Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328XI
228i review/rant

So, last night I had the opportunity to drive both the M235i and the 228i. While we all have seen the reviews on the M235i the 228 has been awfully silent. I thought I would post short (first) review of the car based on my own opinion. That being said others may disagree which is fine feel free.

The first car I drove was the M235i Automatic, the car as the base M235i with few extras not that any car with the M badge is base. This allowed me to set a baseline to compare the “lesser” car, the 228i.

The 228i also came with a automatic gearbox, making this a fair comparison. The 228i also had leather power seats, cold weather package and the premium package.

The interior was the standard BMW fare, well built, efficient and made of quality materials. The new control layout was more complex than what I am used to in my e92 however those with iDrive will be right at home. I will say after driving the M car, if you can, get the Msport pack, it really does add some nice to have items including the M steering wheel, gauges and black headliner.

The drive.
After driving both cars (aggressively) on a windy road with some hard stops and hard accelerations. I have to say there is some improved quickness with the M235i over the 228i. However that being said the 228i is not that much slower. It feels as if the 80HP is eaten up somewhat by the weight of the M235i.

Handling however is a different story. The 228i just feels off, not as planted, the M suspension makes a huge difference (again get the Msport if you can.).

Over all I would say that while nice the M235i at this point is not worth the premium over the 228i as a daily driver (track car or weekend road warrior may be different) the biggest gap is in the handling which can be replicated with the M sport package. Besides, 80hp is obtainable for far less than the premium that is being charged for the M235i.
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2014, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I struggled between the 228i and the 235i too. I think if you don't care about the power then the 228i is a very good option. However, if you like that I6 engine and all the other gadgets that are standard on the 235i, then it starts making more sense. For example, the M sport brakes, adaptive suspension, rear spoiler, and adaptive steering are standard on the 235i. Of course things like power seats, xenon lights, etc. are also standard on the 235i. If you add all of that to a 228i, the price difference ends up being something like $4k.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond_JamesBond View Post
I struggled between the 228i and the 235i too. I think if you don't care about the power then the 228i is a very good option. However, if you like that I6 engine and all the other gadgets that are standard on the 235i, then it starts making more sense. For example, the M sport brakes, adaptive suspension, rear spoiler, and adaptive steering are standard on the 235i. Of course things like power seats, xenon lights, etc. are also standard on the 235i. If you add all of that to a 228i, the price difference ends up being something like $4k.
Msport suspension is standard. Adaptive is not. With $4k you could buy 80hp. Your engine still sounds awful though, and of course you get tune the N55 as well. If I were auto-xing the car, I would opt for the 228i with some tuning and no moonroof and the go-fast options. On a real track, the bigger engine may be nicer for the power it can reach.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Msport suspension is standard. Adaptive is not. With $4k you could buy 80hp. Your engine still sounds awful though, and of course you get tune the N55 as well. If I were auto-xing the car, I would opt for the 228i with some tuning and no moonroof and the go-fast options. On a real track, the bigger engine may be nicer for the power it can reach.
I thought the 228i with m sport package comes with m suspension while the 235i comes with adaptive m suspension, no? I suppose it really comes down to whether you want the extra power and standard options or a car that weighs less but also has less hp and standard options.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Ich bin schneller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond_JamesBond View Post
I thought the 228i with m sport package comes with m suspension while the 235i comes with adaptive m suspension, no? I suppose it really comes down to whether you want the extra power and standard options or a car that weighs less but also has less hp and standard options.
228i w/ m-sport gets m-port suspension. M235i comes m-sport standard. Both lose m-sport suspension with the adaptive option. I haven't seen a car at a dealer with adaptive yet, but the m-sport suspension and 18" pilot super sports give a great ride.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes C300
Quote:
228i w/ m-sport gets m-port suspension. M235i comes m-sport standard. Both lose m-sport suspension with the adaptive option. I haven't seen a car at a dealer with adaptive yet, but the m-sport suspension and 18" pilot super sports give a great ride.
M235i comes with standard 2VF Adaptive M Suspension. See the ordering guide on sticky.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Mein Auto: M235i
Quote:
This is not correct. Adaptive suspension is standard on the M235i…at least in the US anyways.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Ich bin schneller

You guys are right. The car I drove did not have much effect in regard to suspension travel/feel from comfort to sport+ though. Perhaps it needs to be driven hard or it isn't ever very firm. Compared to Audi's system that goes from soft to rock hard, this seems tame based on my quick experience. I'll have to drive it more.