Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
2014 X3 dashboard lights during radio ready state

I pressed the Start/Stop button on my X3 (without putting the foot on the brake). As expected, the engine wasn't turned on and the radio/fan were running, which I believe is called the radio ready state. At this time, the orange colored engine shaped check control light/emission warning light stayed on. Now, when I turn the engine On, the light goes away. Is it normal for the Engine Maintenance Light to stay On during the radio ready state?
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by siusaluki View Post
I pressed the Start/Stop button on my X3 (without putting the foot on the brake). As expected, the engine wasn't turned on and the radio/fan were running, which I believe is called the radio ready state. At this time, the orange colored engine shaped check control light/emission warning light stayed on. Now, when I turn the engine On, the light goes away. Is it normal for the Engine Maintenance Light to stay On during the radio ready state?
Yep, this is normal. When you press the start/stop button without the brake, the ignition and all electronics are on, but it does not start the car. If you do nothing for several seconds (I can't remember how long) it will shutdown the ignition and fallback to just the radio. You don't want all of those accessories running for a long time without the engine running.

If you just want the radio when the car is off, just press the radio volume control and it will turn on just that.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:59 AM

Thank you for the reply. My question was regarding the yellow engine light. In your car, does the yellow engine light remain turned On pre-ignition when you press the Start button without putting foot on the brake (i.e. in radio state) or does the engine light come on for a couple of seconds and go Off?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Yes, it's normal for the check engine light to come on when the ignition is started and the engine is not running yet. Until the engine has started, the ECU does not know that all components are working normally--think of it as an unknown state. Once the car is started, the ECU quickly gets the data it needs to confirm that everything is normal and to turn off that light. Of course, that assumes everything is working normally.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:55 PM

Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app