Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E90 325i M Sport
Exclamation ABS/DTC Light..Error codes 5DF0/5DF1

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem...Have three yellow lights on when I start the car but they are not always on, they sometimes go off for a couple days then will just re-appear when I start the car another day!
I have plugged in my code reader and it gave the codes 5DF0 and 5DF1...just wondering if anybody else had came across this problem and how they solved it!

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
You have either an out of position steering sensor (unlikely) or the trifecta of indicators which all point to a failed ABS module. That one is bad news because the cost is significant. However it is also very likely that the only problem with your entire ABS module is that your Bosch electric motor has gummed up brushes causing the motor to not meet the correct rpm speed throwing a code. Bosch in 2006 changed the design for BMW to be more reliable than the previous version which was pretty reliable already. Your code reader and also the dealers will never point to this failure since it cannot get the diagnosis to that level of granularity. Many of us (me after the fact unfortunately) have found that if you are handy you can fix this yourself of if you wish a permanent fix with improved brushes and holder go call or email Modulemasters.com. They for 100-150 dollars (at the time of this writing) will correct this issue vs a significant sum for getting a new unit installed and programmed. This is a very simple DIY to pull the old unit and reinstall it once the problem is corrected by you or Modulemasters and no reprogramming is required since the unit you have is still programmed. There are a couple very good DIYs with pictures of how to pull the unit and reinstall it.
I used them and added to it. It is a shame if this is your ABS module that some are paying someplace between 1900 to 3000 bucks to get this fixed when all that is wrong is a poor brush and holder choice by Bosch...
This should help a lot
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600491
I repaired and tested mine after I replaced it with a new unit and now have a back up which I hope I will not need...
Here is an example of the actual repair done by a DIYer but the repair by MM is much more professional and should never get brush jamming again

Last edited by fun2drive; 03-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Only bought the car like 2 weeks ago :-( gutted!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM

Just another question....how do I test to check if it is the Pump, I'm quite confident that it not speed sensors as I ran test on them and they all run the same speed when I am driving with the lights still lit upon the dash! Is there any access for testing the motor winding or accessing to see if the brushes are bust or sticking....probably wont do a DIY cos it will probably go again in the future!!!

Last edited by SmOkEz92; 03-03-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Steering angle sensor not speed sensor is very possible.
There is NO WAY to check that function other than pull the unit and disassemble or send it off for testing and correction. Suggest you investigate the site I mentioned and read up on it and review the DIYs I provided if you didn't already. As I stated there are no diagnostic tools to tell you precisely what the issue is...
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 AM

Well its turned itself off again this morning. ..not steering angle sensors are there, not sure how they work ti be honest! Anyway to diagnose the sensor I know my code reader has some test on them!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 PM
BMWCCA 149159

I will say this one last time NO.
There is NO way to know what the problem is beyond what I told you.
Feel free to go to the dealer and see what they say.
As I also said before the diagnostics for BMWs typically point to an assembly not sub assembly which has three parts. Maybe BMWs code reader can break it down but why would they? They do NOT repair sub assemblies they replace the entire assembly.
Good luck...
Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 AM

Calm down...I waa just looking for a process of elimination cos I just spent 8000 on a car and the last thing I want to do is change 2 door lock actuators which went in the first day and a frigging abs module! Thanks anyway

Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I had the same issue and the BMW place replace the ABS pump and the steering wheel sensor, glad I purchased an extended warranty

good thing is you can drive the car without replacing them, the ABS system might not work but you will still have brakes!

maybe go out to a dirt road and slam on the brakes a bunch of times, get the ABS pump working over time and maybe it will free up any stuck plungers or get the ABS motor working like it should

worth a try or you are talking about 2500.00 for both repairs
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 AM

At the minute it has been off for 3 days but when it does come back on which I presume it will thats not a bad Idea...I will probably just get it refurbished as im not paying that kind on cash for the dealers to do it! Just a scam...
Thanks for the reply by the way, all help is appreciated...the more replies the more it backs up the theory anyway!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
may I ask if the steering angle sensor is the problem, it should give an error code other than 5df0 5df1?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
again you dont have to replace them if you can tollerate the lights, and the possibility of not have ABS, but the Brakes will work unless you loose the Master cylinder

bet if you hit the brakes hard and the tires start to slide the ABS will work
Old 03-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by betaruce View Post
may I ask if the steering angle sensor is the problem, it should give an error code other than 5df0 5df1?

Do THIS - link in post may be of interest too.

Recent suspension work or poor alignment can cause the issue. Any twitchiness? Had it aligned since you purchased?

If you haven't had a thorough pre-purchase inspection, do one now! Cars are sold for all kinda reasons....maint reasons....