Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauicoug View Post
I have been refraining from commenting, due to my law enforcement background....but, after reading all of this drivel and self serving I beat the system BS.... Let me start out by saying, I hate writing traffic citations and I only write well deserved violations. The end result of any fines, has always gone to the entity's general fund, not to the police dept. I think the op, got a whopper one, for extreme speed and doesn't like the consequences. I am not familiar with OK traffic laws, but, many times if you appear in Court and plead mitigation, the Judge may reduce the charge and fine...especially if you have a clean driving record.

I have been to plenty of accidents, where excessive speed was the primary cause for the crash. If you want to speed, then suck it up and pay the consequences...I amazed at the sense of entitlement of some people on this board. Lastly, as a cop, I have given 5 times as many verbal warnings as cites....try to imagine the dark side of what we have to deal with every day, the domestic violence cases, burglaries and the other sad events that occur day after day in our society.
Thank you!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauicoug View Post
I have been refraining from commenting, due to my law enforcement background....but, after reading all of this drivel and self serving I beat the system BS.... Let me start out by saying, I hate writing traffic citations and I only write well deserved violations. The end result of any fines, has always gone to the entity's general fund, not to the police dept. I think the op, got a whopper one, for extreme speed and doesn't like the consequences. I am not familiar with OK traffic laws, but, many times if you appear in Court and plead mitigation, the Judge may reduce the charge and fine...especially if you have a clean driving record.

I have been to plenty of accidents, where excessive speed was the primary cause for the crash. If you want to speed, then suck it up and pay the consequences...I amazed at the sense of entitlement of some people on this board. Lastly, as a cop, I have given 5 times as many verbal warnings as cites....try to imagine the dark side of what we have to deal with every day, the domestic violence cases, burglaries and the other sad events that occur day after day in our society.
Good post. By nature, we all watch out for ourselves and try to avoid being penalized for our own actions to the best of our abilities, however there's an important psychological measure which humanity has to take for our species to progress: Accountability and acceptance for what ones actions imply and can result in. The worst is when people try and justify idiotic, potentially harmful, reckless, irresponsible, careless, etc. actions.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
So you are saying that thinking out of the box as an executive is hiring an attorney to get rid of a speeding ticket? I've done that twice over the years - and I've been in middle management for most of my years. Nothing special there.
Nothing special there 'cos you didn't give up which is exactly what the OP is probably considering and I recommended.

Quote:
I thought of this yesterday. Despite being a lowly middle manager, I have been pulled over five times in the past ten years for speeding. All have been in either my Corvettes or on very fast motorcycles. The result? Four of the times I didn't even get a ticket - got a warning. The fifth one was a ticket that I should have never gotten - I was actually below the speed limit but got a ticket in a construction zone should have never been written - a traffic attorney did get that wiped out.
I have been a mid level manager for the past 15 years. Unless I work for a F500 company, a VP is considered mid management. As far as founding a company goes, I went without any income for almost 2 years and put in a lot of sweat and almost all my reserves including maxing out on my HELOC. Fortunately, my wife is gainfully employed so we were able to scrape through until investors came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
In a Stealth-esque world, you, despite your success, are just a poor schmuck who only can't afford to drive a proper sports sedan, like best car in the world: the ///M5. In this alternative world, one's success is measured solely upon the car one drives and the size of the investment account statement that one brings to the car dealership to prove that one qualified to test drive a worthy car. I'm not that creative , so no, I didn't make that up.
I don't consider myself successful as yet in my career. I would consider myself successful when I am fully financially independent and can confidently be able to maintain my lifestyle without working for the rest of my life and meeting my other responsibilities towards my children etc. Until I achieve that, I have ways to go. BTW, I will probably still continue to work as I like to create things and impact people's lives in a positive manner.

Also, I don't think I will ever get an M5. Don't get me wrong - I have driven one and it is a great car but other things in my life appeal to me more towards which I would channel my disposable income. To each his own here.

I want to add that I have never been a reckless driver. All my traffic citations were infractions and never beyond that.

Quote:
The list can go on ad nauseam (maybe it already did), but fundamental point is that we are all different and should take a moment to consider what the "other guy" will think when one posts demeaning statements with respect to money, jobs, and the like.

P.S. The impact of Points are like Fuel Economy numbers. When the total costs are calculated, the actual impact maybe isn't quite as big as some people think.
My statement was about an attitude or giving in versus standing up for oneself. There is no reason to make insurance companies richer and add points to one's driving record. In the long run, it may not save too much money but it is nice to have safety net of a clean record.

I will be more alert with my statements to ensure that it does not get misinterpreted. Thank you for pointing this out to me. I appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Good post. By nature, we all watch out for ourselves and try to avoid being penalized for our own actions to the best of our abilities, however there's an important psychological measure which humanity has to take for our species to progress: Accountability and acceptance for what ones actions imply and can result in. The worst is when people try and justify idiotic, potentially harmful, reckless, irresponsible, careless, etc. actions.
I don't see anyone trying to justify speeding and as a routine offender of using the power my car produces, I wouldn't go into a situation saying poor me its the cops fault, but if there are cracks in the system to reduce the pain and suffering of my actions it would be foolish not to take advantage of those opportunities. Same way our officer friend puts his life on the line for our safety and is rewarded with lower pay then he rightly deserves... Should I turn down stock moves that will pay off because its easy to do/ take advantage of because someone else has it harder?

Sorry but suck up and eat it isn't the answer especially if there are avenues to lessen that hit (lawyer).

That said the one ticket I got and tried to go before the judge and admit guilt hoping my clean record and apology would spare (and lets be real I was going to do it again no matter what the outcome was) or get it somewhat reduced he looked at the car I was in [m3], age, and 20 over and said I'll reduce your fine by 50 bucks ($300 and I'd wasted 5hrs there.. smh) but keep the points... LMAO meanwhile chicks in juicy sweat pants and scruffy dudes in baggy clothes were getting points cut in half, or Probation before judgement with fines cut in half. I decided from that point on any other time I have a run in, I'll spend 10x the amount to win.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-02-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Sejanus

Everyone gets to play the game differently. I began my career as a criminal defense lawyer and I'll tell you that it isn't just the judge who doesn't want his/her time wasted, but also the courtroom clerk. If all one has to offer is "begging for mercy", then diversion is the best route. In such cases, you/your attorney works with the prosecutor to enter a diversion program for a reduced sentence. The variables there, in cases of speeding, would depend on the offense (simple speeding versus reckless), priors and, sometimes, age. Sometimes, a reasonable explanation, like sickness or family emergency, will mitigate. Remember, people in this business have heard every BS excuse in the book, so not insulting their intelligence counts.

-Morpheus
Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I don't see anyone trying to justify speeding and as a routine offender of using the power my car produces, I wouldn't go into a situation saying poor me its the cops fault, but if there are cracks in the system to reduce the pain and suffering of my actions it would be foolish not to take advantage of those opportunities. Same way our officer friend puts his life on the line for our safety and is rewarded with lower pay then he rightly deserves... Should I turn down stock moves that will pay off because its easy to do/ take advantage of because someone else has it harder?

Sorry but suck up and eat it isn't the answer especially if there are avenues to lessen that hit (lawyer).

That said the one ticket I got and tried to go before the judge and admit guilt hoping my clean record and apology would spare (and lets be real I was going to do it again no matter what the outcome was) or get it somewhat reduced he looked at the car I was in [m3], age, and 20 over and said I'll reduce your fine by 50 bucks ($300 and I'd wasted 5hrs there.. smh) but keep the points... LMAO meanwhile chicks in juicy sweat pants and scruffy dudes in baggy clothes were getting points cut in half, or Probation before judgement with fines cut in half. I decided from that point on any other time I have a run in, I'll spend 10x the amount to win.
Yeah, that's what I basically mean. Any smart person will take advantage of whatever means attainable to lessen their risk or maximize their reward. However, that's much different than a sense of entitlement and diffusing blame to the wrong party/s. Also, on a moral ground, and I use that word in a literal sense i.e intelligence mixed with respect and consideration for others, some people need to be less ignorant in terms of their denying the harm their actions threaten toward others. I do lots of stupid stuff, but I try and even judge myself with an open mind, as it's the only way you can assess, learn and improve.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X-Drive
This thread cracks me up.

So. These senior exec high dollar types have it figured out and the rest of us don't. I wonder if the logic they apply to traffic laws is the same logic they use when the explain to their stock holders....wasn't me.

To the guy who basically posted his resume. Too funny. Insecure much?

I worked my way from the bottom to the exec team and back to the middle for a little humble pie. I also had the pleasure of owning a Porsche and I can tell you if I got nailed for speeding in that ride I'd be just as likely to pay the ticket. It's not the end of the world and I got to my station in life fessing up to my own mistakes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
1998 Tiara 3500 Open (Cummins Diesels)

Previous Rides:
2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
2008 VW Passat
2007 Benz C class Sport
2006 Dodge Ram 2500
2001 Z06
1999 Dodge Ram
1996 Corvette rag top
1998 Lexus GS300
etc...
Old 03-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea View Post

So. These senior exec high dollar types have it figured out and the rest of us don't. I wonder if the logic they apply to traffic laws is the same logic they use when the explain to their stock holders....wasn't me.

I worked my way from the bottom to the exec team and back to the middle for a little humble pie. I also had the pleasure of owning a Porsche and I can tell you if I got nailed for speeding in that ride I'd be just as likely to pay the ticket. It's not the end of the world and I got to my station in life fessing up to my own mistakes.

Well said. Nothing handed to me either and I try to own what I do.

-Morpheus
Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea View Post

Let me add one tidbit that I really like…."everyone is smart and everyone is stupid, just in different subjects". That applies to EVERYONE, even top executives. I've rubbed elbows with some CEO's of fortune 500 companies. I could never do what they do, but they probably can't do some things I can do either. And I don't measure success by how much money or power someone has.

Last edited by jjsC6; 03-02-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Sejanus

Quote:

Let me add one tidbit that I really like…."everyone is smart and everyone is stupid, just in different subjects". That applies to EVERYONE, even top executives. I've rubbed elbows with some CEO's of fortune 500 companies. I could never do what they do, but they probably can't do some things I can do either. And I don't measure success by how much money or power someone has.
Then, of course, there's Donald Trump who knows everything and never makes mistakes.

-Morpheus
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Sometimes, a reasonable explanation, like sickness or family emergency, will mitigate. Remember, people in this business have heard every BS excuse in the book, so not insulting their intelligence counts.
Exactly which is why I stood up said I was sorry [ I wasn't actually sorry lol... Lets be real], and that I took the driving class online with print out... Instead the guy with the south park shirt on and sweat pants got his PBJ doing 5mph over what I was and he just went "Uhh Derrrr I was lost", I got 50 bucks off 5 hrs of my life wasted and 3 points lmao so I will use and abuse every legally acceptable avenue available to me, not because I don't accept the consequences of my actions, but because going against what I already knew that its better to play the games then just stand up their like a fool and leave it up to one guys judgement (and being in an suit on, having m3 next to your age appears to be a negative), isn't the smart move.

Watching people say I had to pee, or I dunno and get points off/ or dismissed vs. just saying sorry and taking a driving class and eating points [the 300 is nothing... I'd have paid 5000 to not be inconvenienced by any of it lol... entitlement right there ] has opened my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
some people need to be less ignorant in terms of their denying the harm their actions threaten toward others. I do lots of stupid stuff, but I try and even judge myself with an open mind, as it's the only way you can assess, learn and improve.
Very true... Reckless speeding is reckless speeding regardless of 1am or 5pm in rush hour. And while I'm more than happy to argue the differences I would consider acceptable like 1am vs. 5pm in rush hour while texting and eating a burger or something they're both a risk to the public, and if you hurt someone be prepared to pay a MASSIVE price.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-02-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Even if you get a ticket you felt was wrong and you didn't deserve, think of how many times you were breaking the law and didn't get caught. When you get a ticket think of that...

Everyone always a victim...
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirror Glass|Coded
BMW CCA member

Last edited by ausdude; 03-02-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
Even if you get a ticket you felt was wrong and you didn't deserve, think of how many times you were breaking the law and didn't get caught. When you get a ticket of that.

Everyone always a victim...
This is SOOOO true.

And I am a victim clearly the officer hated me and my car. PERSECUTION.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F10

******** async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">*********>
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F10
Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
A word of advice from experience. Never post a question about speeding or speeding tickets on the F10 forum.

Since this car, especially in 528i and 535i form also appeals to middle managers you will likely get the kind of lame responses you see from a a couple of the earlier responders on this thread. The trouble is these middle managers are used to following the rules and get shocked by the notion of breaking them.

You will find more out of the box thinkers on the Porsche and M forums since those cars tend to be out of the reach of middle managers.

Just had to respond on this one, what a " DB answer "
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
And some more prespective on who your dealing with here are some exact quotes of his

"I am a multi-millionaire. When I bought my 2014 I could have bought any of the RS7, M5, E63 or Panamera Turbo"

"Sounds like you couldn't really afford the car.

I hate it when poor people buy things they can barely afford and then spend months bitching "

And yes, there are many more examples. He is an arrogant a$$ who seems to think that ones worth is simply in his net worth. He will not miss an opportunity to remind you how rich he is and how poor you are. Seems like a nice guy
Touche, enjoy the pajamas he has on . Truth be told, is he related to that someone on the F30 forum ???

Last edited by ductman; 03-04-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato2 View Post

******** async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">*********>
Or, are having to drive in extremely hazardous road conditions.

-Morpheus
Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Sejanus

I recall being stopped for speeding many years ago by P.G. County Police. I live in Montgomery County, which adjoins P.G. So, the officer pulls me over, walks up to my window, and asks whether I know why he stopped me. I said something like, probably because I was going too fast. He issued me a warning and told me that was because I was honest with him...he also said he particularly did not like it when drivers answered "they did not know why they were being stopped (when they had been speeding)" to that question.

-Morpheus
Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
A word of advice from experience. Never post a question about speeding or speeding tickets on the F10 forum.

Since this car, especially in 528i and 535i form also appeals to middle managers you will likely get the kind of lame responses you see from a a couple of the earlier responders on this thread. The trouble is these middle managers are used to following the rules and get shocked by the notion of breaking them.

You will find more out of the box thinkers on the Porsche and M forums since those cars tend to be out of the reach of middle managers.

Here's a word of advice for our OP.

If you want to drive fast - sign up for track events and perhaps a visit to your local autocross.

Pay the fine and move on with your life (and slow down) - and pay no attention to the ridiculous "advice" given by the poster quoted above

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Who stealth? I don't get that vibe from him EVER... He's helped me on plenty of occasions from when I was in a lowly used 335i to my m3, e60 m5, and now m5 and I'll be asking him for help when my m4 comes and I need sensor placement ideas

He's just saying people need to get some perspective when they freakout over what someone else is doing... I mean seriously I'm sure half the people in here giving the OP s* have been distracted by kids, texts, eating, etc. while driving but this guy is the devil for a speeding ticket lmao.

I think I know that guy He's kind of backed off a little since the story he told you privately

He's in no rush to be handcuffed again anytime soon :rofl
:
I see it finally happened. I do not know the dirty details, but I did notice that you have not been talking about "taking it to the max everyday" so I sort of assumed that something happened to slow you down.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
OP should get an OK traffic lawyer.
THANK YOU. There are two other lawyers that posted in this thread (I am one too) and I was WAITING for someone to say this. The best advice anyone can give the OP is to consult with a lawyer that does traffic court all the time. You need someone who knows the judge, knows the prosecutor (if there is one) and knows the local court system so that person can give you advice that is appropriately tailored to the jurisdiction where you got your ticket. I am not going to get into my own experiences, but I will tell you that the person who represents himself has a fool for a client (all of the lawyers will get that line).
Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
True.When I had an office in South Georgia about 2 years ago, I used to get tickets in Dooley and Cook Counties and there was an attorney in that area who used to get them thrown out for $300 a pop and I never had to show up. It was worth every penny and it was my insurance to always enjoy my car
Wise man my friend.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
In a Stealth-esque world, you, despite your success, are just a poor schmuck who only can't afford to drive a proper sports sedan, like best car in the world: the ///M5. In this alternative world, one's success is measured solely upon the car one drives and the size of the investment account statement that one brings to the car dealership to prove that one qualified to test drive a worthy car. I'm not that creative , so no, I didn't make that up.

As far as his post, I believe it does not have any merit at all. I have worked with people at all income levels and stations in life and out-of-the-box thinking is not the exclusive domain of wealthy or the Porsche/M5 driver, which by the way are the cars of choice for plenty of middle managers. Heck, one of my non-degreed computer techs drives an M5.

Anyway, this is a car forum. More specifically, this is a BMW F10 forum. We come here because we share ownership or interest in this automobile. We come from diverse backgrounds and from around the world. Some of us are young and some of us are old. Some of us can barely afford our lease payments and some of us see the cost as a drop in the bucket. Some of us drive conservatively and some of use drive like maniacs. Some of us change our oil every 3kmi and some of us change it every 19kmi. The list can go on ad nauseam (maybe it already did), but fundamental point is that we are all different and should take a moment to consider what the "other guy" will think when one posts demeaning statements with respect to money, jobs, and the like.

P.S. The impact of Points are like Fuel Economy numbers. When the total costs are calculated, the actual impact maybe isn't quite as big as some people think.
Now this is an excellent and accurate post. Well said my friend, well said.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I recall being stopped for speeding many years ago by P.G. County Police. I live in Montgomery County, which adjoins P.G. So, the officer pulls me over, walks up to my window, and asks whether I know why he stopped me. I said something like, probably because I was going too fast. He issued me a warning and told me that was because I was honest with him...he also said he particularly did not like it when drivers answered "they did not know why they were being stopped (when they had been speeding)" to that question.
Honesty has led to a warning for me as well. BS excuses do not work with cops because they have heard them all. A great story: A friend of mine, a fellow lawyer, was pulled over in D.C. a few years back (we were both in law school at the time). As soon as he stopped he whipped out his wallet and pulled out his license and insurance card. Rolled down the window and before the cop could say a word he handed over the license and insurance card. Cop did not say a word and took the documents. Cop came back 10 minutes later after running the license and said to my friend "I am giving you a warning because you did not BS me" and cop walked away. My friend did not utter one statement during the entire traffic stop. I think this story helps to reinforce Leslie's point.....