Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
SCR Tank fix options

My first post here comes as a jaded car owner and forum user, so I must apologize in advance for the tone I'm sure to use.

So, according to the rude guy at the local BMW dealer, my 2010 335d needs a new SCR tank which will run me $2400 for the part and installation. They offered no other options.

This is clearly a sensor issue in the tank. BMW, I guess going off years of data proving their sensors are extremely reliable (sarcasm) decided to make the sensors irreplaceable (apparently) and requires the whole tank be replaced in this situation.

Now, I'm sure everyone reading this knows that DEF is not at all crucial to the performance of the car, but is a component in the line of the exhaust that virtually eliminates the NOx coming out the car's ass. You might think this sounds a lot like a catalytic converter, as it uses NH3 as a catalyst to convert the NOx into N2 and H2O. But alas, this is not the case. According to BMW and our Gubment (THANKS OBAMAS!!!) a catalytic converter only counts as one if it's a part that couldn't ever really fail anyway due to no mechanical or electrical components. Due to this, it is only required to cover a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty, rather than the far more sensical 8 year/80,000 mile warranty a "real" catalytic converter would be required to use. (Yes, I know this has nothing to do with Obama, just give this one to me)

All this adds up to a broken sensor somewhere in the tank, which to properly replace would cost me $800 and a long Sunday afternoon (or $2400 + loaner costs at the gaudy BMW dealer that was just shocked (SHOCKED!) that I wouldn't just leave the car with them under these circumstances).

In my searches, I found nothing to my liking, but I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable and helpful folks in this forum could offer some advice. My options right now are:

1 (preferred option). Trick the sensors. Now, I know all of you just let out a collective gasp that could be heard on the ISS despite the lack of sufficient atmosphere between here and there. But, I don't think it's right for Obama to disable my car, which I need, due to a sensor that will cost me a significant amount of money to fix. Also, it's fun to fight 'the man'. Any information about the pin-outs and expected readings would be just super grand.

2. Replace the sensors. It doesn't look like this will be possible as the sensors seem to be one with the tank. But throwing it out there in case anyone does have info on that.

3. Replace the tank myself. Looks like I can get one for $800, maybe less if I go to a junkyard, and it looks easy to replace, but if anyone has any how-to information, tips, or links to a manual would be great. I was going to buy a shop manual, but I don't see any out there that I felt guaranteed they'd have information on how to replace the SCR tank anyway, as they seem to be E90 generic.

I know, I'm asking for information without offering anything in return so I'm in no position to make demands. I do implore you though, if you don't have anything useful to add, please do not reply. In my search for information related to this issue, I had to scroll through pages of replies that simply caused my eyes to recede into my brain until I passed out, only to awaken later, tied to a table, getting an endoscopy from a grey.

Last edited by IhateBMW; 03-04-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
You might read this thread and make your own conclusion. Mine is that there is probably an issue with your DEF level sensor and if was my car I would do a couple things. Fill the tank as full as possible after siphoning the tank dry and refilling with water and doing the same thing to try and clean the tank out.
Also not the poster that mentioned that the 2010 does list the SCR as emissions warranted.
Good read and good luck...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=626953&page=2
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
You might read this thread and make your own conclusion. Mine is that there is probably an issue with your DEF level sensor and if was my car I would do a couple things. Fill the tank as full as possible after siphoning the tank dry and refilling with water and doing the same thing to try and clean the tank out.
Also not the poster that mentioned that the 2010 does list the SCR as emissions warranted.
Good read and good luck...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=626953&page=2
Ah thanks. Good idea, I read up on ammonia crystallization and it seems flushing with warm water may just do the trick. I'll report back once I do that.

I gave my best at causing a scene at the BMW dealer, but to no avail on the warranty coverage. They insist it's only covered by the 2/24 no matter how many articles of clothing I strip off.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Annoying, to say the least. Especially since the "C" in "SCR" stands for Catalytic.

There's a good chance a flush with water will, at least for a time, fix the problem. I seem to recall someone - maybe it was on a new F3x - that was able to replace the sensor, but I'm unable to find the thread.

Too bad you're in TX; if you were in the 13-state California emissions consortium you'd be covered to 7/70.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: E63, C300 and 335d
Oh boy - I've been down this road - TWICE ! My 2010 335d, at 56,000 miles had a sensor in the tank go bad. They replaced the whole tank under the extended emissions warranty (which is 70k in CA I believe). Around 3,000 miles later, I had a puddle of DEF fluid on the garage floor at both work and home. I noticed both puddles only after my Low DEF warning light lit up. At the dealer, they replaced the tank again (this time it took THREE weeks to wait for it to arrive from Germany). Thankfully I was in a loaner car the whole time. I can't offer any thoughts here - just sharing one of MANY experiences (which include carbon buildup, blocked fuel injectors, a cracked intake manifold and driving almost a year with my SES light on more than out).
Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Finally was forced by Obama to address this issue so I'm resurrecting it. I'm curious how others have extracted old DEF from their systems. I can't get a tube into the filler ports (my tubes are too big), and the caps on the service ports illustrated in the SI B 16 01 09 DEF Extraction and Refill bulletin don't seem to come off with brute force.

On a side note, I was able to determine the passive tank level sensor is my issue. It's hard to access though, so I'm wondering if anyone know where to get a wiring diagram for the DEF system? There's an assortment of wires near the service ports, and I'm hoping all the sensors lead there. But I have no way to know right now. It would also be nice to know acceptable ranges for those sensors. All of this is documented in the service shops. I had an easier time getting ahold of a Ferrari SD3 than anything resembling a shop manual for the 335d.

TL;DR - I need to know how to extract DEF from the tanks (Tiny hose through filler port or how to get the service port caps off without destroying them). Also, I need information on the DEF system wiring and sensor readings.

Thanks!