Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i X-Drive Coupe
Angry New member...all kinds of rinky dink issues, but seems like everything is fine.

Hi All. New member on the forum...lurked for a while and this forum is a nice place to gain insight, especially on DIY issues. Great to be here!

I'm the owner of a 2012 335i X-Drive and loved the first year I had this car.

-Fast forward to November, 2013. First day below 30 degrees and my tire inflation indicator lights up like a Christmas Tree. Checked the levels and each tire needed a couple pounds of air. Filled them up, reset the indicator and we were all set...no big deal.

-December gives me the seemingly all too common Increased Battery Discharge message. Looked on the boards, told me to drive a little more (I'm only 6500 miles driven in the first 14 months of having the car at this time), so I did and the message went away for a while.

-Same message occurs in January when I was stuck out of town and didn't start the car for 4 days and again in later January when I didn't start the car for an entire weekend. I bought one of the BMW Advanced Charging Systems after that and charged it up in Mid February.

-Everything is peachy with this indicator until this morning. Same Battery Discharge message. So I'm going to take it to the dealer this time.

If I have to charge this battery every 2.5 weeks, I'm not going to be the happiest of campers. While I only drive the car about 50-60 miles on average in a typical week, I normally drive it every day. Absolutely no understanding why the battery would drain to below 80% in 2.5 weeks time when it was absolutely fine with the same driving pattern the first year I had it. Hopefully they either find something wrong with the battery or charging capabilities. Funny thing is if I turn it off right after I get this message and turn it back on, there's no Discharge message. That said, I shouldn't have to do this to make the issue go away.

-Oil Service light came on on the way home from work yesterday, but that was an easy fix thanks to reading here.

I love this car, but I hate turning it on to a big yellow car that is either on a lift or says SERVICE on the dash. I already get plenty of triangles with snowflakes showing up!
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Update...they found a power management fault when they did a diagnosis. Replaced the battery and I was on my way!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Your driving habits tell me you're going to need to keep your car on a battery tender like the one you bought.

Otherwise, you're battery will drain and give you that increased discharge message at least once a month.

If you really want to save the battery, consider this option....get a jb4. While it gives you a bump in power, you also have the option to quickly activate transport mode via the steering wheel.

Transport mode does a few things like limit speed of he vehicle/engine and also disable some features. The features that are disabled will help keep your battery charged. Transport mode will limit "wakes" that the car does periodically to monitor various systems.

It takes less than a couple seconds to turn on/off transport mode via the jb4.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Your driving habits tell me you're going to need to keep your car on a battery tender like the one you bought.

Otherwise, you're battery will drain and give you that increased discharge message at least once a month.

If you really want to save the battery, consider this option....get a jb4. While it gives you a bump in power, you also have the option to quickly activate transport mode via the steering wheel.

Transport mode does a few things like limit speed of he vehicle/engine and also disable some features. The features that are disabled will help keep your battery charged. Transport mode will limit "wakes" that the car does periodically to monitor various systems.

It takes less than a couple seconds to turn on/off transport mode via the jb4.
Yep, my service advisor told me not to put away the tender quite yet. Said it would be a good idea to put it on the tender once a month or if I know I'm not going to start the car for a few days.

No idea what a jb4 is but I'll do a search. Thanks for the heads up!