Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Now this is an excellent and accurate post. Well said my friend, well said.
This is Dunderhi in his best form, luckily for argument sake, he sometimes is a player in threads making remarks not of this high quality.
So will we ask for a max speeding fine poll now, not on sig name but on type of car driven?

About the Q of the OP, I would pay and forget it, but, that is easy, the probably only good thing in Dutch cardriving is the still missing dreaded point sytem.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
While I am not a lawyer, I know the value of a good one. As others have said, get a lawyer specializing in traffic violations local to the jurisdiction. There may be things such as probation, court supervision, civil penalties, etc that you can get. If it was a serious violation, they can probably help you plead to a lower charge.

One more thing, police are there not to give you grief, but to act as one barrier to help prevent accidents. Unfortunately, they are also the ones who are usually first on scene to serious accidents and have seen things as a result of those accidents that no one should have to see. They are not there to give you a hard time, but to try and ensure that the next time they see you, it won't be when you are involved in an accident and someone (you or someone else) in in such a condition to give them nightmares.
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8
Old 03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
A great story: A friend of mine, a fellow lawyer, was pulled over in D.C. a few years back (we were both in law school at the time).
Did you attend law school in D.C.? I was GULC Class of `80.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Honesty has led to a warning for me as well. BS excuses do not work with cops because they have heard them all. A great story: A friend of mine, a fellow lawyer, was pulled over in D.C. a few years back (we were both in law school at the time). As soon as he stopped he whipped out his wallet and pulled out his license and insurance card. Rolled down the window and before the cop could say a word he handed over the license and insurance card. Cop did not say a word and took the documents. Cop came back 10 minutes later after running the license and said to my friend "I am giving you a warning because you did not BS me" and cop walked away. My friend did not utter one statement during the entire traffic stop. I think this story helps to reinforce Leslie's point.....
Knowing the proper "etiquette" when being pulled over can really go a long way in getting you some mercy. That's a good idea bout pulling out the license and insurance card before he/she even gets to your window, however only issue with that is being how cops are naturally always on alert, if you're spotted reaching into your pocket or into your glovebox (insurance card) you might get him approaching you with his gun out (or worse).

Windows down and hands on the wheel is always rule #1, everybody should do it when they get pulled over.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
I see it finally happened. I do not know the dirty details, but I did notice that you have not been talking about "taking it to the max everyday" so I sort of assumed that something happened to slow you down.
Any details of any misdeeds have been purged from the servers. Do not pursue your inquests any further. You have been warned.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
This is Dunderhi in his best form, luckily for argument sake, he sometimes is a player in threads making remarks not of this high quality.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I have been both complimented and insulted. So, I will need to say in my defense: You take the good. You take the the bad. Take them both and then you have the facts of life. I wonder if that translates well in the Nederlands?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I have been both complimented and insulted. So, I will need to say in my defense: You take the good. You take the the bad. Take them both and then you have the facts of life. I wonder if that translates well in the Nederlands?
Ok Mrs. Garrett

Ok, and K-A, remember to turn the interior light on as well if it's dark...
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8
Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Maybe in the US it is not allowed to step out of the car, I will always try that and introduce myself by offering a handshake with my fellow human being. Allthough a law officer human after all. The biggest fine I ever got was doing over two hundred in the final week of ownership of my first BMW one easter morning on an empty stretch of highway 100 km per hour zone. They got me just by chance from far behind and let me go with a 145, only 45 km over the limit, so no judge affair or license trouble, fine, over 500 dollar it was I believe. I forgot ASAP, with after handshaking and being polite with the officer is the best advice I can give. Be polite, pay, get out of other trouble and forget....
But who is Mrs. Garrett, couldn't google her and please do not feel insulted by lowland remarks, especially those from Nederland.

Last edited by Sophisto; 03-04-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 AM

Sometimes the cop will ask you to step out, but typically, if you step out, they see that as a more threatening situation...especially during a traffic stop. Aas K-A said, here in the US, it's best to roll down the window and keep both hands on the steering wheel (as well as turn the interior lights on) as that way the officer can see your hands and knows your are not holding a weapon. This eases up on their tension during the stop. That said, the goal is to lessen the tension of the stop and while what you do in the Netherlands may be slightly different than what occurs in the US, it looks like your actions are trying do the same thing in the way that is appropriate in your culture. Common courtesies such as pulling as far over as you can to allow the officer room on the shoulder, so they are not in as much danger of being hit by other traffic, etc also help.

As for the Mrs. Garrett remark, dunderhi was quoting part of the lyrics to the theme song from a US TV sitcom called The Facts of Life which was a spin-off from the TV show Diff'rent Strokes (one of the shows that made Gary Coleman a star). The main character was a Mrs. Garrett who was a mentor for a class in a girls boarding school who dispensed motherly wisdom.
Retired
Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
THANK YOU. There are two other lawyers that posted in this thread (I am one too) and I was WAITING for someone to say this. The best advice anyone can give the OP is to consult with a lawyer that does traffic court all the time. You need someone who knows the judge, knows the prosecutor (if there is one) and knows the local court system so that person can give you advice that is appropriately tailored to the jurisdiction where you got your ticket. I am not going to get into my own experiences, but I will tell you that the person who represents himself has a fool for a client (all of the lawyers will get that line).
Ding. Ding. Ding.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Got a Speeding ticket in OK, don't know how fast I was going, any good lawyers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Did you attend law school in D.C.? I was GULC Class of `80.

I did. Graduated from CUA in 99.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 03-05-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Any details of any misdeeds have been purged from the servers. Do not pursue your inquests any further. You have been warned.

He sent me a PM with the Cliff's Notes version of what happened. He is one lucky guy.....

Old 03-05-2014, 04:16 AM
East Coast Commuter

Got a Speeding ticket in OK, don't know how fast I was going, any good lawyers?

Delete. Double post.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 03-05-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:24 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
I did. Graduated from CUA in 99.

Very nice Catholic schools both!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
But who is Mrs. Garrett, couldn't google her and please do not feel insulted by lowland remarks, especially those from Nederland.
Stonehauler already answered your question, but since I was allowed to swerve off-topic I'll keep going to see if I run afoul of the law.

As with the great Ginger vs. Mary Ann (Gilligan's Island) debate, the Fact's of Life also had the Blair (2nd from left) vs Jo (2nd from right) debate.

I was a Mary Ann guy (well uh, kid), so Jo was my obvious choice, but Blair's big 1980's hair...

Yes officer, I admit I seriously went off topic, but I'm suffering from Island Fever. I'll step away from the computer and head out to the beach (more to follow on a new thread I'll start tonight.).

Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Haven't read through all the righteousness in this thread, but why don't you just hire a traffic attorney? Here's one in california for example that's always plugged on a podcast i listen to:
http://www.4mrticket.com/
Old 03-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Maybe in the US it is not allowed to step out of the car, I will always try that and introduce myself by offering a handshake with my fellow human being. Allthough a law officer human after all. The biggest fine I ever got was doing over two hundred in the final week of ownership of my first BMW one easter morning on an empty stretch of highway 100 km per hour zone. They got me just by chance from far behind and let me go with a 145, only 45 km over the limit, so no judge affair or license trouble, fine, over 500 dollar it was I believe. I forgot ASAP, with after handshaking and being polite with the officer is the best advice I can give. Be polite, pay, get out of other trouble and forget....
Wow, much different out here. If you get out of your car during a traffic stop, especially before the cop even approaches your window, you might get shot. Put your hand out to shake his without any forewarning, and that hand will be in cuffs.

When I was in Paris, I was shocked at how much the Police there are pansies. They have basically no authority or get no respect. I'd see a cop car or ambulance with sirens full blast, get PURPOSELY blocked off by traffic, as if the civilian drivers were just chuckling at doing it because they can. They officers wouldn't even do as much as yell at the cars blocking them, they'd just sit there and wait as if they have no other choice but to accept it.

My cousin who's a taxi cab driver there was telling me how he wanted to get more power out of his Benz so he could "outrun Police better". When I asked "WTF are you talking about?" he said, very casually "yeah, like when the police pull you over and you run away from them.... what? You guys don't do that in the U.S?!" He was literally shocked that running away from police out here is like one of the worst offenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Sometimes the cop will ask you to step out, but typically, if you step out, they see that as a more threatening situation...especially during a traffic stop. Aas K-A said, here in the US, it's best to roll down the window and keep both hands on the steering wheel (as well as turn the interior lights on) as that way the officer can see your hands and knows your are not holding a weapon. This eases up on their tension during the stop. That said, the goal is to lessen the tension of the stop and while what you do in the Netherlands may be slightly different than what occurs in the US, it looks like your actions are trying do the same thing in the way that is appropriate in your culture. Common courtesies such as pulling as far over as you can to allow the officer room on the shoulder, so they are not in as much danger of being hit by other traffic, etc also help.

As for the Mrs. Garrett remark, dunderhi was quoting part of the lyrics to the theme song from a US TV sitcom called The Facts of Life which was a spin-off from the TV show Diff'rent Strokes (one of the shows that made Gary Coleman a star). The main character was a Mrs. Garrett who was a mentor for a class in a girls boarding school who dispensed motherly wisdom.
Yeah I got reamed by the officer who pulled me over last time for that very reason. I didn't pull far enough into the shoulder, or picked too narrow of a shoulder and he had to come to my passenger side door, and gave me a lesson on how pulling over like I did could put him at risk of getting mangled.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

Yeah I got reamed by the officer who pulled me over last time for that very reason. I didn't pull far enough into the shoulder, or picked too narrow of a shoulder and he had to come to my passenger side door, and gave me a lesson on how pulling over like I did could put him at risk of getting mangled.
Shoulda said at least I'd have gotten outta this ticket
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Dark Knight

Lol. I already had that joke in my head, but didn't want to test the waters.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Another classic is "do you know how fast I had to go to catch you?"

Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Quote:
In a Stealth-esque world, you, despite your success, are just a poor schmuck who only can't afford to drive a proper sports sedan, like best car in the world: the ///M5. In this alternative world, one's success is measured solely upon the car one drives and the size of the investment account statement that one brings to the car dealership to prove that one qualified to test drive a worthy car. I'm not that creative , so no, I didn't make that up.

As far as his post, I believe it does not have any merit at all. I have worked with people at all income levels and stations in life and out-of-the-box thinking is not the exclusive domain of wealthy or the Porsche/M5 driver, which by the way are the cars of choice for plenty of middle managers. Heck, one of my non-degreed computer techs drives an M5.

Anyway, this is a car forum. More specifically, this is a BMW F10 forum. We come here because we share ownership or interest in this automobile. We come from diverse backgrounds and from around the world. Some of us are young and some of us are old. Some of us can barely afford our lease payments and some of us see the cost as a drop in the bucket. Some of us drive conservatively and some of use drive like maniacs. Some of us change our oil every 3kmi and some of us change it every 19kmi. The list can go on ad nauseam (maybe it already did), but fundamental point is that we are all different and should take a moment to consider what the "other guy" will think when one posts demeaning statements with respect to money, jobs, and the like.

P.S. The impact of Points are like Fuel Economy numbers. When the total costs are calculated, the actual impact maybe isn't quite as big as some people think.
The best post I have read on this forum.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
did they put the speed on your ticket.

If so then just pay it. its not a big deal. You cant and wont win the case, unless you hire a lawyer, and that imho is a waste of time and money.
92 E34
89 E30 Cabrio
Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post
did they put the speed on your ticket.

If so then just pay it. its not a big deal. You cant and wont win the case, unless you hire a lawyer, and that imho is a waste of time and money.
Looking at the title of this thread, the OP is seeking exactly that, a lawyer to waste some money on.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:27 AM

from my understanding, 2 points on a California driving license is a significant infraction (most simple speeding infractions are 1 pt from my understanding). It might be best for him to do something to lower that at least.
Retired
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
from my understanding, 2 points on a California driving license is a significant infraction (most simple speeding infractions are 1 pt from my understanding). It might be best for him to do something to lower that at least.
Looking at the money you spent on cars, are you a lawyer?
Like: we from Texaco advise to only fill up by Texaco...

Best would do to forego any more speeding fines, better than getting into any juridic procedure