Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Apple CarPlay

Maybe if BMW supports this our iPhones will play more nicely with the car.

Review from CNET:

Apple CarPlay to bring iPhone experience to your next car's dashboard
What once was iOS in the Car is now CarPlay, and Ferrari, Mercedes, and Volvo will all have models on display at this week's Geneva auto show.

by Tim Stevens March 3, 2014 12:09 AM PST

35 CommentsFacebook403Twitter74Linked In11More
presented by
(Credit: Apple)
We've been covering Apple's plans for iOS in the Car quite closely, and now the final product is being shown to the world -- and given a new name.
Gone is that mouthful, in is the new moniker: CarPlay. (Not to be confused with a Monster product by the same name.) The concept stays the same: replication of a simplified iOS interface into a touchscreen display in the car, plus extensive voice command. As we saw in earlier videos, the focus here is simplicity and safety, with no complex interface elements and, seemingly, no virtual keyboards.
Instead, many actions will be made easier thanks to some intelligent coding. For example, CarPlay can look at your calendar and e-mails to anticipate upcoming meetings and appointments, suggesting directions to the appropriate destinations. Similarly, Siri can read any incoming text messages and let you dictate a response. Calling, of course, is possible as well, through voice command.
And, it wouldn't be an iPhone experience without music, and you'll be able to listen to music and podcasts plus Spotify and iHeartRadio. However, those appear to be the only non-Apple apps that will be available through CarPlay, at least for now. It remains to be seen whether there will be an API exposed to allow other third-party developers to get in on the fun. But we expect to learn quite a bit more between now and when the first cars hit dealers later in 2014 from manufacturers like Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo. (Just about every other marque will follow suit next year.)
And to be clear, this experience is completely driven by the phone -- more specifically, an iPhone 5, 5S, or 5C. The cars themselves won't be running iOS, just feeding the signal provided by the phones, which will be connected to the car via Lightning cable.
Topics:Apple Tags:ios in the car, carplay, apple Read the full CNET Review
Apple iPhone 5S
The bottom line: The iPhone 5S is not a required upgrade, but it's easily the fastest and most advanced Apple smartphone to date. Read Full Review
CNET Editors' Rating
stars
Excellent
Priced At: $199.00 to $770.00
Review Date: 6/03/13 Updated on: 1/29/14
Average User Rating
stars
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Here's the official link from Apple: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/. This could be huge. I know iDrive has come a long way since its inception. Still, it's most likely that CarPlay will offer much better iPhone integration than any auto manufacturer currently does. BMW's iPhone support is currently the best in the business, but even that is somewhat kludgy.

I'm not sure I'd trust Apple Maps though. But then, the map data that BMW uses is already so bad that we shall not lose that much there, either.

Most notable app to support CarPlay: Beats Music (successor of MOG), Spotify
Most notable app NOT to support CarPlay: Pandora (because of iTunes Radio, perhaps?)
Most notable brand to support CarPlay: Ferrari (who knew even Ferrari drivers fiddle with their phone while driving!)
Most notable brand NOT to support CarPlay: VAG (all the other conglomerates are present)

Last edited by neilsarkar; 03-03-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsarkar View Post
Most notable app NOT to support CarPlay: Pandora (because of iTunes Radio, perhaps?)
Most notable brand to support CarPlay: Ferrari (who knew even Ferrari drivers fiddle with their phone while driving!)
Most notable brand NOT to support CarPlay: VAG (all the other conglomerates are present)
VAG seems to be going with Google/Android. They announced the partnership at CES.

It would be awesome if they should get Google Maps App integration. There would be no need for BMW's crappy NAV software anymore!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: a truck
I invested in a 535GT in 2011 with SnapIn support and loved it right up until the Lightning port came out. What kills me here is there's literally no reason why SnapIn can't be extended to support this integration today.

Apple has enabled button/knob based controls for this (touchscreen isn't required). SnapIn supports that.

Apple has enabled video out - SnapIn supports that.

BMW won't to put a Digital to Analog video converter into their $350 snap in adaptor to keep "iPod Out" working. BTW.. where the heck does that cost come from?

I would love to see someone figure out how to make a little box that sits between the SnapIn socket and the iPhone to enable CarPlay. They would make a fortune.. and i guarantee it wouldn't cost $350 bucks to make.

KC
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Nice feature, but too late for me (I've just taken delivery of a new car). On the bright side, in 3 years when the bugs are worked out, I'll be ready for a new car.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: It is on the ship
BMW Group is listed on the Apple site as a partner for future models. I really hope that the current iDrive will be updated to support this.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil01 View Post
BMW Group is listed on the Apple site as a partner for future models. I really hope that the current iDrive will be updated to support this.
There is no chance of that. I have a pre LCI (2013) 535 and I can't even press a steering wheel button to get to Siri (I understand the LCI models can). Also, text functionality is reduced on the pre LCI, need to use a Dragon product which is more than a bit cumbersome.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: It is on the ship
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
There is no chance of that. I have a pre LCI (2013) 535 and I can't even press a steering wheel button to get to Siri (I understand the LCI models can). Also, text functionality is reduced on the pre LCI, need to use a Dragon product which is more than a bit cumbersome.
Maybe those with 2014 LCI models will get lucky and it will at least work for them.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Here's the official link from Apple: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/. This could be huge. I know iDrive has come a long way since its inception. Still, it's most likely that CarPlay will offer much better iPhone integration than any auto manufacturer currently does. BMW's iPhone support is currently the best in the business, but even that is somewhat kludgy.

I'm not sure I'd trust Apple Maps though. But then, the map data that BMW uses is already so bad that we shall not lose that much there, either.

This could be very big, and right on time for me to switch back to Apple (finally) when my contract is up, just after iPhone 6 comes out.

Interesting about Ferrari being most notable. Eddy Cue, Apple Executive, is on the Ferrari board and a noted enthusiast. He's going to be instrumental going forward in getting Apple more and more intertwined in the auto business (would be nice if he could push that rumored merger/buyout between Apple and Tesla to truth).

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
I like the idea, and clearly our phones are better content aggregators than iDrive is.

I worry, though, about the prospects of different companies with possibly incompatible timing and innovation agendas maintaining integration across version changes. In other words, Apple and BMW could get it all worked out, and then 8 months later Apple makes a wholesale OS change and suddenly the integration breaks.

I never did the "iPod your BMW" thing that required a dedicated hard wire connection for the same reason - I always used auxiliary input feeds and now I use Bluetooth, which is a cross-platform standard. As much as using my car as a presentation layer for my phone sounds great and makes sense, I think it would work until it didn't.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
BMW has signaled they won't do this because they think iDrive is better.

That doesn't bother me as long as they add Siri eyes free like they promised.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328D X-drive
I love and hate this at the same time! I'm an Apple fan and BMW fan and wished this would happen a lot sooner. iDrive is average at best. I don't even enter the address of where I'm going on my Nav. I enter it on my BMW iPhone app and send it over to my system.

Since BMW is usually on 7 year model refreshes, I don't expect to see this technology in my 2014 328dx but perhaps the next gen. Sigh.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM
BMW aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
VAG seems to be going with Google/Android. They announced the partnership at CES.
VAG will ignore iPhone at their own peril - iPhone's market-share is very high in the high-income demography.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
BMW aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post

Stealth, BMW is a committed partner of CarPlay, so I'd guess they have changed their position.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Moving the infotainment and nav processing to the phone is the clear way forward. Future updates should be as simple as an OS or app upgrade so if this is implemented properly, your car's infotainment system becomes somewhat future proof. The only limitation is your phone supporting the later versions of iOS, and Apple is generally pretty good at making sure iOS works on the last two or three revisions. This one seems to work on a iPhone 5 and up. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix
Mercedes seems to be wholeheartedly supporting CarPlay. I think I read somewhere about the 2015 C-Class getting it. While the current LCI iDrive is a good attempt, it will probably be nowhere close to the CarPlay. Hopefully, BMW supports this in the future, otherwise I will clearly be considering MB in the future.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 PM

I have an LCI and my iPhone 5S isn't very compatible with iDrive Office. Occasional texts show up on the car's screen.

Here's a cut/paste of a previous related post of mine:

I spoke to a BMW "Genius". For those of you that don't know, these are a new more technical group of Customer Relations advisors that may be reached at BMW USA: 844-443-6487.

They recently received a notification that later this year, "there should be" more compatibility between our iPhones and the iDrive systems. Text messages and emails should be able to be seen on our NAV screens. Right now, my iPhone 5S will show SIRI, but that's all I'm able to see on my NAV.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post

Agreed.

The videos I watched of CarPlay weren't that impressive to me, particularly since Apple is only enabling "partner" Apps. For example, Pandora is intentionally excluded.

As long as in my next car I can summon Siri from a button on my steering wheel, I'm good.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 AM
BMW aficionado

Here's a detailed demonstration of CarPlay/Siri (scroll down for the video).

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/04/a...i-ff-hands-on/

Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the post!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528i
Quote:

No Multitouch and seems a little slow to respond.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: German
http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/04/apples...ubsidiary-qnx/

Apparently, CarPlay is based off QNX. This would make the implementation for BMW/Mercedes VERY easy and fast because iDrive already runs on QNX.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM

The question that remains for me, can I update my iDrive with Carplay... if not, that BLOWS big time.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWpete12 View Post
The question that remains for me, can I update my iDrive with Carplay... if not, that BLOWS big time.
Doubtful. Car manufacturers now use technology to get people to buy a new car.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM

I gotta say BMW doesn't look good at all right now vs. the competition sticking with its iDrive technology. They seem to be forced into it vs. MB who embraced it from the start. In my opinion, this a game changer in the BMW vs. MB rivalry.

Last edited by BMWpete12; 03-04-2014 at 06:42 PM.