Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Another CNET article about CarPlay:

CNET Editors' Take March 4, 2014 1:34 AM PST

CarPlay makes Apple Maps available for navigation in any car supporting the feature.

(Credit: Wayne Cunningham/CNET)
GENEVA -- Apple's much anticipated CarPlay feature, formerly known as iOS in the Car, got its first public airing at the 2014 Geneva auto show this week. Volvo and Ferrari were offering demonstrations, but I took advantage of Mercedes-Benz, which had CarPlay implemented in a C-class.

CarPlay is a means of mirroring an iPhone's apps and functions through a car's dashboard. Although the CarPlay screens look the same from car to car, the control paradigms can vary. For example, the Volvo concept car at the show with CarPlay used a touch screen, but the C-class had Mercedes-Benz's indirect COMAND controller. All of the CarPlay functions in this demonstration were accessed using Siri voice command and the COMAND dial set into the car's console.

Apple demoes CarPlay in a Mercedes-Benz (pictures)

1-2 of 16
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

The icons on the main screen showed the same design as those in iOS but were a little larger for easier viewing while on the road. There were also fewer of them. This initial implementation of CarPlay has navigation, audio, phone, messaging, and three third-party apps: Spotify, Stitcher, and iHeartRadio. CarPlay will also include Beats Music at launch.

Further app support is a big question for CarPlay. From what I gathered at the show, Apple will be the gatekeeper for which apps it will let into the CarPlay ecosystem, although I imagine the company will listen to any objections or requests from automakers. The apps supported are likely to be a tiny subset of those available in the iTunes app store, as Apple and automakers are going to be very sensitive to driver distraction issues.

For this demonstration, an iPhone was cabled to the car's USB port -- CarPlay does not work through a wireless connection. An Apple staffer took me through the various functions, which all showed very similar flow as in iOS, making things instantly familiar for iOS users.

No matter the car brand, the CarPlay interface will look basically the same.

Entering an address for navigation was as simple as asking Siri for a business or address. Adding a little novelty, the interface also included a list of recent addresses combined with any addresses that had been received on the iPhone's e-mail or text messages. The interface also let me enter addresses manually, but that proved tedious using the COMAND controller, because I had to choose each letter with the dial on the console.

The Apple Maps showing up on the screen were larger than those on the phone, making it easier to follow route guidance. The system uses the same routing algorithms as Apple Maps, and includes traffic information. The Apple staffer giving me the demo mentioned that the navigation employs aggressive caching so as to keep routing when the connection drops out. However, you can't initiate navigation if the car is outside of cell range.

If the car has its own GPS antenna, as the C-class did, CarPlay makes use of it to get better positioning. There is also a bit of dead reckoning programmed into Apple Maps, so a temporary loss of the GPS signal won't show the car driving through a forest or the ocean.

Making phone calls was as simple as saying a contact's name, although the interface also included an onscreen keypad. Text messaging was more interesting, the interface will not show any text messaging. For incoming or outgoing texts, Siri reads them out loud, preventing driver distraction. There is no way to compose a text other than through voice command.

The music library uses the same paradigm as on an iPhone.

The music library looks very similar to the interface in iOS, and CarPlay defaults to iTunes Radio. Instead of showing a discrete image for album art on the Now Playing screen, the interface makes the cover image a subtle background.

We also looked at the iHeartRadio interface which showed the features I expect from the app. I could see my "favorited" stations and a list based on the car's current location. However, there wasn't a means of searching for new stations and adding them to my Favorites list.

Most impressively, CarPlay worked seamlessly during the demonstration. There were lag times waiting for external data to load, but the main functions and interface were all extremely quick. In the C-class, there was also an icon on the screen that let me switch back to the car's native navigation, audio, and phone functions.

To use CarPlay, you'll need an iPhone5 or better, and you will have to wait until at least the end of the year. A Mercedes-Benz engineer told me that the company is trying to get it out in its C-class by the end of 2014, so that will likely be in a 2015 model. I also heard that the S-class uses a similar head unit as the C-class, so that model could also benefit from CarPlay. Volvo was demoing CarPlay in a concept car, but has said it will first roll out the feature in its XC90 SUV. Other companies, such as Honda, have announced CarPlay adoption but had nothing on display at Geneva.

A Mercedes-Benz spokesperson also clarified to me that the company would also likely support any Android mirroring implementation that comes out of the Open Automotive Alliance, pointing out that both iOS and Apple can coexist in its cars.

CNET's full coverage of the Geneva Auto Show
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWpete12 View Post
I gotta say BMW doesn't look good at all right now vs. the competition sticking with its iDrive technology. They seem to be forced into it vs. MB who embraced it from the start. In my opinion, this a game changer in the BMW vs. MB rivalry.
Some reasons behind this is because iDrive has always been light years ahead of M-B when it comes to infotainment. The newest version of iDrive makes the COMAND look both archaic and Atari-like. It'd make sense for BMW therefore to try and keep perfecting their iDrive while Mercedes will benefit greatly from CarPlay as they go from a lousy infotainment to one Apple sourced, which means as good as it gets. Unfortunately, M-B's newest screens coming out in their cars (starting with the 2015 C Class) look like "$50 drugstore Android Tablets taped to the dash", i.e extremely haphazard and ghetto, as a tech analyst said. They have the worst hardware implementation on the market. Volvo actually has one the nicest integrations I saw, based on the press photos.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil01 View Post
Maybe those with 2014 LCI models will get lucky and it will at least work for them.
If you look at the Volvo demo, it seems to me that this is a touch screen interface model rather than a scroll wheel (i.e. iDrive knob) model. Given that the F10 doesn't have a dash layout with a touchscreen, the current implementation would have to rely almost solely on Siri or allot of knob twisting through the iDrive controller. Given how clumsy the current iDrive menu structure is (although much improved), I think a fresh implementation would provide the best experience.

The Volvo demo looks like a scaled down Tesla interface, but the small screen is well integrated into the Vovo's dash whereas the tesla is functional, but to be looks glued into the dash.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Some reasons behind this is because iDrive has always been light years ahead of M-B when it comes to infotainment. The newest version of iDrive makes the COMAND look both archaic and Atari-like. It'd make sense for BMW therefore to try and keep perfecting their iDrive while Mercedes will benefit greatly from CarPlay as they go from a lousy infotainment to one Apple sourced, which means as good as it gets. Unfortunately, M-B's newest screens coming out in their cars (starting with the 2015 C Class) look like "$50 drugstore Android Tablets taped to the dash", i.e extremely haphazard and ghetto, as a tech analyst said. They have the worst hardware implementation on the market. Volvo actually has one the nicest integrations I saw, based on the press photos.
Ha ha, I see you read Daring Fireball as well. I concur - the COMAND screen in 2015 C-class looks hideous. It's so cheap and tacky.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xdrive M Sport
i have a 2014 X5 still in the factory, was just built a week ago. You think any of these apple features will be included in the car?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsarkar View Post
Ha ha, I see you read Daring Fireball as well. I concur - the COMAND screen in 2015 C-class looks hideous. It's so cheap and tacky.
LOL, yup that's where I saw it. I was rolling when I read it since I've been in disbelief how cheap M-B's new screen placements look. I mean, it looks like they not only had an R&D placement budget of $0, but it looks like the interiors weren't even designed for screens, hence the haphazard "taping to the dash".

Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: German
http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/06/merced...lder-vehicles/

Quote:
There have been a lot of mixed reviews of Apple's CarPlay, a new feature that brings iOS into the car by displaying a customized interface for core iOS apps on in-car displays of select vehicles. A couple of the the common complaints you'll be hearing about CarPlay: Its implementation varies from vehicle to vehicle as car makers use different touchscreen technology and varying approaches to meld CarPlay with their own in-car systems. Another problem is that it's so far only coming to a few new vehicles by the end of this year including a pricey new FF from Ferrari, a new C-Class from Mercedes-Benz, and the XC90 SUV from Volvo. That certainly didn't make owners of last year's C-Class model happy, but the good news is we've confirmed that at least some car makers are planning to offer aftermarket installations for older vehicles.

We've confirmed that at least Mercedes-Benz is looking into aftermarket installations of CarPlay that will allow older models of vehicles to access the feature. While the company confirmed that it is trying to get an "an after-market solution for previous cars" it couldn't confirm when the option might become available. While there is no info yet on how the aftermarket installation would work, we'd imagine it will be a dealer installed accessory for select older models like Honda and others already offer for Apple's Siri Eyes Free feature.

This week was the first time car manufacturers- Mercedes, Volvo, and Ferrari to kick things off- showed the feature actually up and running in new vehicles and announced availability for later this year. Apple also confirmed in its announcement earlier this week that it's also working with other car companies, including, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Kia, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota, but didn't provide specific timeframe for announcements from those companies.

We reached out to Volvo and Ferrari about aftermarket installations but haven't heard back yet.

I'd imagine it won't be long before we also start seeing some DIY implementations using an iPad.
Looks like MB has committed to retrofitting older cars with this. BMW needs to get their stuff together.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, 330ci
Siri and iDrive

So frustrated with my 2010 335d and using Siri... I have an hour commute each way and would love to use that time to answer emails, and even use voice recognition for making phone calls. Perhaps it is the noise of the diesel, perhaps it is my diction, but Siri and I don't see eye-to-eye when it comes to in-car use. I keep hoping some standard upgrade will make it better--so far no go.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
So once the carPlay system is rolled-out into the cars, does that mean that the car makers will stop gouging us by making us pay $2K for their archaic NAV system that is light-years behind the one on my phone?

And, agree on the MB Comand system. Wifey has a 2013 GL350 and the Comand system is seriously like using a DOS based computer.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWpete12 View Post
I gotta say BMW doesn't look good at all right now vs. the competition sticking with its iDrive technology. They seem to be forced into it vs. MB who embraced it from the start. In my opinion, this a game changer in the BMW vs. MB rivalry.
It's not the only game changer. Look at the finishes in the new C class. Open pore wood, leather dash, upgraded intuitive Comand system. Mercedes has finally woke up and is truly sticking it to BMW.

I can't wait to see what they do with the next E63 and CLS63.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Dark Knight

The "leather" dash on the C will be vinyl (as it is on the S, even), and COMAND will need to update itself about a decade from where it is currently to reach the current iDrive. I also don't get why open pore wood is becoming so trendy on cars, looks unfinished to me, or at the very least, impossible to alleviate any potential damage without fully replacing.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
I don`t think MB is after BMW anymore. The only people trying to catch up with BMW are Caddy, Lexus, Acura (they`re failing), and Infiniti.

MB acknowledges that their vehicles are more as a stat symbol/luxury sedan with maybe a flare of sport. The interior is like nothing else on the market. i also hate the damnn tablet crap they`re pulling looks out of place. The exterior is just gorgeous. That being said, and also reading the review from Autoblog today, it seems like the Merc has the presence, but lacks the sport cred that BMW offers with its handling add-ons.

Quick note though. Unlike BMW MB hasn`t limited the baby S class on features. Standard Xwind Assist, the full distronic+steering system.

Command also is highly modular, and offers SD card nav upgrades to those purchasing the vehicle bone stock.

Interface....ehhhhh Nothing too amazing. Apple is going to alleviate the situation Command is in. But If your not running iOS what do you then.

BMW at least has been really leading the pack in terms of OS. However one thing i`d like to point out is that iDrive, Command, MMi are all built on the premise of using a physical scrolling wheel. CarPlay is built around touchscreen interface....If CarPlay is amazing, the only ecosystems that will survive are those that offer built in touchscreens.

Something to clarify what i`m saying is the launch of Windows 8, and the evolution of laptops.

Pre-W8 most laptops were built with a mouse and keyboard input in mind.
W8 launches, everyone realizes W8 is much more friendly with touchscreens and starts launching laptops with touchscreens.

Lets see how it play out

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Dark Knight

Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Doubtful. Car manufacturers now use technology to get people to buy a new car.
What really bothers me, is that someone that spent a 100k less on their Honda or Hyundai!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Whatever raises the rate-of-evolution and quality of in-car infotainment is always good.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!