMW owner that has no true self esteem.........

Hey! I'm 6'4"

2015 X5D M Sport - Ordered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired

Last edited by skalberti; 03-01-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive M-Sport
Quote:
A word of advice from experience. Never post a question about speeding or speeding tickets on the F10 forum.

Since this car, especially in 528i and 535i form also appeals to middle managers you will likely get the kind of lame responses you see from a a couple of the earlier responders on this thread. The trouble is these middle managers are used to following the rules and get shocked by the notion of breaking them.

You will find more out of the box thinkers on the Porsche and M forums since those cars tend to be out of the reach of middle managers.

"out of the box" thinker indeed.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:

What an arrogant and, uninformed, and uninformative post. Maybe you could post what your obviously superior and out of the box thinking could do for the OP?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Don't take it too seriously, you don't know Stealth (I do).... he would say you are proving his point, ah!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post
Don't take it too seriously, you don't know Stealth (I do).... he would say you are proving his point, ah!

Yeah they are proving my point.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

They gave you the discount only because they give discounts for taking those classes not because you had a point reduction. To the best of my knowledge, insurance companies look at actual convictions and the severity of the offense and they usually do so when you obtain a new policy.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Speed's mentor...

Mein Auto: 650i, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I used to live in OK. Call the court clerk and ask for probation if you have a clean record. If your record is clean. Go 6 months without a ticket and then it will be removed from your record. Sometimes you still pay the fine, but at least your insurance won't catch wind of it. If they won't allow that. Ask if you can just pay a civil penalty. With that you just pay the fine and it's stricken from your record. Just remember the cops want the revenue and you don't want your insurance to know about it. So these are two win win options. I've had 38 speeding tickets and I have a clean record. If they won't allow those two options, PM me and I'll give you some more advice. I won't post on the forums cause I get a lot of backlash.

+1 this man knows what he's talking about. Follow his advice. The only thing I would add is, take care of this immediately or sooner. Do not wait until the minute to try to get an answer, it will only complicate your position.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Dark Knight

Here's some "out of the box" thinking, since everyone here talks of "out of the box" thinking but we're not getting anywhere with it....

Find out if the officer has a child who's of school age. If so, request a trial (if the officer doesn't show up, you automatically get away with it), then find out his phone number. On the day of the trial, have your wife/girlfriend call him posing as the school nurse, to say that his daughter/son isn't feeling well and needs to be picked up.

Or, if you you've gone so out of the box you wanna go full blown Heisenberg. Make that same call, except this time pretend that his wife is in the hospital due to a car crash. Guaranteed no show to the trial. It bought Walter White some time after all (until his antics were realized much later and he got clocked in the face for it ).

Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post
Yes, I think many of the F10 forum veterans know with whom we are dealing. Stealth's BMW Welt delivery pic (below) could help frame his comments for our newer members.

Anyway, there has been plenty of great advice here. In my experience, if you can't talk your way out or negotiate down during the ticket write-up, then there is the lawyer option and/or the forgiveness (traffic school) option. An actual out-of-the-box thinker would suggest something out-of-the-box, maybe something like spreading eight digits of political contributions over a few years and then asking for a Presidential pardon.

For a speeding ticket, I would go with the pay the fine and ask for forgiveness route to erase the points. We have plenty of points-free speed cameras around here, so its a no brainer just to pay the fine (at least I get souvenir pictures of my car). For a more serious violation, I would lawyer up. I got a reckless driving ticket in VA for doing only 84 in a 70 two years ago. I probably drive through a speed trap with a higher differential than that close to once a week. The speed cameras here catch the trivial speeders like me, and the officers are looking for the serious spreaders like my friend [censored ] who frequents this board. Just to calibrate things here, I got pulled over at 30 over and only received a verbal warning. Back on topic, for the reckless driving ticket, I hired a local lawyer and he explained what that judge needed to hear in order to ensure the State got its money and my driving record remained clean. There was no need to physically go to court - just the need to send money.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 03-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:

Man this is harsh. I actually do some white collar criminal defense and have seen a lot of outside-the-box defenses, but many times the best advice is to admit it and move on, particularly where the cost and effort in fighting will not likely change the outcome. Larry Ellison pays his speeding tickets.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:

Greatest post I've ever read on this site... Hands down

The finger wagging that can take place around here is funny to say the least lol the guy isn't saying poor me poor me, he's saying whats the best course of action to keep my record clean and I'm sorry but paying the fine and being shamed is not it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xdamages View Post
Man this is harsh. I actually do some white collar criminal defense and have seen a lot of outside-the-box defenses, but many times the best advice is to admit it and move on, particularly where the cost and effort in fighting will not likely change the outcome. Larry Ellison pays his speeding tickets.
I'd pay 700 bucks on a 200 dollar ticket and 10 dollar increase to have it clean, so the next time I got one they'd think it was my first

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-01-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post

I've never really agreed with the general sentiment that tickets are for revenue. I can't imagine most cities could give out enough tickets to cover the cost of the officers, patrol cars, and so forth. Maybe in a very small town or something, but probably not most cities. I regard it more as a power play or empire building more than anything.
Tickets are not for raising revenue??? Here is but one example of one police officer collecting between $600,000 and $750,000 in revenue by writing tickets. Calgary is a town of a million plus. Most municipalities dedicate officers to do nothing but raise revenue. http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/02/06...tickets-a-year
Old 03-01-2014, 11:57 AM
OZG F10

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I used to live in OK. Call the court clerk and ask for probation if you have a clean record. If your record is clean. Go 6 months without a ticket and then it will be removed from your record. Sometimes you still pay the fine, but at least your insurance won't catch wind of it. If they won't allow that. Ask if you can just pay a civil penalty. With that you just pay the fine and it's stricken from your record. Just remember the cops want the revenue and you don't want your insurance to know about it. So these are two win win options. I've had 38 speeding tickets and I have a clean record. If they won't allow those two options, PM me and I'll give you some more advice. I won't post on the forums cause I get a lot of backlash.

Could you please pm me how is it possible that you had 38 ticketsand a clean record? i had only one single speeding ticket 3 years ago (a 27mph in a 25mph zone) and it is still in my record!

13 BMW F10 535i RWD - 3.0 L 221 kW (300 hp) Bone stock except NAVI,PDC,Cam,Tint,Coded,HID Fogs,Debadged,Spoiler,BMS Stg1
07 BMW E64 630i - 3.0 L 200 kW (272 hp)
03 BMW E65 745i - 4.4 L V8, 242 kW (325 hp)
98 BMW E39 535i - 3.5 L 183 kW (245 hp)
95 BMW E34 540i - 4.0 L V8 210 kW (282 hp)
89 BMW E30 M3 non-cat 147 kW (200 hp)

15 MB W222 S550 4-Matic on order
10 Infiniti G37x Sedan
09 Mercedes C 350
08 Infiniti G35x Sedan
04 Mercedes CLK 350
01 Mercedes C 230
Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Yes, I think many of the F10 forum veterans know with whom we are dealing. Stealth's BMW Welt delivery pic (below) could help frame his comments for our newer members.

Anyway, there has been plenty of great advice here. In my experience, if you can't talk you way out or negotiate down during the ticket write-up, then there is the lawyer option and/or the forgiveness (traffic school) option. An actual out-of-the-box thinker would suggest something out-of-the-box, maybe something like spreading eight digits of political contributions over a few years and then asking for a Presidential pardon.

For a speeding ticket, I would go with the pay the fine and ask for forgiveness route to erase the points. We have plenty of points-free speed cameras around here, so its a no brainer just to pay the fine (at least I get souvenir pictures of my car). For a more serious violation, I would lawyer up. I got a reckless driving ticket in VA for doing only 84 in a 70 two years ago. I probably drive through a speed trap with a higher differential than that close to once a week. The speed cameras here catch the trivial speeders like me, and the officers are looking for the serious spreaders like my friend [censored ] who frequents this board. Just to calibrate things here, I got pulled over at 30 over and only received a verbal warning. Back on topic, for the reckless driving ticket, I hired a local lawyer and he explained what that judge needed to hear in order to ensure the State got its money and my driving record remained clean. There was no need to physically go to court - just the need to send money.
And some more prespective on who your dealing with here are some exact quotes of his

"I am a multi-millionaire. When I bought my 2014 I could have bought any of the RS7, M5, E63 or Panamera Turbo"

"Sounds like you couldn't really afford the car.

I hate it when poor people buy things they can barely afford and then spend months bitching "

And yes, there are many more examples. He is an arrogant a$$ who seems to think that ones worth is simply in his net worth. He will not miss an opportunity to remind you how rich he is and how poor you are. Seems like a nice guy
Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
They gave you the discount only because they give discounts for taking those classes not because you had a point reduction. To the best of my knowledge, insurance companies look at actual convictions and the severity of the offense and they usually do so when you obtain a new policy.
Of course I know that it was because I took the driving course, not because I got rid of my points, I would think that is easy to figure out without saying.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
And some more prespective on who your dealing with here are some exact quotes of his

"I am a multi-millionaire. When I bought my 2014 I could have bought any of the RS7, M5, E63 or Panamera Turbo"

"Sounds like you couldn't really afford the car.

I hate it when poor people buy things they can barely afford and then spend months bitching "

And yes, there are many more examples. He is an arrogant a$$ who seems to think that ones worth is simply in his net worth. He will not miss an opportunity to remind you how rich he is and how poor you are. Seems like a nice guy
I hate it when people think that because they are richer than others that makes them smarter than others. He does have a nice car though.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Who stealth? I don't get that vibe from him EVER... He's helped me on plenty of occasions from when I was in a lowly used 335i to my m3, e60 m5, and now m5 and I'll be asking him for help when my m4 comes and I need sensor placement ideas

He's just saying people need to get some perspective when they freakout over what someone else is doing... I mean seriously I'm sure half the people in here giving the OP s* have been distracted by kids, texts, eating, etc. while driving but this guy is the devil for a speeding ticket lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
and the officers are looking for the serious spreaders like my friend [censored ] who frequents this board.
I think I know that guy He's kind of backed off a little since the story he told you privately

He's in no rush to be handcuffed again anytime soon