Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Z4 soft top drain plugs

Hi

been advised to check the soft top drain plugs has anyone got instructions of how to do this & where are these
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Here you go- I have it downloaded to my computer...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2006+ Z4 Clean droptop drains.pdf (742.3 KB, 848 views)

Last edited by chickdr; 03-03-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0 manual
Shipkiller took down his page. He was getting a lot of negative stupid responses.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0 manual
Try these links:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629908

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...0&d=1393876561
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Thanks Guys

Will give this a go over the weekend
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Did mine this morning. Passenger side was completely clogged. Driver's side was draining but still had a bunch of debris in it. (see photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vert top drain valve.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	426948  
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Is it difficult to pull the actual drain out? Is it just a matter of prying with a screwdiver? Why is it necessary to even have the drain? Wouldn't an open hole be better?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 AM

They're easy to pull out. After doing the job and seeing where they are located, I think you could probably get them in and out without pulling the mudflap if you could get the car on a lift and had the right sized needle nosed pliers.
I was thinking about just leaving them out, but looking at where the drain outlet is located I could see the possibility of water coming back up the drain tube if you were driving in the rain.
You also wouldn't want that to become a place for insect ingress. Having a large cockroach come out of the top area and crawl down the shoulder harness onto your neck while you were driving wouldn't be a pleasant experience.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Thanks. That's very good information. I was thinking by leaving them out that the smaller debris would just wash out rather than get stuck. But, your theory on water going back into the car is probably correct. BMW would not have spent money on the 2 odd drains if they didn't think they were necessary.
Now.....how does the junk get into that region to plug up the drains? I assume it has to be whent he top is down??
Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Nope. The water that collects in the joint between the top and the sheet metal drains forward to where the door seam is, then it flows down into the cavity below and collects in the drain area. Whatever dirt, etc. has collected in the top/body joint gets washed into the drains and collects there.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Wow, so whenever the car is washed, for example, the water drains down below. That makes me more sure that I should clean out the drains. Thank you. Figured since I was seldom in the rain with the top down that I'd never get water. Out the window with that theory.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvt View Post
Wow, so whenever the car is washed, for example, the water drains down below. That makes me more sure that I should clean out the drains. Thank you. Figured since I was seldom in the rain with the top down that I'd never get water. Out the window with that theory.
This is correct. I guess there was no good way to seal that area so BMW planned for it to leak/drain into the quarter panel cavity and put the catch basin and drain ports in to accommodate it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvt View Post
BMW would not have spent money on the 2 odd drains if they didn't think they were necessary.
THIS ^

I wish others would come to the same conclusion when they start not replacing parts on their car just because they do not feel they need to be there...
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
THIS ^

I wish others would come to the same conclusion when they start not replacing parts on their car just because they do not feel they need to be there...
Well, after spending hours trying to find, unplug, and clean the tiny holes that BMW designers put where they thought the water will collect and SHOULD drain, I have concluded that it is an extremely poor design. Of course with all due respect....
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM

Yes, I agree, its a poor design. If the drain ports were only 1 or 2mm larger, then we would not have a lot of the issues... But it is what it is...
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 AM

Seems to me that the drains are on the bottom and since water runs downhill the water should drain out. Our job is to be sure that junk doesn't get down in that area that will clog the drains. I parked under a tree a few days ago. When I returned I noticed dead leaves on the rear of the car. It struck me that this is exactly what will work its way down and plug the drains. Not much else that will end up there. I will be much more careful when I park in the future.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
That's why I removed the plugs.... While I agree with Shipkiller about items as designed......Sometimes circumstances merit adapting other practices.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 PM

It seems that by removing the drains that the opening would then be larger and there would be less of a chanc of plugging up. But, get a handful of leaves in that area and we know they aren't going to wash out through that small opening. So, I think we still have to be pretty careful about what gets in there. Think I will investigate the possibility of leaving them out.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM

If you look at any pictures of what crap comes out of the drains, it is just GUNK. Dirt, slime, etc... Yes, leaves might be an issue, but over time, the stuff I just described builds up.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4
Don't park on a steeply sloped driveway with the engine higher than the trunk.....it won't matter if the drains are free and clear or not. The water end up collecting in the battery well and the amplifier sits in a pool of water.

Our new driveway is not as steep but when the monsoon season comes I back the car in.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
The issue is not the size/diameter of the drain hole in the bottom, it's the tiny size of the actual drain hole on the top where the water/slime collects. On older cars the area right around the drain hole will eventually rust and you could literally punch a new/larger hole in that area directly to the ground.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalali View Post
On older cars the area right around the drain hole will eventually rust and you could literally punch a new/larger hole in that area directly to the ground.
No evidence to support this. Supposition only.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0i
You could probably remove them without any trouble, but like the posters above me have stated, I don't think it would help much.

Has anyone figured out a method for checking the drivers side? I cleaned mine the other day and the passenger side was full of junk, but the drivers side drain was clean. Since you cant really flush the drivers side, I had no way of knowing if it was truly clean.

Anyone ever have their top off and see the drivers side plug? Think i could get in there with a tiny hose if i knew where it was?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustacean View Post
Anyone ever have their top off and see the drivers side plug? Think i could get in there with a tiny hose if i knew where it was?
Do a search and you will find pictures and your answer.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
Do a search and you will find pictures and your answer.
I've seen your posts on the top removal, but i couldnt see the drain plug locations in the pictures you included.

I found your other thread just now though, thanks for the close ups