Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Memory Wipe while garaged

I don't drive my 335xi all that often (appx 5-6k miles annually on my cars) and I've had issues recently where I was getting the "Excessive Battery Use" message. It was determined that this was largely due to the fact that I don't drive my car very often AND I wasn't locking it while it was in my garage (I guess this shuts down all monitoring systems).

So on Thursday, when I got home from work, I parked and locked. I didn't drive my car again until Sunday. When I got in, all my radio presets were wiped and my triple blinker option had been changed back to the (default?) single blink.

It doesn't seem that sitting locked for 48+ hours should wipe yer radio and lighting/convenience choices.

Something to be concerned about?

Last edited by kuchdut; 03-03-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Used the other key fob?

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Radio presets are stored in the keyfob.

You probably used another key as mentioned.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 AM

I wish that had been it...I have one FOB that has my mail/work/front door keys and small pics of my family. The other is the nekkid FOB, that is stored someplace I won't lose it. So I only ever take the one FOB.

But that is good info...and pretty freaking slick if you have two people driving the car.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchdut View Post
I don't drive my 335xi all that often (appx 5-6k miles annually on my cars) and I've had issues recently where I was getting the "Excessive Battery Use" message. It was determined that this was largely due to the fact that I don't drive my car very often AND I wasn't locking it while it was in my garage (I guess this shuts down all monitoring systems).

So on Thursday, when I got home from work, I parked and locked. I didn't drive my car again until Sunday. When I got in, all my radio presets were wiped and my triple blinker option had been changed back to the (default?) single blink.

It doesn't seem that sitting locked for 48+ hours should wipe yer radio and lighting/convenience choices.

Something to be concerned about?
Dunno how old your battery is, but it could be on the fritz...

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Battery Tender

Battery Tender is what you need if you do not drive the car
much or leave it setting for a long time.
If you leave the battery go flat it will kill it pretty quickly
compared to the average battery life you would get keeping it
charged. Six years is about as much as you can hope for on the
stock battery.
Your radio settings are stored in your keyfob I believe if you have
comfort access you may have to plug it into the dash to get them
to load. Not sure on this but I know some have had there battery's
disconnected and did not loose there radio stations.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 AM

I had it in the shop 2 weeks ago due the previously mentioned "Excessive Battery Usage" error message. They stated that there were no errors codes and the battery checked out. They recommended a battery conditioner based upon the fact that I drive my car so infrequently (which I purchased and have used once). But it seemed odd that all those settings would be wiped after less than 24hrs (I forgot we went out Saturday in my car).

My plan was to attach the battery conditioner once a month or so to keep it topped off, but maybe I need to do it once a week...I dunno
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Battery Tender is what you need if you do not drive the car
much or leave it setting for a long time.
If you leave the battery go flat it will kill it pretty quickly
compared to the average battery life you would get keeping it
charged. Six years is about as much as you can hope for on the
stock battery.
Thanks ctuna...This is a 2013 (in service date Dec 2012), so it feels like it's soon for me to have to be worried about the battery. But I really don't drive it much...We had posts that crossed in the night, but as I said there, I may just have to hook it up on Friday's and let it charge.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Your average daily usage is way low and most likely will require you to use the battery tender (conditioner) regularly. It's cheap insurance since driving our power hungry cars so little doesn't permit the battery to recover fully. It's a PIA to connect and disconnect the tender to the under-hood post and ground (The recommended way - NOT to the battery posts!). What I did for my "garage queen" was wire up a piece of heavy landscape wire to the post and fit a socket that matched the tender's extension. I coiled up the extra and it exits near the front grill. That way I don't have to open the hood etc to connect / disconnect the tender. You can find the polarized socket that has a flip open/close tab so the sockets don't get messed up by water / dirt. The pic attached is not the type that has a cover but it will give you the idea. Radio shack usually has an assortment. The current from the battery tender is low enough that heavy cable is not necessary.
Attached Images

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Shop thru MrRebates for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!
Mr. Rebates

Last edited by luigi524td; 03-03-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Some of the newer CIC nav units have profiles you can activate for different drivers. Check the settings menu and see if your profiles got switched around by accident.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |