Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW E39 528i (M52TU)
help with vacscum hose?

hi everyone,

i've had the p1421 and p1423 issue for a few weeks now. my mechanic reassured me that it's fine and when i get a chance have it fixed later. today i noticed there's a small crack on the small hose connecting the secondary air injection control valve. maybe that was the cause of the codes? so i went to an auto store to buy a replacement small hose:

i pull it out--it crumbled actually--and realized that it was connected to a thinner hose way in the back that i can't see. i yanked on it and broke off of something!

here's what it looks like now:

obviously i can't use the hose i bought and don't know the name of the thing that it connects or what i broke. would really appreciate it if someone can help identify it for me and what i need to buy/replace. most importantly, can i still drive the car to my mechanic on monday to have him replace the parts?

here a couple of pictures. the valve and where the vacuum hose connects(?):

is the vacuum hose(?) i broke off somehow connected to this gadget?

thanks in advance. pls let me know:

1) if i can still drive my car to the mechanic (how serious is it)?
2) what i broke?
3) is the hose i broke off connected to the "gadget" i mentioned above?

btw, i'm sure this topic has been covered. i ask for your patience to this newbie. i searched "e39 m52tu vacuum hose," "secondary air injection control valve hose," and other combinations and found some diagrams from the realoem site (e.g., this one) that folks posted on this forum but the diagram doesn't look like what i have.

Thanks for your help!
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM

by the way, the reason i bought the replacement hose was because it was short. i only realized it wasn't when i removed the "gadget" i mentioned above, that it connected to another thinner hose that went way back of the side of the engine.

here's what i thought it connected:

Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM

after 2 hours of research i found that the hose is called "vacuum hose" and that it connects to a thinner hose called "vacuum pipe," which goes along side of the engine and connects to the "vacuum hose" again, which connects to a piece of the engine, the "thing" (don't know the name):

i saw this in other threads (by bluebee about M54 engine) but it didn't register because i thought it was not my engine (M52/TU) that's why i couldn't see the "gadget" i referred to above.

those "gadgets".... i saw two in along the side of my engine with hoses coming out of both ends that covered the "vacuum pipe." are those called "o2 sensors"? i searched that on the realoem site and didn't come up with anything.

thanks for your patience.... still have some questions listed above. can anyone help? thanks!

Last edited by mokubmw; 03-02-2014 at 05:15 PM.