Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: Altima
Should I buy?

Hey all first time poster, was hoping I could get some advice/insight.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether the horror stories about Beamers are true (so naturally I decide to post on a forum full of people who likely love their Beamers )

My mother in law is getting rid of her 2008 5-series (I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure which one, but I believe its the xi), just under 40k miles. She will sell it to me for around $15k (KBB is between $17 and $21k). The first owner was a BMW OCD/Type-A maniac and took immaculate care of it, and my ma in law basically only drove it 1.5 miles to her school and back home per day.

My father in law who bought it for her was really impressed with the meticulousness of the first owner (and my father in law himself is quite meticulous) who buys them new and gets a new one after 20k miles or so.

I currently drive a 2002 Nissan Altima SE, 3.5L with just under 160k that I love. I'm not necessarily a 'car guy', but love to feel the road and feel a good engine under me. We have our first baby on the way, and I will say that in all likelihood, I should replace my car soon as I also have a client-facing job and my Altima is showing some wear.

Again, trying to weigh whether I will feel like a bigger dope for passing up getting a $20k car for $15k, or after spending thousands of dollars in maintenance and overpriced oil changes.

Oh also it has 2 years left on a warranty (not sure which one, or if there are different ones). I am told by a friend who is a car guy that I will probably need to do brakes/rotors soon.
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
Well the first thing you need to do is find out what model the 5 series is so people can chime in and give you advice. Since it's a 2008 it could be a 528xi or 535xi since the 550 doesn't come in xi (all wheel drive) for the E60 body.

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:15 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Correction, the first thing you need to know is: "Beamers" = BMW motorcycles, we drive "Bimmers".
That said, BMWs are not much more maintenance wise than your current Nissan. Yes, it uses ONLY synthetic oil, which is more expensive than conventional motor oil, but this can be found at Walmart (Mobil 1 European Formula 0W-40). Change the oil regularly, easy enough to tackle yourself if you have even basic mechanical skills. For the rest of the maintenance, just keep in mind "it's ALWAYS cheaper to maintain than repair" - which holds true for ANY car, not just BMW. Luckily, this is a a fantastic forum, so if you get the car and have any questions - ask away. We are a helpful bunch and typically have either the answer or a resource to find the answer you are looking for.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Frankie, if you stop back with another post you'll get plenty of advice. Not anxious to respond, since there's so many "one and done" first posters.

Thanks.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 PM

It's a 528ix. I'm a big believer in synthetic oil as it is, so that shouldn't be a huge change.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiesez View Post
Hey all first time poster, was hoping I could get some advice/insight.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether the horror stories about Beamers are true (so naturally I decide to post on a forum full of people who likely love their Beamers )

My mother in law is getting rid of her 2008 5-series (I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure which one, but I believe its the xi), just under 40k miles. She will sell it to me for around $15k (KBB is between $17 and $21k). The first owner was a BMW OCD/Type-A maniac and took immaculate care of it, and my ma in law basically only drove it 1.5 miles to her school and back home per day.

My father in law who bought it for her was really impressed with the meticulousness of the first owner (and my father in law himself is quite meticulous) who buys them new and gets a new one after 20k miles or so.

I currently drive a 2002 Nissan Altima SE, 3.5L with just under 160k that I love. I'm not necessarily a 'car guy', but love to feel the road and feel a good engine under me. We have our first baby on the way, and I will say that in all likelihood, I should replace my car soon as I also have a client-facing job and my Altima is showing some wear.

Again, trying to weigh whether I will feel like a bigger dope for passing up getting a $20k car for $15k, or after spending thousands of dollars in maintenance and overpriced oil changes.

Oh also it has 2 years left on a warranty (not sure which one, or if there are different ones). I am told by a friend who is a car guy that I will probably need to do brakes/rotors soon.

If you need to buy a younger car then I think this is a good choice. That engine is pretty reliable and mature.
Regarding costs. An $18k car loses $5k in 2 years. It's amortization only regardless of the make, even a Toyota. You would buy it for $15k. So your depreciation loss would be $2k in the first 2 years and you still have $3k for repair costs to be equal to an ideal car that needs $0 maintenance. Also you have warranty. And in this 2 years you can experience the BMW ownership costs yourself and will be able to decide if you keep it or not after the warranty expires.

Go for it only if you like the car (general advice). Use it for a week or rent a similar one on a car sharing site.

If you don't need another car and you still like the Altima then of course it's cheaper to keep that up and running than buying the BMW.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
It's a 528ix. I'm a big believer in synthetic oil as it is, so that shouldn't be a huge change.
Take a look at the "So you just bought an E60", in the top sticky. Good place to get the basics.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530I, Sports Package
At that price and the active warranty, I would chance it. The current mileage looks pretty good also. Besides, BMW cars are not that hard to fix if you are willing to take risks and stock up new tools as you go.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Great, thanks very much to all the posters for the insight! I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

We are real close with my wife's parents, so we have both driven the car a good bit and love it. Also, we know that they (meaning my father in law!) took immaculate care of it.

This seems like a good opportunity for me to own another car that I will (hopefully) love, and a luxury car that I likely wouldn't buy from a dealer or even certified pre-owned. I have some good leads on independent mechanics in the area as well. My father in law just had new tires put on a few months back.

Someone on the Edmunds forum posted some doubt that the car was worth $20k in excellent condition, which I just confirmed on KBB. Just curiosity, but is this just an "I know cars better than the next guy" mentality that is based on nothing other than his own intuition?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Great, thanks very much to all the posters for the insight! I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

We are real close with my wife's parents, so we have both driven the car a good bit and love it. Also, we know that they (meaning my father in law!) took immaculate care of it.

This seems like a good opportunity for me to own another car that I will (hopefully) love, and a luxury car that I likely wouldn't buy from a dealer or even certified pre-owned. I have some good leads on independent mechanics in the area as well. My father in law just had new tires put on a few months back.

Someone on the Edmunds forum posted some doubt that the car was worth $20k in excellent condition, which I just confirmed on KBB. Just curiosity, but is this just an "I know cars better than the next guy" mentality that is based on nothing other than his own intuition?
That's the most important point. The 528 engine is a very solid one, and the rest of it is very manageable if you learn to do the "usual" DIY. You can save enough to more than offset that expensive trip to the dealer/indy once in awhile.

Under 40K and well maintained is a bargain at $20K. You can't go wrong with a normally aspirated BMW I-6. Care for it and it'll give you 200K miles. Important: around 50K or so, change the tranny fluid and filter -- critical to keeping your ZF transmission operating well. Follow the rest of the maintenance suggestions in "so you just bought", and you should be able to give the car to your kid. Remember, there is no such thing as "lifetime" fluids.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 03-04-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Under 40K and well maintained is a bargain at $20K.
So @ $15k are you telling me its a steal?!

I really do enjoy learning new things, and hobbies (particularly DIY) in general, but I have just never been more of a 'plug n' play' and trust-the-mechanic person when it comes to cars, so torque wrenches, bleeding coolant systems, and replacing water pumps are all things that are a bit new (I don't want to say 'intimidating', but I will) to a guy that can check oil, washer fluid and check air pressure on a good day.

Thanks again! I will be back...
Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
LOL, yes, as with the everyone else here, I would go for it. The car is low mileage, well maintained, AND has a warranty? My question is: what are you waiting for? Get it, and start REALLY enjoying both the car and the bountiful information you can get here.
My first piece of advice: learn what the warranty does and does not cover. For the things it covers the dealership is fine, for all else, look around your area for a good and reasonable indy shop to do any additional work that may be needed that isn't covered by warranty and you can't do yourself. Keep in mind, if you are fairly handy there is a wealth of info here to help you take good car of the car.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535 xi, 2007 Mini S,
Life's too short to drive that Nissan! Get the BMW, every time you drive it you will know you made the right choice. My car, a2008 still has me finding excuses to drive somewhere! Only 76 K on mine (third car), . I have a 2007 Cooper S and a 2012 Tiguan VW and I much prefer my 535. I drive a Sprinter Van 2012 for work all day so it is nice to jump into the Bimmer, crank the tunes, turn on the heated seats and steering wheel and DRIVE!
2008 535xi. 6MT,Cobb tune. ER FMIC ER charge pipe with Tial BOV,,R1 Concepts drilled rotors. Beyern mesh staggered wheels 18", Continental DW. M5tech rear bumper, Umnitza quad exhaust. Injen intake. KW V3 coilovers. USN Veteran USS Robert H. McCard DD822, USS Butte AE27
Old 03-04-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
So @ $15k are you telling me its a steal?!

I really do enjoy learning new things, and hobbies (particularly DIY) in general, but I have just never been more of a 'plug n' play' and trust-the-mechanic person when it comes to cars, so torque wrenches, bleeding coolant systems, and replacing water pumps are all things that are a bit new (I don't want to say 'intimidating', but I will) to a guy that can check oil, washer fluid and check air pressure on a good day.

Thanks again! I will be back...
If it's well maintained, I'll write him a check today for $15K (if you don't want it). It's a steal.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfuncomet View Post
Life's too short to drive that Nissan! Get the BMW, every time you drive it you will know you made the right choice. My car, a2008 still has me finding excuses to drive somewhere! Only 76 K on mine (third car), . I have a 2007 Cooper S and a 2012 Tiguan VW and I much prefer my 535. I drive a Sprinter Van 2012 for work all day so it is nice to jump into the Bimmer, crank the tunes, turn on the heated seats and steering wheel and DRIVE!
Ha! Well as I said, I really do like the Nissan a lot, and would continue to drive it for a few more years...but the 528 should be a hell of an upgrade.

Thanks to all for the advice, and again, I will be back.

One other question: what would you guys suggest for a total novice/noob when it comes to learning car maintenance? I would love to change my own oil (maybe fluids?) and be able to have at least a rudimentary understanding of what is going on under the hood. Is there like a "For Dummies" book or another 'bible' that people swear by?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Ha! Well as I said, I really do like the Nissan a lot, and would continue to drive it for a few more years...but the 528 should be a hell of an upgrade.

Thanks to all for the advice, and again, I will be back.

One other question: what would you guys suggest for a total novice/noob when it comes to learning car maintenance? I would love to change my own oil (maybe fluids?) and be able to have at least a rudimentary understanding of what is going on under the hood. Is there like a "For Dummies" book or another 'bible' that people swear by?
Speaking of which: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/home-g...tomobiles.html

If you're totally new, start with a dummies book to get acquainted on the concepts.

Pick the simple items first: air filter, oil and filter. Maintenance stuff. Bavauto has tutorials on the basics. Youtubes discuss the simple stuff.

After that, swap the solenoids on your transmission.

(just kidding.)

Get the basic Craftsman or Hope Depot toolkit. Don't need anything really complex. Tools for the job you're about to do: oil change is a filter housing wrench and a drain pan (the kind you can cap and take to dump the oil). Get jackstands and a floor jack, and learn basic safety. Use the oil change to learn how to buy the right parts from the right places.

The point is to get your hands on the car and get over the fear of doing something wrong.

Take a look at the "So you just bought an E60" and check the list of maintenance items for what you can do.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530XI
Bentley manual, The DIY section and the right cable for codes and coding should cover most everything.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Not sure, but I am a little leery buying BMW that only be driven 1.5mile a day.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
2008 528xi with 40K miles and well taken care of, and couple of years of warranty left for $15K.
Where can I drop off the cash? Seriously.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM

Admittedly, this is without a doubt a 'family discount'. My father in law said it pained to even get rid of the car, but since its staying in the family, he's happy. He could obviously get significantly more even selling it to a dealer. Either way, I need to grab him a bottle (case?) of Lagavulin.

@HPIA, 1.5 miles each way per day is her standard commute. They did take it on trips here and there, and for her to drive around town and 60 miles east to see us. What is your specific concern with low usage?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Admittedly, this is without a doubt a 'family discount'. My father in law said it pained to even get rid of the car, but since its staying in the family, he's happy. He could obviously get significantly more even selling it to a dealer. Either way, I need to grab him a bottle (case?) of Lagavulin.

@HPIA, 1.5 miles each way per day is her standard commute. They did take it on trips here and there, and for her to drive around town and 60 miles east to see us. What is your specific concern with low usage?
Tell your FIL that there's a group here willing to start a bidding war for it....

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
Quote:

If the car had one trip per week long enough the engine to reach the operating temperature (like minimum 30minutes of driving) then it should be fine. Otherwise the engine oil won't reach all the tiny places (the warmer the oil is the thinner it is so it can get into tiny places). Plus the valves could have deposits on them by short distance driving. You need to burn out those deposits by driving fast occasionally.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 AM

Pulled the trigger gents. First ride down the I-90 between Buffalo and Rochester, and my God do I love this car. I just need to name her. Frontrunners are:

-Brenda
-Beatrix
-Yvonne
-Gretchen
-Stephanie

Thanks for all the advice! Now just need to sell my Altima. Got it detailed, and going to see what Carmax will give me, but also looking into private sale.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Pulled the trigger gents. First ride down the I-90 between Buffalo and Rochester, and my God do I love this car. I just need to name her. Frontrunners are:

-Brenda
-Beatrix
-Yvonne
-Gretchen
-Stephanie

Thanks for all the advice! Now just need to sell my Altima. Got it detailed, and going to see what Carmax will give me, but also looking into private sale.
Just start the maintenance cycle now and you'll be able to give it to your kid. Particularly keep that ZF happy.

Good luck.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i
Quote:
Pulled the trigger gents. First ride down the I-90 between Buffalo and Rochester, and my God do I love this car. ...
Love to see this! I was going to chime in with one of the "Let me call you in-laws, I want it" kind of comments.

FWIW, I bought a 2007 528i from a friend when it was at 46k miles. Have NOT regretted it now almost 4 years later and I have run the thing up to 92k miles. The biggest thing that might hit you is a battery change sooner than later. The damn things are stupid money and need to be coded to the cars. Read up on that one, but just know that when that goes it's a $400 problem, but don't worry - it doesn't mean everything else is ridiculous, and if you're under warranty, pull in to the dealer even just to get new windshield wipers for free the moment they streak even once on you.

I would say the only other thing that was surprising to me about this car, other than how much I really love it.... is the way it wears the inside of the rear tires. The xi might be different, but all these cars have the camber set to where the rear tires are kinda "splayed out" and it wears the tires where you can't see it without getting down on your knees to look at it, and even feel for separation. I've been driving for 35 years and have experienced precisely 4 flats in my life - 3 of those on this car! Could be just odd luck (believe me, I drive quite conservatively so it's not that), but I recently had the rear aligned "out of spec" to straighten them up and I'm happier. Don't notice any difference since I'm not flying the Autobahn anyway.

Enjoy the heck out of your new ride, it's a beautiful machine!